Finally set up my home reloading station, have some questions.

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Finally set up my first home reloading station. Learned the basics from a friend (who’s since moved away) and I have been collecting parts over the years. Set up to reload for my 300 wsm Savage Ultralight. It shoots 200 grain factory ELD-X sub moa so I bought 100 of those. (I know I should just shoot factory then and I do have enough factory to last a while, but I like tinkering and I thought it would be a fun project with my son) Have h4350 and 4831sc. Just a couple questions. When I’m FL resizing do you guys lube the interior of the case neck to avoid getting it stuck in the die? Also when you FL size do you always only bum the shoulders 2 thousands back? I know I’m have a bunch more questions but that’s in advance.

Attachments

• 543458DA-7BEF-48D3-B5C6-D9C334CE14D4.jpeg
    543458DA-7BEF-48D3-B5C6-D9C334CE14D4.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 126

Bluefish

WKR
Yes on shoulder bump if I happen to have a bump gauge. If not, then just tighten to hit shell holder and run. Do a plunk test just to be sure it will chamber.
for inside the neck, I simply touch the case mouth to the lube pad. That’s usually enough even if changing caliber. Make sure and clean well after sizing.

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
I use hornady 1shot for resizing, put the cases in a cheap loading block then spray them being sure to get the necks then fl size to bump 2-3k. Then toss them in the tumbler for a few hours to remove the lube.

SDHNTR

WKR
I use Redding dry graphite lube in the necks. Or Hornady One Shot. Either way, I prefer something dry so that powder doesn’t stick when filling cases.

Yes, .002 bump back on shoulders and FL size.

Taudisio

WKR
When I’m FL resizing do you guys lube the interior of the case neck to avoid getting it stuck in the die? Also when you FL size do you always only bum the shoulders 2 thousands back? I know I’m have a bunch more questions but that’s in advance.
I see you have unique lube, I’ve never used it. I use sizing wax and stick the neck about 1/8” in the wax and twist. I check to make sure no globs get on the inside while I spread the wax (on the outside of the neck) all over the neck, shoulder, and down the body with my fingers. If I can see wax, there is too much, I just want the case to look “greasy.” I clean the brass after resizing, either one at a time with a drill/steel wool/rag and then swab out the inside with a q-tip, or I tumble them. I would probably try the same Case lubing technique with unique if I were going to use it, but I would have to feel the consistency of it to be comfortable recommending my method.

The shoulder bump consistency, time after time, is generally more important than the exact amount. Consistency=accurancy. 2 thou is standard and should be your goal, you won’t hurt much doing a little more, except potential brass life. Doing less can cause loading issues. 2 thousandths ensures the case will fit in your chamber, and you won’t work your brass too much. I have a set of Redding dies that when I set them up how the book says, gives me 2 thou bump. I have ran a RCBS 300wsm set that usually did 4 or 5thou bump (I can’t remember the exact number) when setup by the book instructions. You have to find out where to setup your specific die for your desired bump.

When the cases are on the lubrication pad, I just make sure to spray a little lube in the neck.

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much to everybody for so the great info. Seems so apparent but I didn’t even think about the powder getting stuck in the neck due to the lube. I will pick up some graphite powder.

I do like 3 different operations when it comes to sizing:
1) I decap with a Frankfort Arsenal decapper
2) lube w/ imperial sizing wax then full length size the brass (without the decapping/neck sizing insert installed), then tumble in walnut media to get the sizing wax off
3) then use the Redding neck lube (Graphite powder) and an expander mandrel to set the neck tension

Should note that I'll seat the bullet without cleaning off the dry neck lube

SDHNTR

WKR
I do like 3 different operations when it comes to sizing:
1) I decap with a Frankfort Arsenal decapper
2) lube w/ imperial sizing wax then full length size the brass (without the decapping/neck sizing insert installed), then tumble in walnut media to get the sizing wax off
3) then use the Redding neck lube (Graphite powder) and an expander mandrel to set the neck tension

Should note that I'll seat the bullet without cleaning off the dry neck lube
Yep. I’ve had issues with cold weld before. I even dip the base of my bullets in the dry lube prior to seating.

TaperPin

WKR
Finally set up my first home reloading station. Learned the basics from a friend (who’s since moved away) and I have been collecting parts over the years. Set up to reload for my 300 wsm Savage Ultralight. It shoots 200 grain factory ELD-X sub moa so I bought 100 of those. (I know I should just shoot factory then and I do have enough factory to last a while, but I like tinkering and I thought it would be a fun project with my son) Have h4350 and 4831sc. Just a couple questions. When I’m FL resizing do you guys lube the interior of the case neck to avoid getting it stuck in the die? Also when you FL size do you always only bum the shoulders 2 thousands back? I know I’m have a bunch more questions but that’s in advance.
There’s no real need to measure shoulder set back - the idea is to have cases that chamber easily - simply set your die a little at a time until the case chambers with little resistance - it makes no difference if that is .001” or .004” bump.

There’s no real need to measure shoulder set back - the idea is to have cases that chamber easily - simply set your die a little at a time until the case chambers with little resistance - it makes no difference if that is .001” or .004” bump.

Agree. I don’t bump shoulders until I feel resistance when closing the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use hornady 1shot for resizing, put the cases in a cheap loading block then spray them being sure to get the necks then fl size to bump 2-3k. Then toss them in the tumbler for a few hours to remove the lube.

This is what I do too. Spraying the whole case down at an angle, the necks get plenty of lube in them.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I do too. Spraying the whole case down at an angle, the necks get plenty of lube in them.

I use One Shot as well and have never tumbled them after sizing. In fact, I’m really surprised at how many responses include cleaning after sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use One Shot as well and have never tumbled them after sizing. In fact, I’m really surprised at how many responses include cleaning after sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't get one shot off the cases it will build up in your chamber and cause pressure signs.