Finally set up my home reloading station, have some questions.

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Ok another question. I checked the headspace on Hornady once fired brass with a headspace comparator gauge. It measures 1.745. I full length resized with a Lee press and the measurement was 1.747. What am I doing wrong?

TaperPin

WKR
Ok another question. I checked the headspace on Hornady once fired brass with a headspace comparator gauge. It measures 1.745. I full length resized with a Lee press and the measurement was 1.747. What am I doing wrong?
Resizing the walls of a case can squish the shoulder forward a bit. Different sizing dies will vary slightly in dimensions, both diameter and shoulder angle. You’ve discovered the main reason I don’t use a comparator. There’s nothing wrong with it, but the results require a bit of interpretation for each rifle/die. Regardless of the gauge reading, the case still needs to chamber correctly.

SDHNTR

WKR
Nothing. That’s normal. You just need to keep turning the die down until it measures about 1.743 with your same set up.

Reactions: HGL

sndmn11

WKR

Before changing that dimension, see if they will chamber.

I also use the tub of unique for lube. I lightly rub some on my left hand and roll the case around in my fingers as I'm putting it in the press. It doesn't take much at all. When I feel drag on extraction, I run a finger across the case mouth on the next case and that lubes the ball up for the next 5-20 cases.

OP
E

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
So I checked and it won’t chamber so I will have to bump the shoulders back some. Thanks again to everyone. Hopefully I can get to do some reloading this weekend and come back with some more questions I’m sure.

TaperPin

WKR
So I checked and it won’t chamber so I will have to bump the shoulders back some. Thanks again to everyone. Hopefully I can get to do some reloading this weekend and come back with some more questions I’m sure.
It can be tedious to set dies a few thou this way or that way. If the lock ring is knurled, there is a chance the number of grooves in the knurling is not random, but intended to aid in setting the die. This knurled ring is Lyman, but others might be similar. 7/8-14 threads of a seating die give .071” of adjustment per revolution - this lock ring has 70 groves in the knurling, so each one is very close to .001”. Pretty cool - took me 30 years to notice it. Lol

B5BC526F-95D7-49A0-91E3-3818B3B959D6.jpeg

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
@TaperPin that is a nugget of pure gold, thanks for posting the above on adjustment per revolution, I didn’t know that (among many other things🤣)
Ooops I goofed a little. 1” Divided by 14 is .071” per revolution. Each groove in the knurling is more like .001” rather than .002”. Lol

I changed it in my previous post. :)