Fire Starter

Clarktar

WKR
So I pack around the cotton balls... but I was wondering what people were using to light them. Steel rod? Lighter? Matches?

Ray

WKR
I carry a mini fire stick and a bic. I prefer to use the stick for greased cotton balls.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
hey guys, i tought Arctic Survival at the University of Alaska Fairbanks for 6 years, and students always walked away feeling confident in fire starting.

And I've relied on the following firs starting tools for numerous real-world survival moments, from accidental swims in arctic rivers, to raft disasters resulting in loss of survival gear, etc.

Try Steel Wool (size 0000) and anything that produces a spark. I've used headlamps, flashlights, strikers, 9-volt batteries, sat phone bats, cell phone bats...literally anything with electric terminals or a simple striker. That'll produce a flame that gives you the juice to get a fire started in ANY scenario.

So, I always go afield with 2 oz of steel wool (enough for 12 days of fires) and a striker, but I use my batteries from gadgets as back up ignition source. As tinder in the arctic or rain forests, I also take along a small ziploc bag filled with birch bark, which produces a flame even if soaking wet...the oils in birch bark are the oldest tinder source on earth.

Try it and you'll never rely on lighters or matches again, promise.

larry

Browtine

WKR
Ill carry a bic to light a cigar, but my fire steel lights everything else...trioxane for K stove, Butane stoves and cotton balls in my survival kit.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
This year for fun we tried using purell hand sanitizer, and it worked great! I always have a small travel bottle in my pack anyways.

Bic lighter, a few waterproof matches, and cottonballs rubbed in vasoline are what's in my fire starter kit. I like the ideas Larry brought up, though.

Bic lighter (full size because the minis are impossible to use when your hands are cold) and a magnesium striker.