Merino baselayer hoodie, 1/4-1/2 zip, no pocket?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What options are out there for a lightweight merino hoodie with a 1/4-1/2 zip but no chest pocket (what’s the point of that pocket anyway?)? I am looking for an alternative to the BO one due to their continued business with a multiple conviction poacher. Seems like everyone else has that needless (imho) pocket? Anyone know of an alternative?

Voyageur

WKR
Check out the Ibex Indie hoodie.
Also, Duckworth has some nice hoodies, but I don't think they have the zip option.
Hope this helps.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the kuiu 120 lighter than you want?

Edit: Doesn't zip. Gotcha.
Yeah I do really enjoy a 1/4 or 1/2 zip on this layer, otherwise that one would be just fine.
Also, Duckworth has some nice hoodies, but I don't think they have the zip option.
Hope this helps.
Will do.

sndmn11

WKR

blkqi

WKR
Came to add Ibex Indie, but see that it has already been mentioned.

My only real gripe with it is that the torso is a bit shorter than I prefer for a base layer top.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Came to add Ibex Indie, but see that it has already been mentioned.

My only real gripe with it is that the torso is a bit shorter than I prefer for a base layer top.
What's your torso length? I'm mostly legs. :p I presume you're saying it doesn't stay tucked into a pair of pants? IMHO that's critical with my baselayer when wearing a pack.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like a 1/4 to 1/2 zip preferably but noted as an option.

blkqi

WKR
What's your torso length? I'm mostly legs. :p I presume you're saying it doesn't stay tucked into a pair of pants? IMHO that's critical with my baselayer when wearing a pack.
Yeah, doesn't have a good tucking length like the SG base layers, for example.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am looking for an alternative to the BO one due to their continued business with a multiple conviction poacher.

The Black Ovis 1/4 zip hoody is very nice and low cost.
I have liked that layer in the past but I don't want to purchase from them anymore as they continue to carry products from a multiple conviction poacher. Due to that I can no longer support them unless the situation changes. For now black ovis is off the table.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hope this helps.
They got the vapor snorkel: https://www.duckworthco.com/collect...ens-vapor-snorkel-hood?variant=47501412303168

Only question I have for anyone with experience is how is the odor control being their blend is 38% Montana Merino Wool, 50% American Polyester, 12% Modal

I'll get stinky eventually in anything, I'm more concerned about how fast esp. on repeated wear. Some of my synthetic workout shirts don't take much sweating in them to stink up quickly after a while.

Bump79

WKR
I have liked that layer in the past but I don't want to purchase from them anymore as they continue to carry products from a multiple conviction poacher. Due to that I can no longer support them unless the situation changes. For now black ovis is off the table.
Just out of curiosity, who are you talking about?

Here's another option

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for a couple more options, do you have any experience with either of these? I kinda wonder about that horizontal seam on the chest of the born primative one, probably so thin it wouldn't matter but I think I'd favor some of the options that had no seams on the chest/stomach.

Muley Freak has been convicted (not just charged) of poaching twice now, any veil of claiming the first one was a fluke/mistake gets pulled away when his second conviction is the same nature (shows a pattern). Some other store fronts have purged themselves of that brand so as not to support someone like that. BO has been questioned about MF products continuing to be sold in their store, they've never responded to anyone that has asked / said they were done buying from BO in the meantime, multiple people have. I've enjoyed my prior purchases from black ovis but you gotta draw the line somewhere imho, I don't want to support anyone that directly supports a poacher so I'm unfortunately done being a patron of black ovis until that changes. I realized in terms of degrees of separation we all eventually support someone that supports someone that supports a poacher, etc. I've drawn my line at what I feel is reasonable, a store carrying a known repeat poachers merchandise isn't a store I want to shop at anymore.

twall13

WKR
Minus33 makes a lightweight one with 1/4 zip that I like, but it does have a chest pocket. They make really soft merino products.

I also have an old Ibex hoodie that's been good, I don't know if it's the same model as what they are selling now as I think they went through a rebrand several years back and I bought it before that time. Mines pretty tattered at this point but it's been a good piece. Not as soft as the Minus33 stuff but not itchy either.

I also really like the old style Voormi river run hoodies but they do not have a zipper. Super light merino blend fabric that I like as a base layer in hot weather. They've since started outsourcing and changed the design a bit but I'll probably get another for real hot weather sun protection when mine wears out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
What is that pocket even for? IE does anyone use it?
I think I've used a chest pocket maybe twice on a mid layer, but never on a base layer. I wouldn't miss it a bit if they didn't exist. At least for me, I don't mind it being there, I just don't use it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk