Where did I screw up?

joushz

FNG
Classified Approved
Not sure if its a me issue or a brass issue but bought some loaded rounds for my 7 saum project. They originally would not chamber and being new to hand loaded cartridges it took me some time to figure out that they needed to be resized. So I pulled the bullets emptied the powder and deprimed the cases. I removed the firing pin and ejector from the bolt then incrementally sized the brass til the bolt closed with little effort. After reloading some rounds up went to the range to try them out and had the brass get stuck in the chamber after firing (all it took was a tap from a cleaing rod to get case out). I tried resizing said brass afterwards and felt the case get tight in the FL die around the case head which then caused the case to become stuck in the die. I also tried taking 2 gr of powder out and same thing happened

Nosler 7 Saum case
56 gr h4350
168 berger vld
2.97 COAL measured around .08 jump

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Do you have any fired rounds from this chamber that you can measure and compare against? When you’re resizing, what lube are you using and how are you cleaning your cases?

Tx_300wsm

FNG
It sounds like you have multiple issues.

When you couldn’t chamber the rounds the first time they were probably undersized for your chamber.

When the brass was stuck in your chamber my guess is it is either an extractor or chamber issue and not related to the brass. The case stuck in your die because you didn’t use enough lube. I’m not following what you mean when you removed powder and the same thing happened.

I like using case gages for load development, you might want to look into that.

I'd wonder if this brass was shot in a different rifle and fire formed to an out of tolerance condition? Case gage would tell you if these loaded rounds are within tolerance.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
You bought someone else’s reloads? Is that correct?

Pretty sure OP bought these.
Post in thread 'A bunch of 7 SAUM stuff Including Ammo'

BBob

WKR
Previously fired brass from another gun is always going to be a crap shoot. If fired brass is too big for your chamber or if you let it get too big it’s almost always too late to save it by attempting to squeeze it back down to fit. Throw it away and start with new would be my advice.

Yeah, fired in someone elses chamber seems like the problem. If your stuck case issue is a lack of case lube you still might be able to make it work in your gun but need to size it all down some more. I would measure cases 0.200" above the case head before and after sizing to know if youre sizing the brass down near the base or not If you're not sizing down near the base, your sizing die might not get the brass down to where it needs to be to function reliably.

OP
joushz

joushz

FNG
Classified Approved
Do you have any fired rounds from this chamber that you can measure and compare against? When you’re resizing, what lube are you using and how are you cleaning your cases?
Yes. Previously fired brass was measuring 1.595 and resized is .002 to .003 bump, did find one that was .005. I used hornady one shot and wet tumble with ss pins (used Unknown Munitions method).

OP
joushz

joushz

FNG
Classified Approved
It sounds like you have multiple issues.

When you couldn’t chamber the rounds the first time they were probably undersized for your chamber.
Thats what I eventually figured out.
When the brass was stuck in your chamber my guess is it is either an extractor or chamber issue and not related to the brass. The case stuck in your die because you didn’t use enough lube. I’m not following what you mean when you removed powder and the same thing happened.
Didnt have any issue with RP brass or Bertram brass after firing and during resizing. I used the same procedure for waxing on three different cases and the nosler was only tight at the base. I went from 56gr to 54gr

OP
joushz

joushz

FNG
Classified Approved
I like using case gages for load development, you might want to look into that.

I'd wonder if this brass was shot in a different rifle and fire formed to an out of tolerance condition? Case gage would tell you if these loaded rounds are within tolerance.
I will look into one of them then.
Pretty sure OP bought these.
Post in thread 'A bunch of 7 SAUM stuff Including Ammo'
Yes.

OP
joushz

joushz

FNG
Classified Approved
Yeah, fired in someone elses chamber seems like the problem. If your stuck case issue is a lack of case lube you still might be able to make it work in your gun but need to size it all down some more. I would measure cases 0.200" above the case head before and after sizing to know if youre sizing the brass down near the base or not If you're not sizing down near the base, your sizing die might not get the brass down to where it needs to be to function reliably.
Previously fired brass from another gun is always going to be a crap shoot. If fired brass is too big for your chamber or if you let it get too big it’s almost always too late to save it by attempting to squeeze it back down to fit. Throw it away and start with new would be my advice.
Tinkered around with them some more. Found I wasnt using enough lube but I have enough brass now I can put these off to the side.

gixxerbob

FNG
for the failure to eject i would either expect to see an ejector marks from excessive pressure or the signs of a burr in the chamber that prevented the case from extracting. if you FL sized the brass proprerly without the ejector and pin in the bolt i cant see what else would do it.