Fierce firearms carbon fury/rival

I’ve broken one ejector claw, on a stuck case that hit pressure way to early. Nut shell my throat is short.

195’s @ 2950 .47 moa three shot group. It will walk a bunch if shoot more then three shot string. H-retumbo . 3.85OAL -.004 lands
Twisted Rival

Copy that. I've had 5 rounds now get stuck after firing and have broken my extractor claw once now. Only difference is all the rounds I have been shooting are nowhere near pressure. Been shooting light loads so far only have 40 rounds through it. Something seems off with my bolt but I have no idea.
I greased the the lugs and every thing. I was perplexed at first. I had two loads where on did it and other didn’t but one that got stuck was more accurate.

I got to measuring OAL and The longer would get pressure, and stick. Went back to the table and seated sticky ammo a touch deeper and issue went away. I was using two well know custom loaders, because it was only brass I could find. Then I found 195’s and just did load work up with it, I just have to be careful with seating depth being to long.

I overnighted bolt to fierce and they had it back to me in a week. I wish I would of tried to talk them in to sending my a spare claw.

Im happy with gun, price and weight are hard to be.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
I have two Carbon rivals. A 300 PRC and a 22 Creemoor. They both will shoot 1/2 MOA. They have been great rifles. The 70 degree throw is what sold me. REM 700 footprint makes everything else easy as well. They balance well and are nice and light hunting rifles. I handload for mine but factory ammo for the PRC shot just fine. I’m not huge on the bix and andy triggers and swapped mike to triggertechs buts that is just a preference.

195’s @ 2950 .47 moa three shot group. It will walk a bunch if shoot more then three shot string. H-retumbo . 3.85OAL -.004 lands
Twisted Rival
I am also using the 195's and H-retumbo, except I'm loading mine at 3.667 COAL which winds up being around 0.020 off my lands. I've had multiple rounds get ruined by the extractor claw from shearing off part of the brass as well as scraping brass off the end of the casing. I'm baffled on what is going on and have come to the conclusion that something is not right with the bolt. Can't be pressure because it has done the same thing no matter what load I use.

Attachments

• 20220501_213952.jpg
    20220501_213952.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220501_213905.jpg
    20220501_213905.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220501_214006.jpg
    20220501_214006.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 28
Have you tried any brass besides hornady?

That pic is beyond my skill set. I’d send pic to Fierce CS and see what they say

Have you tried any brass besides hornady?

That pic is beyond my skill set. I’d send pic to Fierce CS and see what they say
I haven't yet, 28 nosler brass is hard to come by. My Dad uses nosler brass in his 28 and has a few extra boxes I thought a out trying. But agreed, it is above my skill set as well. I talked to Fierce and am sending the rifle back along with the brass so they can take a look.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to hear about some others experiences with a busted extractor. I took my Carbon Fury to the range a few times over the past month to practice for a bear hunt. I started noticing an issue once rounds started failing to eject completely, although the bolt would still pull them back where they would get stuck in the action. Then eventually the extractor wouldn't even remove them at all when pulling the bolt to the rear. When this happened I took a closer look at the bolt (as at first I thought it was an issue with something around the action) and I notice the edge of the extractor had broken completely off. I actually found the small piece of it that had broke off in throat area after feeling around in the action. I have probably about 150-200 rounds through this rifle, all factory no handloads. I called Fierce this morning and left a VM for their service folks. Not encouraging that one of you guys mentioned you had a friend who has this same rifle and the issue is re-occurring.

Side note; it's a good idea to have a backup rifle ready to go! This happened right before we headed out for a bear hunt. I stayed up late that night mounting a scope to my Tikka .308, then sighted it in on the beach close to our hunting area the first day of our hunt. The next day I was with my wife when she took a nice black bear, with the Tikka backing her up. It was a bit of a PITA to have your main rifle go down right before a hunt like that though.

Interesting to hear about some others experiences with a busted extractor. I took my Carbon Fury to the range a few times over the past month to practice for a bear hunt. I started noticing an issue once rounds started failing to eject completely, although the bolt would still pull them back where they would get stuck in the action. Then eventually the extractor wouldn't even remove them at all when pulling the bolt to the rear. When this happened I took a closer look at the bolt (as at first I thought it was an issue with something around the action) and I notice the edge of the extractor had broken completely off. I actually found the small piece of it that had broke off in throat area after feeling around in the action. I have probably about 150-200 rounds through this rifle, all factory no handloads. I called Fierce this morning and left a VM for their service folks. Not encouraging that one of you guys mentioned you had a friend who has this same rifle and the issue is re-occurring.

