Few questions from a noob

Some gear advice:

1) Spotter depends on your hunting style, but for a first time elk hunter I don't think it's necessary as long as you aren't planning on hunting above treeline. However, I would tell you that even though you only have 10's you should still take your time when glassing and putting them on a tripod can help with that. A spotter really only becomes an essential piece of gear if spotting elk miles away or trying to determine score, which as a first time elk hunter you shouldn't be too worried about (body size is sufficient in a lot of cases once you see a few animals as well).

2) I highly recommend instead of a Jetboil going with the MSR Pocket Rocket + Olicamp XTS Pot. That setup boils water in under 90 seconds even at 11,000ft and is cheaper.

3) Don't spend too much on rain gear; it's CO. You could hit a freak week where it decides to rain a lot, but most likely you will get they typical 70+ deg weather with the occasional 15 minute rain shower.

4) Bring a filter or a steripen, not both. MSR Aquatabs are a good backup to keep in the first aid kit; I always keep them and a wetfire. If you get a Steripen be careful as some models suck. Also, at high elevations you sometimes need to add salt to get them to work as the water doesn't have enough minerals to conduct electricity and trip the sensor on the Steripen.

5) Leukotape is a must. It will save your ass in many different ways, but primarily blisters.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm in the Houston area too (Woodlands). Last year was my 1st hunt like this, we were in San Juan's near lizard head. I don't know how 81 compares as far as ruggedness and elevation to where we were, but here is my advice regardless:

The 5 miles back campsite is absolutely doable - BUT... it is going to be A LOT harder than you think. Everything up there takes 3 x as long as it should. You are at 300ft now and going to ~ 10K. You are going to have to stop to catch your breath after every single rise in terrain. Not just the BIG hills, I mean even the little tiny stuff. Just don't think you are going to cover those 5 miles in 3-4 hours (like I did). It's going to be closer to 5-6 hours if you are on a trail and 8 hours or more if you are off trail. You can do it, but leave the trailhead really early in the am; which means you will have to time your arrival from TX to the trailhead just right. If you have been driving all night, it's going to suck much harder.

Google Earth can be very deceiving if you've never actually visited the area before. That was one of my biggest takeaways from last year's trip. I completely misjudged the scale of the mtn in GE. In fact, I don't think I have ever been More Wrong about anything in my life as I was about that! I had all these plans for areas I was going to cover...

As fitness goes, just do what you can. You'll never be in good enough shape that it won't hurt. This will be a good gauge of where your fitness level really is. And, if you love it, you'll get in better shape for next year.

I wouldn't buy a bear tag unless you don't care about the $300 bucks. It would be nice to have one in your pocket just in case, but I'd skip it. Unless you are your partner are scared of bears, then buy one. Its the best way to guarantee that you won't see any.

Your pack is going to be heavy. You'll be fine. You don't know yet what you need/don't need. I did the 1st couple days hunting out of a truck camp (highly recommend for your first time). My first day in I had so much crap with me that I didn't need it was ridiculous. I bet I culled 15lbs or more before day 2! On Day three I packed up that site and backpacked in with even less gear and a lot more confidence.

Devonian

Lil-Rokslider
The areas I've hunted in 81 don't lend themselves to using a spotter. I think you'll be fine with binos.

gabenzeke

WKR
I asked about 81 maybe a year ago. I got PMs from a guy that lives there and one thing he mentioned was that there are several outfitters in the area and one wasn't really nice to DIY guys in the area. He suggested I contact the guy to try to tell him my plan and avoid his camps, but I didn't want to mess with it, so went to 751 instead.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
LIWolverine
Awesome thanks for all the awesome info guys! I'm gonna leave the spotter and get the bino adapter like y'all said. I'm totally open to changing gear around if it makes sense. I know roughly where the outfitter camps are where I'm going and don't plan on running into anyone but I sure ain't gonna let someone else's attitude ruin my hunt. Got no tolerance for bullies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruskin

WKR
This will be my 5th season in 81. I've tried to see most of the unit and will talk you through it if you want to chat on the phone. Just message me.

Good advice from all here. One thing about water is that in some areas it's all beaver ponds and elk Wallows with lots of floating bugs. I would suggest a filter.

Also, I'm looking for a hunting partner or at least to connect with others that plan to be around in archery so I have some friendly faces on the mountain. I set up base camp just off the highway with my dad, but he can't hike anymore and I tend to wander.

-Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougfir

FNG
Not sure where you live (LIWolverine= Long Island?). The altitude will kick your butt if not used to it. If you have to pack in a lot of equipt for your camp, maybe consider making two trips? Your food won't be coming out with you, but maybe an Elk will need to be packed out? If you kill yourself trying to pack everything in one trip, you might be wasted and unable to hunt or scout for a day or two. If you do live at altitude, you might be able to handle it without too much acclimation. Living in New Orleans, I get up to my hunting area a week early to help get the lungs in shape. Not everyone has that luxury though, with family, work, and economics figuring into it.

I was going to say roughly this. Make sure you have a plan for the scenario where you realize that altitude is kicking your butt and you need to hunt 2 miles in instead of 5; or at a lower altitude. You never know how it's going to affect you and for some people, it really kicks their a$$. Have a great time!!

OP
LIWolverine
Some gear advice:
blisters.

I'll def check out the MSR. I've got a rain jacket so I'll just stick with that. I planned on tabs and forgot to list them. I'm checking out the sawyer squeeze for filter. Leuko was the tape I had listed in my first aide.

I'm in the Houston area too (Woodlands). .

Awesome. I'm in Magnolia. Yeah I have worried about being very deceived by scale. I've got tons of plans but I'm totally fine changing stuff up when I get there. I'm pretty spontaneous so don't get too fixed on one plan and can roll wth necessity. Im trying to figure out the drive so I don't get in that real sucky situation of being exhausted before I even start the hunt.

This will be my 5th season in 81. I've tried to see most of the unit and will talk you through it if you want to chat on the phone. Just message me.

-Bryan

I'll definitely get in touch with you. I have a bunch of questions you probably know the answers to.

I was going to say roughly this. Make sure you have a plan for the scenario where you realize that altitude is kicking your butt and you need to hunt 2 miles in instead of 5; or at a lower altitude. You never know how it's going to affect you and for some people, it really kicks their a$$. Have a great time!!

Thanks! I've got a back up area that I will be walking through to my target area. Shoot if I see elk or sign or am too tired I'll just set right there and go from there. It's maybe 3 miles from the trail head.

I'll def check out the MSR. I've got a rain jacket so I'll just stick with that. I planned on tabs and forgot to list them. I'm checking out the sawyer squeeze for filter. Leuko was the tape I had listed in my first aide.

I run the Sawyer gravity system or a Sawyer Mini with a Geigerrig. If I were to do it again, I'd probably build a gravity rig with a Sawyer Mini with a Platypus Big Zip or Water Tank for dirty water and a Platy Hoser or MSR Dromedary for clean. I would look at water availability on where you plan on going if you need to bring 6 or 10L bags. I use a bug headnet to pre-filter to prevent clogging and I've never had an issue in the field.

OP
LIWolverine
I run the Sawyer gravity system or a Sawyer Mini with a Geigerrig. If I were to do it again, I'd probably build a gravity rig with a Sawyer Mini with a Platypus Big Zip or Water Tank for dirty water and a Platy Hoser or MSR Dromedary for clean. I would look at water availability on where you plan on going if you need to bring 6 or 10L bags. I use a bug headnet to pre-filter to prevent clogging and I've never had an issue in the field.

Looks like plenty of water where I'm going. I'll have to do some more research and watch more videos of different filters and water systems to see what I think will work not just in the high backcountry but also the East Texas swamps I like to hunt.

FlyGuy

WKR
Cool. Magnolia is pretty close by. Hit me up if you are ever looking to do a training hike, etc.

BTW- highly recommend the Sawyer Squeeze. I'm still pretty new to it, but much simpler and faster than a pump. I used a pump last year and it broke on me while solo and put me in a pretty uncomfortable situation. The company replaced it immediately (with an upgrade), but I don't think it will make it into my pack this year. I'm no expert on water filtration devices, but I think that in situations where there is debris present in the water source that can build up and impede flow through the prefilter, the pumps can too easily be over pressured through leverage. Once the seals go it's all over. I don't think I'll ever bring a pump again.

Yeah, if I were in an area with nasty water I would seriously consider the MSR Guardian if I were using it enough, but $350 is steep for a purifier. That's like 17 Sawyer Squeeze's. I have also seen guys cut up a screen of some sort and put it in front of the output tube in the dirty water reservoir in their gravity system. The Sawyer gravity system is awesome if you don't want to build your own and is actually a higher flow.

If you do plan on using this in Texas however you need to consider that you now need to worry about filtering viruses and not just bacteria like in the high country (this is the difference between a filter and a purifier). As such there are a few fiber filters (like the sawyer) that are small enough to filter viruses, but they are far more expensive (like the MSR Guardian). The cheaper solution is to use a charcoal filter, but those are usually only rated to a couple hundred gallons so you will need to change them out pretty often. You can also use a Steripen in combination with a filter (assuming you want to filter out the chunks) in Texas.

Beendare

WKR
I think you are going about this wrong packing 50# of gear into a spot you don't know is any good. Put on a day pack and make 15 mile loops into country to find them first.

I agree with the guys stating a tripod and spotter is a waste. Those are good in the SW open PJ country and assessing trophy quality....heck you are shooting the first legal animal right? [you should!]

Oh, yeah...and 5 days is too short

mlob1one

WKR
Thanks for all the great info guys. I'll be skipping the bear tag. Sounds like if I'm not targeting them I won't get much chance. I'm going for elk so don't want to waste time looking for something that isn't there. I feel like if I leave the spotter at home or the truck I'll regret it. Guess I could leave it for now it being my first trip just to save the weight and bring it next time if I think it would be worth it after getting boots on the ground this year. That will be a huge weight saver. They will be plenty of water from a few sources so I'm not too worried about that part.

