Faster Tikka 300win mag twist

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you stuck with the factory bottom “metal” (composite) and magazine, you would still have to seat bullets that would benefit from the faster twist pretty deep.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta be a misprint right?? I didn’t see anything about 1in 10 on their www. (I looked for about 1 solid minute before the ADD took over)

sure would be nice tho!

@Roksliding tikka ain’t great about updating their website.

I am going to call europtic to confirm. i have been nodding on a 300 WM and a roughtech 1:10 might put me over the line.

ericwh

WKR
I saw a tikka factory barrel on eBay that was a 300 win mag 1-9 twist. Maybe it was off a special run like the 1-8 22-250 rifles

I asked on here about the possibility of that barrel being what he advertised and I think we determined the stamping on the barrel had nothing to do with twist rate. If you look at the stamping on other tikka barrels they are numbers and letters that have nothing to do with twist rate - more likely some other sort of code.

If the 300wsm came in 1:10 I'd be happy.

Last edited:

ericwh

WKR
Gotta be a misprint right?? I didn’t see anything about 1in 10 on their www. (I looked for about 1 solid minute before the ADD took over)

sure would be nice tho!

It does have the "R10" extension on the part number.. if I search that part number it comes up on other websites listing 1:10 twist.

@Roksliding tikka ain’t great about updating their website.

I am going to call europtic to confirm. i have been nodding on a 300 WM and a roughtech 1:10 might put me over the line.

Any word?

If they are making the 300 win mag with a 1:10 twist I imagine just a matter of time until the other .30 cal are offered?

It does have the "R10" extension on the part number.. if I search that part number it comes up on other websites listing 1:10 twist.

Any word?

If they are making the 300 win mag with a 1:10 twist I imagine just a matter of time until the other .30 cal are offered?
i called Europtic. the guy answering the phone was nice enough and said "yes" but i don't think he really knew for sure. I also asked if they barrel was stainless steel under the bluing and he didn't know.

I put in a call (voicemail) and an inquiry through the Berretta website as well. I will post here if I learn anything more.

Response from beretta:

“300 Winchester Magnum caliber models use 1:11".

The barrel is carbon steel with parkerizing.

Kind regards,

Beretta Technical Services”

You cant really use bullets that require a 10 twist unless you go AICS bottom metal and even then my understanding is you still need to do some machining on the receiver to make it work with a longer COAL.

So maybe for WSM where it's a simple mag / bolt stop change it would be nice but not really much benefit on the WM model.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dragging up this thread. Looked at a T3X stainless in 300WM tonight. 300 Win Mag 10" stamped on the barrel just like that. If that's not a ten twist they got some explaining to do for stamping 10" on it after the caliber lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dragging up this thread. Looked at a T3X stainless in 300WM tonight. 300 Win Mag 10" stamped on the barrel just like that. If that's not a ten twist they got some explaining to do for stamping 10" on it after the caliber lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm in the same boat as sneaky... just got a Roughtech 300WM and it has 10" stamped on the barrel. Kind of hoping that means 1:10 but the manual still says 11". Maybe they forgot to update the manual for the roughtechs?

Gila

WKR
I'm in the same boat as sneaky... just got a Roughtech 300WM and it has 10" stamped on the barrel. Kind of hoping that means 1:10 but the manual still says 11". Maybe they forgot to update the manual for the roughtechs?
I bought my 300 Win. Mag this spring before Tikka had even updated their website with model numbers reflecting the new twist. Yup, you are good to go with a 1:10” twist. Also on the box the model number ends with “R10” which indicates 1:10” twist. I have not been able to get a hold of any “heavies” yet but it shoots tight groups at 400 yards with 180 Accubonds.

I bought my 300 Win. Mag this spring before Tikka had even updated their website with model numbers reflecting the new twist. Yup, you are good to go with a 1:10” twist. Also on the box the model number ends with “R10” which indicates 1:10” twist. I have not been able to get a hold of any “heavies” yet but it shoots tight groups at 400 yards with 180 Accubonds.
Awesome - thanks Gila! I appreciate you letting me know. That's fantastic news. I know a lot of people were bummed at their prior 1:11 twist and I don't blame them. I haven't even fired her yet, but I have a box of some 200 grain ELD-Xs and another of some 150 grain Federals, so we'll see how those work. Having trouble tracking down any 180s at the moment.