Side note; it's a good idea to have a backup rifle ready to go! This happened right before we headed out for a bear hunt. I stayed up late that night mounting a scope to my Tikka .308, then sighted it in on the beach close to our hunting area the first day of our hunt. The next day I was with my wife when she took a nice black bear, with the Tikka backing her up. It was a bit of a PITA to have your main rifle go down right before a hunt like that though.
Yup, and now that I've joined these forums I am hearing more and more about these same issues. You would think that after having the same issue over and over again on the same rifles, you ld start looking into a flaw in the design and redesigning it. I'm still sold its a flaw in the way they designed the bolt extractor. But I'm no expert either.

Also a side note good luck having him call u back if you left a message. Takes a solid 2 or 3 days lol. I always call everyday and I've maybe caught him on the phone like twice.

cski100

Lil-Rokslider
^^^
I agree…It would be great if the Fury or Edge had the option to choose either of the stocks Fierce uses.
They do. Call them. You can get a fury or edge with the rival style stock. It’s called the Long Range.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
They do. Call them. You can get a fury or edge with the rival style stock. It’s called the Long Range.
If I were smarter I would have thought to ask as I ordered a 7mm-08, which according to there website, isn't a chambering offered in the Fury.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Considering getting a Fierce Carbon Rival or Twisted Rival. Anyone know the differences between the Fierce Carbon Fury, Carbon Rival, and the Carbon Edge? The Fierce website does not do a good job at explaining them lol

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The Fury and Edge use a Sako clone action whereas the Rival is a Remington clone action.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
The Fury and Edge use a Sako clone action whereas the Rival is a Remington clone action.
Easy enough, really any benefit of one over the other? The Sako actions seems to be a bit more expensive

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if there is a benefit of one action over the other in functionality....though I believe the Sako actions tend to be a bit smoother.
I went with the basic Fury over the Edge as the only difference between the two (per conversation with Fierce) was the Edge has a fluted barrel and includes the MOA validation target which wasn't worth the extra money to me. If going with the Carbon barrel the only difference between the Edge and Fury may very well be the validation target.
Apparently (one forum member stated) you can request the Rival stock for the Edge or Fury.

Last edited:
I purchased a Carbon Rival in Nov 2022. Shot it enough to get comfortable and get her dialed in. 6.5 PRC. Over the course of a box of ammo I had numerous rounds that were very hard to remove. Lifted the bolt and had to pound slightly to the rear to get them to eject. I greased the bolt lugs and called Fierce. They said it was likely due to needing "worked in".

Today I pulled it out of the safe to do some chrono testing with various factory loads. Cold bore shot was a bullseye, but when I went to eject the bolt would not come to the rear. A little bit of light hammering with the palm of my hand got it lose, but now the round is stuck in the chamber. I'll be calling Fierce tomorrow. I love the rifle and how it shoots, but I paid $2500 and don't expect this from a gun that cost that much. I have had multiple CA rifles that shoot sub 1/2" moa with factory ammo and never had a problem and they were all $800-1000 less.
I completely agree with you. We are not the only ones that are having this issue. The more I have looked into this problem with the carbon rival I have found LOADS of people having the same exact problems. I'm convinced it is a bolt design issue but I am also no gunsmith. I finally got Fierce to replace my bolt and so far have had zero issues with hand loads using brand new adg brass. I guess we'll see how long that lasts, I'm optimistic. But I agree for a rifle we paid $2500 for this should not be a problem.

axeforce6

WKR
It’s not a bolt design. It’s a chamber design of the 6.5 and 300 PRC. The fix is a reamer that’s just a tad bigger at the web than the standard PRC reamer.

It’s not a bolt design. It’s a chamber design of the 6.5 and 300 PRC. The fix is a reamer that’s just a tad bigger at the web than the standard PRC
It's not just 6.5 and 300 prc. I have a 28 nosler and I know a couple others have had issues with other calibers as well. So it's just an overall design flaw they have going on somewhere.

I have two Carbon rivals and have zero issues with them.
Seems like it's luck of the draw ifnu get a good rifle or not, same I've heard about Christensen. From my experience I will not purchase another rifle from fierce nor have I recommended them to anyone.