Field/Pocket Guide for boning out game in the field

AZmark

WKR
Does anyone know of a good pocket guide that covers boning out game in the field. Field dressing is cake for me but boning out has so many ins and outs and seems everyone has their own way.

Welcome. Plenty of YouTube’s on this but they aren’t that helpful in the field. If you can’t find someone to show you how then don’t be afraid of trying it yourself. I am a self taught, adult onset hunter. After 2-3 animals I think I had it down fairly well and it isn’t like I ruined those first few, it is just that I got better and faster and the final product was nicer.

You May also look into a butchering class - my friend took one where he got to butcher a pig and take half of it home. If you count the price of the meat, he basically got the class for free. Another, guy I know, “volunteered” with a local deer processor for an afternoon and the butcher showed him how it was done. He processed 5-6 deer in one day and learned what he wanted to know. Also, nothing wrong with buying a bone in roast and experimenting at home.

To your question, Not pocket but I am a fan do the Steve rinella book. I guess you could probably photo copy or take pictures of the pages for reference in the field.

There are also plenty of how tos if you wanted to print one off.

Final thought. I love replaceable blade knifes for skinning and they do great for breaking down animals to quarters. However, a six inch victorinox boning knife is hands down my favorite for butchering. I splurged on a bunch of butchering gear two seasons ago and find I use those 6 inch boning knives for almost all my butchering. If I was doing it again I would have bought 2-3 of those and called it good.

Last edited:
Study up on the YouTube videos. The toughest part for me is the first few cuts. Once you have things opened up, it's fairly easy to figure out on the fly.

After just a couple of tries (gutless and bones out at kill site), it's under rated how hard it is to stay off the guts/stomach, so just be aware of that. Especially removing the hind quarter where the knife is flinging around in the joint.

It's also easy to end up with hair everywhere - I wasn't ready for that.

Tenderloins can be intimidating with gutless, but I do them last just to be safe with the rest of the meat.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
This isn’t rocket surgery. Just skin out one quarter at a time and trim off chunks of meat (muscle groups) until there’s nothing left but bone. Do the rear quarter, then front quarter on one side, pull out the back strap, flip the critter and repeat on the other side. Then it’s time to make small, careful cuts behind the short ribs, reach in, grab the tenderloin, carefully cut out, then repeat on the other side. All that’s left then is cutting all the hide, then flesh around the base of the skull- grab the antlers or horns and twist until the skull breaks free. Get after it!

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I carry a square of 6 mil plastic about 5x5'. You can lay a quarter on there to bone out out. Boning out is very easy. Stick close to the bone and work the meat off. Do it a few times and before you know it you're getting good. Get a hind off in one piece and you're real good...

Wrench

WKR
Really pretty self explanatory once you get started. Find the natural seam in the meat and follow it to bone.....free thebone and you're done.

Hinds are easier to get to the femur through the inside of the leg, fronts for me are burger so I go in however is easy in the situation, backstraps and t loins are also very obvious.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with the comments above. Dont be afraid to just get in there and try it! I self taught myself both in boning out in the field as well as butchering once I'm home. The only thing I wish isni would gave learned a long time ago! Also like HiMthHntr said I carry a 5x5 piece of tyvek house wrap to lay meat on before bagging.