Here is my list right now
Pack- kifaru hunter with nomad, lh lid, cargo chair.
Tent (if I don't get a new one before then)- eureka spitfire
Bag-Zpack 20f broad long
Pad-therma rest 78"
Bino- Leupold Mohave 10x42
Range finder-bushnell scout 1000arc
Water-2-3l bladders, filter (haven't bought) steripen, no name water bottle
Food-based off suggestions, 2.5/per day 10-13lb, Starbucks via
Jetboil (haven't decided on model yet)

Bow-Hoyt Carbon Element 32 (haven't weighed with all the accessories and arrows)
Clothing (not including what I'm wearing in)-
APX Prima loft vest
2 pair wool socks
2 pair underwear
Kuiu Merino hoody
Rain gear (haven't bought)
Kill kit-
Esee Izula, Havalon Piranta, small tent rain fly (laying meat on), meat bags (haven't bought). 50' paracord,
Small first aid-ibuprofen, tape,

That's all I can think of right now. Not complete but got most of it.

I'll be doing weight training focusing on weighted lunges, squats, and deads, the bike, stair stepper and bleachers with and without my pack. Again, thanks for all the insight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know you're talking about conditioning and tags but since you posted your gear list...

I would strongly recommend Leukotape for hotspots and potential blisters and a tube of super glue for potential cuts.

You probably have but didn't mention a headlamp as well.

Have a great time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Maybe it's been said, but the issue I see you having is time. If I misunderstood, just ignore my post, but............5 day hunt 5 miles in to a completely new area is going to be tough to really do much hunting. Someone mentioned taking it easy for a day or two, you absolutely have no time for taking it easy or you'll be on your way back out after your break. You are really looking at a 3 day hunt. By all means get in the best shape that you can and psych yourself into "beast mode" and all that jazz. However, it sounds like you've not hunted the high country/backcountry before and you need to rethink your hunt schedule.

Reality Check.....

Day 1 .....Assume at least half a day to pack in, then you'll spend some time unloading gear and setting up a camp. You'll likely be beat regardless of your conditioning because of the altitude. You may get a hunt in that evening or possibly just glassing if it's open enough.

Day 2.....Hunt

Day 3.....Hunt

Day 4.....Hunt...... If you can't extend your hunt more than 5 days, you are done hunting. It will easily take a full day for two of you to break down and pack a bull (a cow for that matter) 5 miles out of the woods. That's just the 5 miles from trailhead to camp. If your elk is 2 miles from camp in a hole not meant for human visitation, you may need longer. This doesn't even include packing camp out.

Day 5....If you can't extend your hunt, you are only spending this day packing camp out of the backcountry and hoping by some miracle that you stumble into a bull a mile from camp near the trail.

With that said, I have been and still am willing to try some pretty crazy mad dash hunts. But.........elk and the backcountry require time. I can get away with a 3 day hunt because I'm familiar with areas that I hunt, I'm usually only going 2 or 3 miles for camp, I can leave camp and get it next week, and know that I can call into work and say......"I'm packing elk". All I'll get is a "do you need any help?" in response.

I don't necessarily want to discourage you, but instead encourage you to work out more days for the hunt.

Last edited:

I use a 1 gallon bag paint strainer as a pre-filter for my Sawyer. I just tuck it in the dirty bag and use one of my wife's hair bands to secure it. Works slick.

As far as timeline. Sell a kidney or blackmail someone. Buy yourself some more time. You won't regret it. You won't want to leave. And consider what the situation could be if you end up with two elk on the ground on your last day.

OP
LIWolverine
Thanks for all the info guys. We can squeeze out another day or two. At first we were constrained by my cuz having to fly in and out and we didn't have flexibility. Now he is riding back with me and just needs to be in Galveston the following weekend. Honestly even if I only had 3 days I would still do it. I just want to be out there. No matter where it is or what I'm after. Any days is better than no days. I'm just gonna start crushing it in the gym and plan on making my target camp. If we don't make it that's fine. We will see what we can find and move on if nothing is doing. I got to kill the bull of my dreams last year so I'm not holding out for a trophy. I will shoot the first legal bull I see and I'll be over ecstatic about it. To do it DIY, back pack in on public land would be my next elk dream come true. Don't care if it doesn't happen this year. I'm sure I'll be back next year. Ill learn a ton this year and just apply it for next year. I'll be sure to take it slow and work on endurance before intensity going up most every day or every other workout.

If we end up in a bad spot or with too much of a time constraint we already have a contact to help us horse pack out if we need to. I'll keep updating my gear and plans and post it here to keep getting some knowledge and some insight from y'all.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You should get the horse to pack your shit out, time constraint or not. Then give him an apple or carrot for being a bad ass.