First Archery hunt in Idaho

sfc2140

FNG
This is going to be my second ever elk hunt and first ever archery hunt of anything. I struck out on all my draws so I picked up a OTC tag in Idaho. My first elk hunt was also in Idaho. Unfortunately everyone dropped out on me so this has now become another solo hunt. What I am super excited about is getting to hunt during peak rut. I plan on arriving 12 sep and staying through the 18th.

My two worries are calling and setting up. Now I've seen the you tube videos on calling and I have been practicing for the last 9 months. ( my wife is ready to burn all my calls) I think I have gotten pretty decent. My concern is learning and knowing what sequence to call in. Do I rip off a location bugle and if I get a response go into challenge mode or cow calls? Then being a solo hunter how do I call then set,my self up for a shot?

Now I'm counting down days and I am packing re packing then packing again making sure I have everything I need. I'm sure I'll still forget something. I'm super OCD when it comes to my pack I have to have it packed perfectly or it will drive me bonkers.

My ultimate goal would be to harvest any elk but if I'm being 100% honest I will feel pretty damn good if I can even get a response from my calling and if I bring one in. I can't wait. 🤗

stonewall

WKR
In my limited experience I like to use cow calls mostly. I can ratchet things up from there with bugles. So I like to start passive and work up from there if need be

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
What part of Idaho (zone)?

Id recommend listening to every podcast that the Elknut has done with The Rich Outdoors. Also, buying his app was very beneficial to me understanding calling.

Good luck, and get better friends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
What part of Idaho (zone)?

Id recommend listening to every podcast that the Elknut has done with The Rich Outdoors. Also, buying his app was very beneficial to me understanding calling.

Good luck, and get better friends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm trying out pioneer zone. Well my 13+ drive will afford me the opportunity to listen to it all and I will have no one to bother with me practicing my calling.

I'm hoping to hike in far enough to be away from other hunters but that is a dilemma too being solo and getting to far in

If there is nothing bugleing and you are in a good elky area try cold calling...... a few cow calls and raking a tree, it has work in the past.

mmac

WKR
SFC,

I am in the same boat. Will be solo in Colorado this year and I have lots of questions. Paul was nice enough to answer a couple and mentioned his app. The elknut app, I had to go look it up as I was not aware. It is a great deal of information on calling, types of calls, when to use them etc. Let's you record and compare to his and the real thing. I highly recommend it.

Edit - Was typing when you were, so glad you got it as well.

FLAK

WKR
Don't hunt like everyone else. No Bugles, just use cow calls sparingly.
Find some good timber.
Maybe occasionally rub on a conifer like a bull would do. Still Hunt, listen, smell.
Use the wind.
The more sign you find, the slower you hunt. Stand still looking for movement.
That's how I would do it.

I killed my first bull in ID in 2009 - hunted the same area the year before with some bulls called in but no arrows released. My experience turkey hunting/calling coupled with the info in Elknut's playbook was invaluable. My advice is hunt smart but don't be timid. Listen to Elknuts calling sequences so you understand what's going on when you hear it in the woods. Keep the wind right and when on a bull get as close as you possibly can before calling - once you call you are on defense. As a solo hunter especially don't overlook short but very difficult hikes due to terrain/water etc. Most hunters look for an easy access point (trail) and then hike further to get away from the crowd. I look for the worst possible access points - hunters avoid these spots. The elk know it and I've been into good elk right within 1/2 mile of main highways doing this.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
So I'm curious how many of you carry a spotting scope during archery season? I am thinking of bringing mine but probably leaving it in the truck I have a good set of binos.

runnhunt

FNG
Good luck in the Pioneer zone! I'll be in the zone next to you. It's an awesome area. I second the advice to leave the spotter in the truck. Also, if you haven't already, sign up for Elk101 and go through the course. There's a great module on calling and setups. Invaluable.

I normally don’t bring a spotter for elk in ID but if you were going to hunt a middle or high end draw unit a lightweight spotter like the Kowa 554 is really nice to have.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Was just in the pioneer the last two weeks. Really cool area. Ended up not harvesting an elk, but had opportunity and saw elk most days. You will be hitting much better weather than what I had! There were a lot of areas that looked to have water several weeks ago that no longer had water, and the elk sign was old as well, but nothing fresh. Look high with green vegetation and you should be in them. Send me a pm if you want some specific areas where I found some