family tent help

Jbuck

FNG
So, I am finding the limits of our family tent and looking to upgrade. I am looking for a walk in tent or boat in tent with a family, 2 adults, 2 kids(6&10) and a dog. Probably only be used in the summer and early fall. So no snow or much cold weather. Our normal use is going to the national parks and boating around a lake to find a open site and setting up camp for 3-4days at a time.

I was thinking about a Seek Outside 8man tipi and maybe a courthouse. I thought about the canvas tents like the springbar or kodiak canvas, but sometimes there isn't the room. The 8man tipi has guyouts so could shrink up on the short sides if needed. Is the half nest big enough for a couple adults and kids?

typical use is probably 15-20 nights a year so I don't mind spending money on something that will last a long time.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
The Kodiak canvas flexbow has been a great tent for my family. We got the one with the extra vents and I'm glad we did.

Canvas is the way to go. You’re gonna need a big one for your family and your dog Make sure you have a good stove. Also, you might want to consider bunk cots for the kids.

The canvas tents are the way to go for car camping but for boating I think they may be too bulky to tote around.

The Seek tents will pack down much smaller.

OP
Jbuck

Jbuck

FNG
Is Kodiak better then springbar then? Would prefer to spend money on usa made goods but not if it's less quality.

Another Vite for kodiak canvas. Great product and bullet proof. We camp as a family very similar to you. Took ours through a microburst where every other tent was flattened, and ours didn’t even budge. Only drawback is weight. But well worth it!

TxxAgg

WKR
I have the Kodiak 10x10. Same size/age family plus a dog. The size is fine but it is heavy.

Edit: tent, poles, and stakes pack down to 60# and 12" tall, 16" wide, 45" long

IMG_7730.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Jbuck

Jbuck

FNG
Thanks for the offer but I'm sure it's gotta be close to the weight listed on the site so it wouldnt be worth the hassel for you. I'll look into bunk beds eventually. But we have some marine bean bags that the boys usually just sleep on for now.

I went through this exact same thing with almost identical family size. I bought the seek 8 man tipi. It's been great, but the biggest complaint I have is finding a suitable spot to pitch it. The footprint is massive.

We bought the half nest, which the wife and I occupy with spacious room. For the kids, ages 6 and 5, we actually pitch a small tent INSIDE of the tipi for them to have as their own space.

OP
Jbuck

Jbuck

FNG
Last weekend we tried out the big Costco 2 room tent, but it's tough to find a clearing big enough. And we all ended up sleeping in the same side anyways.

20230730_084957.jpg
20230730_084953.jpg

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
+1 on the canvas recommendation for all-around best internal climate.

If you’re open to going floorless, you can usually set up right over any site pad measurements too.

Finally, Tentipi’s cotpolymex canvas fabrics enable much lighter and smaller packing canvas tents than you may be used to and I encourage you to take a closer look here - www. mansfieldoutdoors.com.

Feel free to contact me directly as well with any questions or concerns.

Kind regards,

OP
Jbuck

Jbuck

FNG
Well spent this weekend camping as well. We got rained out, thanks PNW, but would have been nice to make coffee and start breakfast out of the rain.

If I was back to looking at the kodiak lodge with vestibule bundle or cabelas Alaknak outfitter with vestibule. Both in 12x12 and would probably be adding a small stove to either. What are the pros and cons? As well as how easy for a adult and 10yo to set either up? Mom is usually trailing behind while we make camp. Any issues with longevity, buy once cry once? And anything else I need to consider?

adoyle

FNG
I’m a fan of my SO 8man. Great for family camping and future Elk camp tent. Sxl stove is enough but I wouldn’t go smaller

So, I am finding the limits of our family tent and looking to upgrade. I am looking for a walk in tent or boat in tent with a family, 2 adults, 2 kids(6&10) and a dog. Probably only be used in the summer and early fall. So no snow or much cold weather. Our normal use is going to the national parks and boating around a lake to find a open site and setting up camp for 3-4days at a time.

I was thinking about a Seek Outside 8man tipi and maybe a courthouse. I thought about the canvas tents like the springbar or kodiak canvas, but sometimes there isn't the room. The 8man tipi has guyouts so could shrink up on the short sides if needed. Is the half nest big enough for a couple adults and kids?

typical use is probably 15-20 nights a year so I don't mind spending money on something that will last a long time.

87TT

WKR
Big Agnes bunk house six person.
I just bought one of these and will be using it for elk camp by myself. Nice and big and can use it with family and friends if needed. I like that it’s stuff sack is a backpack.

Well spent this weekend camping as well. We got rained out, thanks PNW, but would have been nice to make coffee and start breakfast out of the rain.

If I was back to looking at the kodiak lodge with vestibule bundle or cabelas Alaknak outfitter with vestibule. Both in 12x12 and would probably be adding a small stove to either. What are the pros and cons? As well as how easy for a adult and 10yo to set either up? Mom is usually trailing behind while we make camp. Any issues with longevity, buy once cry once? And anything else I need to consider?
I've got a 12x12 alaknak that I got probably 6 years ago. It's been a great tent and held up in wind, rain and snow. That being said, have some friends get new ones in the last two years that had seam failures and leaked to the point of standing water on the floor. Personally, I don't trust Cabela's since merging with Bass Pro and would go the Kodiak Canvas route before Alaknak.

I would not recommend a 10x10 Kodiak for your sized group unless you have a separate screen house, etc. you plan on cooking and lounging in.

We have a 10x14 deluxe and with 2 adults, 2 dogs, 2 chairs, a 4 foot table for a stove, cook gear - I would not want to go smaller.

We can set our Kodiak up in less than 10 minutes and it’s been great so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpk

WKR
I had a similar question in the spring and ended up buying a Springbar 10x10 for the wife, daughter, dog, and myself. The wife really wanted a 10x14 but I was concerned about the footprint size in the state parks here.

We compromised and got the 10x10 Classic Jack with the addition of the portico panels (I liked these more than the Kodiak option). We put a small table under the "awning" with most of our junk on it that would otherwise be inside the tent. We've been quite happy with this set-up.

Only issue I have had is we got rained on while packing up on the last trip. Had to rush home (5 hours) and wash all the mud off the tent and then let it dry for several days before storing.