Feedback on backcountry elk loadout

Marble

WKR
For archery in warm weather I try to get close to 40 lbs of total pack weight, not including my weapon. For cold weather, I want to be around 45 lbs, maybe a few more depending on how long I'll be gone and the weather I expect.

I can carry quite a bit more and doing so all day isn't an issue. But considering packing out meat, I want room for volume and weight in my pack.

And 7 miles each way with a 100 lbs pack, would be in experience that might make me want to reconsider my hobby.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
A lot of great advice in here. I’d recommend rechargeable items vs replaceable battery options. The more hunts I invest my time on, the less electronic accessories I bring with. This last year I switched to black diamond 500 storm r headlamps. Charged them last week of august, did 2 trips out west one 13 day and one 7 day. Plus my local whitetail seasons. A power outage where the wife could still do night time reading. And both still have 2 or 3 bars illuminated… seems you are on the right track with a few of these suggestions. I’ll also recommend like the others do test runs on your gear, even if it’s at a local camp ground. You will learn a lot and probably revise your gear list a little. Good luck!

Gapmaster

WKR
Seven miles is a chore. Seven air miles or OnX miles doesn’t =7 actual miles unless your on an established trail. That’s a really long pull with camp/meat. That could compute to a 40 plus mile pack out for a bull elk with 2 guys. Not saying it can’t be done. Just saying that I wouldn’t purposely want to do it.

As far as your list goes, lose the Nalgene and Nalgene holder. Smart water bottles are cheap and light. Don’t carry multiple jackets. If water is prevalent, only carry 1 liter or so at a time. Extra water is heavy.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Seven miles is a chore. Seven air miles or OnX miles doesn’t =7 actual miles unless your on an established trail. That’s a really long pull with camp/meat. That could compute to a 40 plus mile pack out for a bull elk with 2 guys. Not saying it can’t be done. Just saying that I wouldn’t purposely want to do it.
That seven miles better be ALL downhill to the truck. The return trip to camp for another load, with an empty pack, will seem like child's play. I hope you are successful, because I want to hear this story.

HUNTNUT

FNG
I was thinking about this a little more. Do you both have tags? One bull down will be 3 round trips, at least. That is 42 miles unless the kill is between camp and your vehicle. 2 bulls down? That is a lot of miles. You will have earned every ounce of elk if you guys pull that off.

I like the list and many of the suggestions. I do multiple trips in the Utah and Colorado mountains every year. As said, the things that stand out to me - heavy tripod, heavy powerbank, heavy sleeping bag. I like a lighter 15 degree down bag (lighter and more compact) and down puffy pants (which go everywhere with me in the mountains). Smartwater bottles instead of an Nalgene. Lithiums. Ditch the heavy pillow and get a lighter blow up or just use a stuff sack.

And…yeah, 7+ miles, two guys and potentially 2 elk sounds rough.

mlob1one

WKR
Bunch of good tips here already for saving weight so I will just say that I would ADD LeukoTape and Quik Clot to your gear. 7 miles with that weight on uneven terrain you are probably going to have a hotspot or 2 show up on your feet (Leukotape) and your 7 miles will feel like 20.
LeukoTape is considered a necessity IMHO. Otherwise, looking good. Doing a couple dry runs will help you refine your load out and give you confidence.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I’ll just say it. You are making a mistake. Unless you’re just really really into hiking and camping. If you are all about a realistic plan to hunt and kill elk, you need to rethink your strategy. I can’t think of good reason to go 7 miles into the backcountry. If you were hunting Colorado, you can expect people on horseback to have that area covered. In the meantime, you’ll pass up all the elk you need. You might think I’m just being negative. I would highly suggest trying to pack an elk or two less than half of that distance before you bite off more than you can chew. If you stick with that plan, you better take a Garmin Inreach and make a donation to search and rescue. Lol.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Have fun. It sounds like a great adventure. Smart water bottles work well. I use a light weight nalgene that I like better because it doesn't weigh that much more than a smart botte, it has a wider mouth which is easier for me to fill, and is thicker for a little more durability. I do nalgene for backpack hunts and bladder with my day pack or bino harness. For electrolytes, I use salt stick capsules. I don't like adding something to my water and the salt sticks have worked very well for me.

I've had poor luck with filters. That being said, that was years ago and they may be better now. Mine would always silt up and clog. I recommend carrying a replacement filter. I carry micropur tablets. They are ClO2, and don't leave a chlorine or iodine taste. Typically fill water needed the next day the night before and treat. More than ready by morning. I do not treat cooking water.

Carrying 4 liters/per day is a lot. 2.2 lbs/liter adds up quickly.

Plan on cooking in the morning/evening. I saw 3 peaks/day. Maybe you're doubling up at a meal. I would plan on 2 warmed meals a day. Personally, I like oatmeal in the morning w/coffee. That started before there were good freeze dried breakfasts. Figure out bars/snacks during the day. I tend to lose my appetite on backpack hunts. I would drink something warm and caloric before dinner while I waited for my meal to heat such as powered cider or miso soup. I also eat sour candy during the day to up my appetite.

Take care. I look forward to the trip report.

