Few advice for Newbies from a Newbie

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your hunting partner has the same fitness level as you or go alone. We pulled out of the woods after one day…one day… drove 20 hours one way… this ride home is going to be fun. Don’t let this happen to you. Pick your hunting partners better than I did.

WHI13tan

FNG
Make sure your hunting partner has the same fitness level as you or go alone. We pulled out of the woods after one day…one day… drove 20 hours one way… this ride home is going to be fun. Don’t let this happen to you. Pick your hunting partners better than I did.

Leave them at camp and you go out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
You’re better than me. I’d let them ride to town and leave me there. Come back and get me in a few days! Kinda crappy of your friend to make you leave…
Sorry about the bad luck.

Gerbdog

WKR
Yup, been there, had more then 1 quit after one day, i always make partners drive separate. Happened this year also, but in this case my buddy pushed himself on an injury far more than he should have, i told him he should go home, a permanent injury and his military career isnt worth an elk hunt. Next year. He was > < close to getting a shot on a big cow but didnt get out in front of her quick enough and she caught his wind. The plan almost all came together. Almost dont count.

Last edited:
You should of made him camp by your locked truck whilst you finished your hunt.

Whip

WKR
No way I'd have gone back with him. Only way that could happen would be someone close would need to die back home. Or someone would likely be dying on the trip back.

Maki35

WKR
That's selfish of him to want to leave so soon because he wasn't physically up to the hunt. Why couldn't he wait in the truck/ motel until you were done hunting? Why couldn't he sit/hunt in one spot while you go off hunting?

I have a friend that I hunt with that has limited physical capabilities. He knows it & I know it. So he hunts near the truck and I'll walk off deeper into the woods to hunt. At the end of the day we meet up & all is good.

Last edited:

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
My scouting partner was like that a couple weeks ago, didn't take me serious the past 3 months I told him to get into shape. Let's just say he did a lot of sitting at the truck or camp while I went and looked at what I needed to

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
I think it would be worth $4-500 bucks to put him on a plane. I'd probably pay that out of pocket to keep going.

OP
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
At the end of the day, it’s my fault. I’m responsible for my own situation. I hope other beginners choose wiser than I did. A lot of people are willing to spend the money on gear, but that doesn’t mean they are ready for elk hunting in the Rocky Mountains.