Favorite Organizations

Life member of the following: Wild Sheep Foundation, Wild Sheep Society of British Columbia, Colorado Bowhunters Association and the NRA.

Senior member of Pope and Young Club, and a member of BC Wildlife, my local Fish &Game club, and the nearby ranges....archery, rifle and shotgun. Also Grand Slam Club and SCI.

lak2004

WKR
BHA, RMEF, NWTF, TU and The Wildlife Society. Have been apart of others and will again, but can only have so many irons in the fire. I think they all do something well. People seem to forget that it takes VOLUNTEER effort to keep them going. Sure there are the folks getting paid, but they wouldn't get anywhere without the volunteers. I put in time with both BHA and RMEF often.

lak2004

WKR
I love mule deer and joined the MDF. I donated a little over $550 last year. They just came out with all the projects and habitat improvements they did here this last year. They spent almost $300k which is good. Except it is all done on private land. I asked them a question and they don't respond. So I am done with them. I am also a RMEF member. I almost got sucked in by BHA but lucked out there.

Something to consider with private land conservation is the all-lands approach that is happening. Mule deer, elk and almost every other game animal use private lands for refuge. I wouldn't let the good work that MDF does (they partner with other groups and state/federal agencies on projects) dissuade you just because they spend money on private lands. The animals do not know political or social boundaries, and MDF is all about mule deer and the species that also benefit from their work.

Something to consider with private land conservation is the all-lands approach that is happening. Mule deer, elk and almost every other game animal use private lands for refuge. I wouldn't let the good work that MDF does (they partner with other groups and state/federal agencies on projects) dissuade you just because they spend money on private lands. The animals do not know political or social boundaries, and MDF is all about mule deer and the species that also benefit from their work.

And when those landowners don't let anyone hunt on their land how does that help? Why not improve the public land until you can't improve it anymore than start working on the private?

I will keep my money instead of paying to improve someone else's land.

lak2004

WKR
And when those landowners don't let anyone hunt on their land how does that help? Why not improve the public land until you can't improve it anymore than start working on the private?

I will keep my money instead of paying to improve someone else's land.
Did you miss the point where wildlife does not know political or social boundaries? Would you like to fence them out of private so they cannot seek refuge? Private land owners don't have to let you hunt their land, that's their choice. Are you a landowner?

Did you miss the point where wildlife does not know political or social boundaries? Would you like to fence them out of private so they cannot seek refuge? Private land owners don't have to let you hunt their land, that's their choice. Are you a landowner?

Yep about 1/5 of an acre ;) Did you miss the part about not wanting to spend money to improve private land that I can't hunt?

Do you not understand that the animals will seek refuge on that private whether we improve it or not? Animals are going to go where there isn't any pressure. Which is going to be private that doesn't allow others to hunt.

lak2004

WKR
Yep about 1/5 of an acre ;) Did you miss the part about not wanting to spend money to improve private land that I can't hunt?

Do you not understand that the animals will seek refuge on that private whether we improve it or not? Animals are going to go where there isn't any pressure. Which is going to be private that doesn't allow others to hunt.
Sure guy, you win.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with most people on this stuff. We donated money to BHA and a couple of local Nonprofits(one works on public land and one protects ag land). We also donated product to TU, MDF, RMEF. It sometimes feels like you need to join half a dozen orgs so you can support half of what they do and fight the other half. Not sure if i should join a bunch or just stop sending money to any of them.

Okhotnik

WKR
TU
Ruffed grouse society
CCA. Great organization for fisherman
REMF. Renewed after they backed off the wolf introduction
NRA
NAVHDA
P@Y
MDF
Sportsmen alliance
Wildlife society
BHA. Not renewing this year

sneaky

"DADDY"
Many thanks for the explanation ericF. Seems like a valid use of funds. Yes, when I see things like that pop up in a 990, 'shady stuff' bells go off, and maybe incorrectly. But I don't think its necessarily a disservice - its questioning where the funds are going, and where my potential donation would go. I think your insight into this particular issue goes beyond 'basic investigation' that one could reasonably perform. When I see several things like that coupled together, there is reason to doubt the transparency of the organization and how much of my potential donation actually makes it to the proclaimed cause. In this case, my doubts were possibly a misjudgment. But I've seen plenty of how these organizations work to know to be cautious (worked for a nonprofit once too, which is how I found out about 990's, etc.)

Thanks again for the added information.
You should try finding SFW's 990s online. Always an interesting study.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SDC