Fire Boots

Lukem

WKR
Not hunting related, but anybody have any recommendations for for wildland fire boots? Any to stay away from?

I know we have a few wildfire guys on the forum.

Thanks!

Luke

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I still have my White's Smokejumpers from 1997 (uuggghh, makes me feel old!). They still fit great, and I use them all the time. I had them resoled a few times, but the uppers are still in great shape.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Thanks!

Any insight as to fit on any suggestions would be great. I'll have to order, not many stores carry this type of stuff in NE...

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Scarpa Fuego is out, must have stitched on sole. Qualifications set by admin.

Others are (excuse my copy and paste):
· All leather outer construction (no fabric panels on the outside)
· At least 8” tall (measured from the bottom of the heel to the lowest point on the upper)
· Lug sole (Vibram soles are approved)
· Sewn-on soles (not glued)
· Metal toe caps and zippers are NOT allowed
· Insulated boots are ok as long as outside is all leather
· Non-metallic shank recommended but not required (The shank is the part of the shoe that runs between the heel and the outsole, and sits under the arch of the foot. The shank supports the foot and helps give a shoe its structure.)

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never did like my whites. I still have them but they collect dust. I have worn la sportiva glacier evos since 07 and love them. They are a little hot and stay out of hot spots or they will delaminate. The new ones are supposed to be better. I've worn them for a season but haven't seen any good fire with them. The comfort is second to none.

MTtrout

WKR
I had a lot of trouble breaking in my white's. I ordered lace to toe and they would bend right at the end of the stitching on top of a few of my toes causing bad hot spots. Other than that, the boot is well made. Not sure if other people have had problems with lace to toe, but I'll never get that option again.

I have had Hathorns(economy whites) for years now in fact I finally had to buy another pair last year. My old pair circa 1999 were finally unrebuildable, they lasted 4 resoles that I can remember.

I tried some LaSportiva Glacier WLF boots before going back to Hathons. The only problem with them was heal hot spots after 3 days of wearing them hunting. They are up for sale if interested size 44.5.

Wesco 's custom , made to order. I used them in the 80s when I was wildland firefighting, I have had 2 pair built, and still have one pair. I think they
are better than White's.

bob

Picked up a new pair of Whites LTT Smokejumpers last season and had the leather insoles come apart within a few weeks. Once I finally made it in to the shop, Whites did a full rebuild for me as well as throwing in a few goodies for my troubles. Boots arrived back at my door in 10 days. Customer service was excellent. Still a little peeved that a $400+ boot would fail that fast, but Whites did right by me and I am happy I stuck with them.

I'm the only one still running the Whites on my crew, everyone else has switched over to the La Sportiva's. They swear by them but I guess I'm just too stubborn to change. I also agree with Drhorsepower, you cannot get the La Sportiva's too hot. Have seen a number of them loose the toe cap from excessive heat.

OP
Lukem

Lukem

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys! Do you have any suggestions as far as things to stay away from or be aware of when looking for fire boots outside of the qualifying list that I'm given? That's a good heads up on the sportivas, but I don't know that I'd have a real issue with too many real hot spots. Mostly deal with grass and cedar timber burns, not a lot of the pine duff burns that can get ur feet hot without knowing it. Been burning in a pair of Danner Vandals and haven't charred them too badly yet if that tells you anything...

Really appreciate all the help!

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Whites Smokejumpers. The break in time does seem to take longe than some other brands (specifically Danner) but I think they are an outstanding boot.

7mag.

WKR
I have had Hathorns(economy whites) for years now in fact I finally had to buy another pair last year. My old pair circa 1999 were finally unrebuildable, they lasted 4 resoles that I can remember.

I tried some LaSportiva Glacier WLF boots before going back to Hathons. The only problem with them was heal hot spots after 3 days of wearing them hunting. They are up for sale if interested size 44.5.

+2 on the Hathorns, that's what I use. You can get them for about $200.

hk3m

FNG
Like my Whites for fire duties. Not the best thing in the world when it gets cold. This is not my go to boot for hunting in the fall or winter.

chenashot

FNG
While I was Hotshotting, I put boots through the paces. I used both Whites and Nicks. After every full season, my whites were always blown out and were sent in for rebuild. This was with taking very good care of them too. Since I switched to Nicks, I haven't had to rebuild yet. I put a single pair through two full 1000 hr seasons and still wear the same pair today without a rebuild. I don't hotshot any more , but still do wildland on engines and hand crews through my fire department. Can't believe how long they have lasted.

I also found that the break in time on my Nicks was almost non existent. Much faster than my whites. Footwear for wildland is not something you want to skimp on. If you plan on doing this for more than one season, then spend the money on a pair of Nicks , or Wesco (what my brother wears and swears by them). Believe me, if you are doing any kind if ground pounding, then good footwear is a must. Now if you are going to be an Engine Slug, well then that's a different story!