Finding tight-lipped elk

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to Montana September ~15th, with my first elk hunt getting closer, I'm still trying to pack every tidbit of knowledge in that i can. As I'm sure everybody does, I'm hoping for vocal elk to help locate them easier, but what are some tactics you guys use to locate them when they just wont talk? Particularly in predominantly timbered areas. I've got a few spots picked for myself, and a handful of pins sent from a buddy in Montana as well, and most places are easily 85%+ timber. Obviously that doesn't lend itself to glassing very well, and to be honest I would prefer not to spend my day glassing if i can help it.

TIA

I90west

FNG
I hunt similar country in North Idaho. Glassing is not much of an option so using the bugle tube is the primary way we get on elk. Even though there aren’t great elk numbers in a lot of the places we hunt, there are very few days that we don’t get on elk.

Primarily, we cruise a ton of roads in the dark (2 AM - 5 AM is prime) and bugle in a lot of basins. If there aren’t great road systems, run out a trail in the dark. Most times elk don’t stick close to the roads once it gets light but by locating them in the dark you can keep tabs on the until the reach there bedding area. Then its game on.

Even if you have to take a nap in the middle of the day, I believe burning the mid night oil is the best way to consistently get on elk in that sort of terrain.

Gerbdog

WKR
Get out there a couple hours before dawn and just sit and listen in an area you found fresh sign. Those elk are talking, they just may not be talking during daylight and near daylight because of hunting pressure.

Go out at night and listen. Of course there has to be sign. Take a tree stand and use your tactics for tight lipped whitetails.

If quiet during the day I go nocturnal. That's probably the most efficient method of finding elk that aren't bugling during the day.

After that it comes down to covering miles, and there are more efficient ways of deciding what to cover and what to leave, but elk can cover so much ground in a day it's tough to know the right thing to do. I have no evidence to back this up as being a better method, but I would probably hunt county with less water and then focus on the water that's there, see which water they're hitting (show up, look for sign), and then try to figure out where they are likely to feed and bed from there. This method would get really tough for elk that are travelling many miles to drink, which they do sometimes.

Jethro

WKR
Cold cow calling set ups and watching for bulls coming in silent. I bugle much more often when bulls are quiet. If they are not talking I believe it is my job to start the conversation. I know that isn't popular with the hunters call too much crowd, but it has worked for me. Eventually one fires back or I may just sit and watch for one coming silently to bugles.

hobbes

WKR
In addition to the tracks mentioned, elk leave fresh green piles and plenty of elk smell where they are living.

rogerthat

FNG
In water limited areas, checking water sources for sign is going to tell you where they are at. Once you find the water they are hitting, find the bedding and feeding and set an ambush. It’s pretty simple really