Favorite/best headlamp?

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I need to pick up a new one. I've run through several "cheap" ones over the last 10 years that I've picked up out of convenience but I've never put the effort into looking for a good one....not sure why.

There's a ton of them on the market and I'm getting lost in the search. I like light weight/low bulk, headband (not cap bill stuff), adjustable brightness/beam, handles being soaked in rain, tough. Option or red light is a plus.

Recommendations (or non-recommendations) with links would be greatly appreciated on any you've used.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
In our Raffle + Review on Headlamps we rate Black Diamond as the "best" overall brand based on a bunch of different factors. The Storm 400 is the top choice from our winners. We rate the Spot 350 up there as well.

If you need a lighter backup / emergency option, the Flare would be a great choice for that.

If you were against Black Diamond for whatever reason - Check out Petzl as a close second.

Geardo

FNG
Nitecore SU25 weights about an oz. Good when you don’t plan on using it a lot.

On a night SAR mission or tracking I would prefer an 18650 Armytek in “warm”. Lots of useable light.

tunafed

FNG
I have two zebralights 18650 floody 4k color versions. Use one for working a grave yard shift on airplanes and one for hunting. I usually trash headlamps pretty regularly at work. I've had this one a couple years now. Besides smelling like jet fuel, hyd fluid and grease it works just as good as the day I got it. The 4k color is easier on my eyes and it doesn't wash out colors nearly as much. Makes it easier to find blood at night as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Ive got black diamond spots, storms, a fenix hl60r and few petzls. No complaints about any of em. But I prefer the princeton tec remix because of sheer simplicity in my whitetail/day hunt kit. I wouldnt take it on a multi day backpack hunt just because it doesnt lock. Probably wouldnt get bumped on in my pack, but murphys law is real. Id probably go with the fenix if I could only have 1 - doesnt lock like the black diamonds, but you have to hold it for a half second to power it on. It isnt going to get bumped on.

The peax is interesting, looks similar to a nitecore hc series.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Zebralight with 18650 for me too. Use it daily several months a year doing chores and throughout hunting season. Excellent battery life and incredibly bright when on full power.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Nitecore for a few years. Very happy with it. I like that it is rechargeable.
Might also take a look at Olight and Fenix.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Zebralight makes great stuff but the SureFire minimus I my favorite very light fully dimmable and the best CS out there.

Zappaman

WKR
I am an LED light seller and have been for about 5 years. I've been selling/gifting the Sofirn D25... over 50 in two years here in Kansas to hunters, Amish barn builders, and farmers. It's a 100% hit with zero failures in a few years.

It is the best made headlamp money can buy (and comes with a good battery- unlike 99% of the garbage sold on ebay, etc.). I'm passing thie info without selling anything here as they are just recently available IN THE US!

They have "milled and polished" aluminum reflectors, and a REAL waterproof USB recharging port (not a rubber thing, but sealed o-ring access- easy as hell- with an LED light thet goes red to green telling you when charged). These are the guys who OEM for some of the stuff mentioned above BTW.

I highly suggest the "5000k" option. Buy two.. they ARE cheap (right now- on sale). You'll thank me later.

PS. buy WITH the battery- unless you have a stash of GOOD 18650 batteries already.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
as of now i use a petlz bindi and nitecore NU25 - they have both been great for me.
I have a peax duo on the way and will be running it through the ringer here soon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using a couple Petzl's for some time now. I think my latest one is an XP. They have different light levels, which then corresponds to how long the batteries last. The main purpose I use the headlamps for is breaking down animals in the dark. I use enough light to be able to see well, and the batteries have always lasted through the breakdown and packout. However, I always have extra batteries in my pack for just in case.

I'm a Nitecore fan. My headlamp is an HC33. Its been a great light for 3 years now. I bought the Helmet Clamp to replace the elastic head harness. I can swap it out to any hat I happen to be wearing that day in seconds.