Fire VS Ammo

Druew368

FNG
I'd like to get your thoughts...

A couple years ago I basically pulled a neighbor out of his engulfed in flames residence. (Okay, now that I've tooted my own horn)

As the place went up, the biggest thing I remember is trying to get this panic stricken guy further and further away from his entire world going up in flames because of his rather impressive stash of ammo going off like WWIII.

I realized that the rounds weren't anywhere near as potent as they would have been if fired from a firearm, but they were definitely hitting harder than I wanted to be hit.

My question to you is, if kept in a metal ammo can, do you think the rounds would penetrate it... Do you think the can it's self would go off like an IED?

Maybe I should perform a controlled test?

You'll end up with a ton of ammo cans that way. Might be better to get a large steel cabinet or cheap safe and put it all in there. Something like 95% of fires start in the kitchen or garage so location is probably as or more important than protection.

WCB

WKR
Most of the time what is actually getting launched in an unsupported detonation of ammunition is the casing itself not the projectile as the casing has less mass. Unless the latch or can was otherwise compromised imo no way they will make it out of the can and it will not mass detonate.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
SAAMI has tested a lot of scenarios:

Single cartidge impact test: 2:04
Bonfire test: 12:20

They didn't do an ammo can test though, so I found this guy who got an ammo can to blow open with his flamethrower:

I store firearms in the house unloaded, specifically with no round in the chamber. This prevents a round in the chamber from cooking off and putting anyone at risk.

if you want to see flying projectiles, fill cardboard box with upright cans of paint and sit the box in a fire. the cans will start flying out like giant bottle 🚀

ammo mostly just blows up in place though

49ereric

WKR
Most of the time what is actually getting launched in an unsupported detonation of ammunition is the casing itself not the projectile as the casing has less mass. Unless the latch or can was otherwise compromised imo no way they will make it out of the can and it will not mass detonate.
An old boss of mine took a 22 casing to the gut when young after a group of native Americans threw 22 shells into the fire then stand by the fire and see who would chicken out…
right of manhood on the rez apparently.
deep flesh wound he said and he tried to hide from his grandmother but once it festered no hiding it. He was more concerned with the force which grandma scrubbed any cut with…
everything she cleaned healed asap though 😆

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Mythbusters did an episode on this also. for the most part, bullet doesn't move and casing does. making the casing shrapnel. still not good to be buzzing around you but nowhere near as bad as a bullet from a gun. Some kind of metal case or in a separate room, would seem to offer some protection.

where things get interesting would be if ammo was stored primer side down. say on a concrete floor? Then you would have lead slugs flying with full force.

ColeyG

WKR
where things get interesting would be if ammo was stored primer side down. say on a concrete floor? Then you would have lead slugs flying with full force.

Definitely not anything close to full force/velocity. Because there is no barrel to contain the pressure generated and propel the bullet, the lead is still unlikely go anywhere with enough force to do much damage. The brass blows apart in this unlikely scenario as well, further lessening the push behind the lead.

A number of years ago I had an interesting encounter with fire and ammo. A friend and I were visiting a remote family cabin that my wife's family had lived in but functionally abandoned some 20 years prior. We were camping just outside of the cabin as the inside had been completely trashed by all manner of critters and the rest was being reclaimed by the earth. We got a little campfire going and were settling in for a nice evening when sh't started exploding out of the fire. Projectiles bounced off of each of us, off the cabin wall nearby, and could be heard and seen whizzing into the night.

Turns out through some stroke of random happenstance, I'd built our little fire right on top of an old canvas bag of ammo that my father-in-law had misplaced in the yard during their move out of that place way back when.

After kicking and smothering the fire out I unearthed the small bag and it was full of 12ga shotgun shells and .45 casings and lead. Exciting and crazy coincidence.

Last edited:

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not anything close to full force/velocity. Because there is no barrel to contain the pressure generated and propel the bullet, the lead is still unlikely go anywhere with enough force to do much damage. The brass blows apart in this unlikely scenario as well, further lessening the push behind the lead.

True. Not something you want to be in the middle of but not as bad as an actual gunshot