Edit add: Have a cooler in the truck with rehydrating drinks. If you're packing out heavy, it's nice to know something cold and refreshing is waiting for you. It also helps to think about keeping base camp essentials in the truck in case you need it ie when packing out late, heavy, and cold and then needing to turn around the next morning for another lap.

Last edited:

JK47

FNG
I did the same thing when I first got into hunting the high country. Every year, if I didn’t use something the prior year, it was removed from my pack. My pack for a 7 day hunt is now 37 pounds. That’s with food and 2 liters of water. I rarely hunt late season, so clothes don’t weigh so much.

Personally, I can only do 1 freeze dried meal a day. So I supplement with high protein snacks and liquid IV’s for electrolytes (I call em my HIV’s). And I gotta have my ramen. More of a comfort food since it really ain’t good for anything nutritionally. I will also pack a few MRE’s. I may be shitting like a crippled goose, and lose 10 pounds over a week, but I ain’t hungry.

Here’s the point I’m trying to make….like others have said, do a couple weekend trips to dial your gear. Learn what food combos keep your energy levels up.

Good luck!

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
We’re going about seven miles, there is some elevation gain in the first leg (about 1,000-1,500ft) but it levels off quite a bit after that
This means you will be hiking 35 miles on your pack out if you get one elk, with approximately 20 miles of that with 60-100# on your back. That is pretty extreme.

You guys have tons of good advice. One thing I know is we pack our fears we all do it. When I started hunting I had so much stuff. I carried an extra magazine of ammo and all sorts of stuff just in case. The longer you hunt and the more comfortable you get in the woods the less you tend to carry. There are of course essentials you should always have but the stuff we pack "Just in case" becomes less with comfort in the area you hunt.

One thing that helped me a ton was watching the TV series alone. It is the closest thing to a survivalist scenario and it taught me so much about things I could do in situations I could find myself in. I hit the woods and used some of those things to gain confidence in myself and it has made a huge difference knowing I can take care of myself in a bad situation and others.

OP
GooseLR

GooseLR

FNG
Admittedly, I am new to elk hunting and my buddy has killed a bull in this area on the majority of his hunts so I figure it’s a good place to start. It is 100% not falling on deaf ears that if we are successful, it will be a hellacious pack out. But my friend has done it a few times, we’re both young, strong and maybe a bit dumb still. I appreciate all the advice and honest thoughts, I am taking it all into consideration!

HUNTNUT

FNG
Admittedly, I am new to elk hunting and my buddy has killed a bull in this area on the majority of his hunts so I figure it’s a good place to start. It is 100% not falling on deaf ears that if we are successful, it will be a hellacious pack out. But my friend has done it a few times, we’re both young, strong and maybe a bit dumb still. I appreciate all the advice and honest thoughts, I am taking it all into consideration!
I like your attitude. Previous experience doing this is a giant plus. Good luck to you both.

OP
GooseLR

GooseLR

FNG
Have fun. It sounds like a great adventure. Smart water bottles work well. I use a light weight nalgene that I like better because it doesn't weigh that much more than a smart botte, it has a wider mouth which is easier for me to fill, and is thicker for a little more durability. I do nalgene for backpack hunts and bladder with my day pack or bino harness. For electrolytes, I use salt stick capsules. I don't like adding something to my water and the salt sticks have worked very well for me.

I've had poor luck with filters. That being said, that was years ago and they may be better now. Mine would always silt up and clog. I recommend carrying a replacement filter. I carry micropur tablets. They are ClO2, and don't leave a chlorine or iodine taste. Typically fill water needed the next day the night before and treat. More than ready by morning. I do not treat cooking water.

Carrying 4 liters/per day is a lot. 2.2 lbs/liter adds up quickly.

Plan on cooking in the morning/evening. I saw 3 peaks/day. Maybe you're doubling up at a meal. I would plan on 2 warmed meals a day. Personally, I like oatmeal in the morning w/coffee. That started before there were good freeze dried breakfasts. Figure out bars/snacks during the day. I tend to lose my appetite on backpack hunts. I would drink something warm and caloric before dinner while I waited for my meal to heat such as powered cider or miso soup. I also eat sour candy during the day to up my appetite.

Take care. I look forward to the trip report.

Edit add: Have a cooler in the truck with rehydrating drinks. If you're packing out heavy, it's nice to know something cold and refreshing is waiting for you. It also helps to think about keeping base camp essentials in the truck in case you need it ie when packing out late, heavy, and cold and then needing to turn around the next morning for another lap.
I am definitely planning on carrying less water than I originally thought. That has been a consistent theme in these replies.

We will have a cooler staged at the truck full of goodies. Thanks!

OP
GooseLR

GooseLR

FNG
You guys have tons of good advice. One thing I know is we pack our fears we all do it. When I started hunting I had so much stuff. I carried an extra magazine of ammo and all sorts of stuff just in case. The longer you hunt and the more comfortable you get in the woods the less you tend to carry. There are of course essentials you should always have but the stuff we pack "Just in case" becomes less with comfort in the area you hunt.

One thing that helped me a ton was watching the TV series alone. It is the closest thing to a survivalist scenario and it taught me so much about things I could do in situations I could find myself in. I hit the woods and used some of those things to gain confidence in myself and it has made a huge difference knowing I can take care of myself in a bad situation and others.
Man, I thought I did such a good job limiting weight when I first posted 😂 I appreciate it!