• Floorless

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • Single/double person tent

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey guys, I have been watching and searching this website for about a year now and I feel like I have to post now. I am a hunter from Ohio and am planning on doing my first western hunt for elk in Wyoming next year on a general tag. I am deciding between a floorless shelter like Seek Outside Redcliff or Cimarron, or a floored shelter like a Hilleberg Akto. I will be doing a rifle hunt probably in the South part of the state with at least two other people. Also, I will be most likely hiking in a few miles and setting up a spike camp for a few days and also spending the first few days by the truck.

The things I like about the floorless options are the stoves, hanging with your buddies, drying things out.
The things I like about the one person tents are I can keep my stuff separate, and I can set it up wherever I want to.

The questions that I have are listed below! Thank you for all the help! let me know if you need any additional information.

1. Is a stove really that important for this type of hunt?
2. Is the Akto to small for a rifle hunt?
3. Would you recommend any other tents or tent styles?
4. What do you guys run for hunts like this?

zacattack

WKR
Why not go with a smaller 2 man floorless tent? My buddies normally snore like freight trains and I’m always appreciative of having my own tent. I got a mountain laurel designs duomid last year that I’ve been very pleased with so far.

When I was bitten by the backpack hunting bug years ago I had a hard time wrapping my head around using a floorless shelter in Sept in CO for an archery elk hunt. Living my whole life in OK with snakes, spiders, mosquitos, etc... I just couldn’t believe what I was reading that floorless shelters were the way to go. Reading tons of articles and lots of advice to try it I was still hesitant so I took a big agnes Copper Spur for my first trip. It worked fine but I quickly realized that a floorless shelter would’ve been much nicer for the trip. More room, in and out with my boots on, standing to get dressed (started with a Kifaru Mega Tarp and then moved into a Kifaru Tut), etc are just a few benefits. Couple of trips later I added a stove and reaped the benefits of warmth, drying stuff, mood elevation,a dim ive been sold ever since. The trip should dictate the shelter you bring but I don’t plan on hunting CO in Sept without my floorless shelter ever a again.

I’ll second what mrbillbrown said. I started western hunting two years ago and my first shelter was a seek outside LBO. I’m also from OK and was spooked about the floor less so I bought the nest for the LBO also. I used it on my first Montana archery hunt and really liked it. Since then I’ve bought a SO silex with no nest and that’s what I used in Montana archery last year and I really like it. Both have stove jacks but I haven’t used them. I carry two sheets of tyvek and so far it’s great. It’s nice to be able to walk in with your boots on.

OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
I appreciate all the response on this! I am willing to here pluses and minuses of both if anyone has experience with another type??

Marble

WKR
I've never had a stove and have been hunting the rockies since the late 90s. That doesn't mean I would not have liked to have one, just never have.

I've never used a floor less shelter, but I would if my current tent went bad. For me, I like extra room in my tent in case gear needs to come in. So I use a 3 man big Agnes. It weighs less than 3 pounds and has enough room for two dudes and limited gear. What I'm getting at, is consider the size. I like the room.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
some people like floorless and some never will. and some fly both ways. i have five shelters and 2 have floors. it has beeen many years since i used a floor. but you never know when one will be needed.

my light bulb moment came in a snow storm in the early 90's. snow was melting and slush was all over the floor. we used a t shirt to mop up the water constantly.

finally in desperation i took my knife and punched a hole in our nice new floor to let the water out. bingo. light bulb came on.

this is just after it was put back up after collapsing at 2 AM
ic8dcsj.jpg

Northpark

WKR
I go both ways. Basically the rule is if creepy crawlers like snakes, scorpions, big A$& spiders, etc. are around like here in the desert of AZ I’m using my Nemo hornet 2p. Figure if it’s warm enough for them to be out and about I don’t need the stove and I’m gonna be able to be outside more and not need as much shelter. No creepy crawlers like at 9,000 feet in Colorado in September-November I’m using my SO Cimmaron and stove, because I’m increasingly a pansy when it comes to being cold and odds are I’m gonna be spending more time in my shelter.

Lake70

FNG
I'm making my 3rd hunt to the mountains this year. 1st trip was with warbonnet hammock. Absolutely froze. 2nd with SO cimmiron and stove. It was great but too heavy. This 3rd trip I'm thinking about a kifaru super or Para tarp. Too many decisions

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
The nice thing with most floorless shelters is you can add an inner nest and then you have all the bases covered.

I’ve always used a floorless tent. All of my outings have been floorless, started in the military using a poncho and now I use a BPW Luna 6. Its supposed to sleep six, fits two dudes max.....I have used my Luna in Washington, Oregon, Montana, Alaska and Colorado with no issues. I rarely use a stove as I am pretty lazy.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I use a nallo2 GT. Could see taking out the inner tent and just using the outside part as a "flooress" option. It goes up and down so easy though I'd really have to be cutting weight to bother with that. First tent purchase and very impressed with it so far. Waited out a nasty storm in it and zero issues with water or getting blown around.

OP
A

andyros2393

FNG
Classified Approved
I use a nallo2 GT. Could see taking out the inner tent and just using the outside part as a "flooress" option. It goes up and down so easy though I'd really have to be cutting weight to bother with that. First tent purchase and very impressed with it so far. Waited out a nasty storm in it and zero issues with water or getting blown around.
I ended up going with the akto. Think I should switch to a two person?

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with the akto. Think I should switch to a two person?

I got the two person tent with the huge front porch as kind of a catch all. The dog and I fit very comfortably. The dog, girlfriend and I fit adequately. If I'm alone its luxurious but there is def a weight penalty. It just happened to check the most boxes for how I intend to use it.

Snyder (from Kifaru) has used the Akto a lot and has a lot of positive things to say. That is probably a good choice. If I didn't have the dog I would have gone in that direction - and may at some point - but I don't need tents multiplying just yet (I'd rather put that towards glass or a new shotgun) and eating the 3 lbs hasn't ruined a trip.

You didn't ask but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents anyway. I love hunting out of a bivy. The #1 reason, I'm lazy. I keep my sleeping bag inside it stuffed into my pack. It keeps it dry if my pack gets wet and when we decide to make camp, I layout my pad and throw down my bag, that's it. I carry a small tarp to make a lean to if it rains so I don't have to be zipped up tight.

The #2 reason, there is just something about living where ever you decide to lay down.

I started with a mil issue goretex bivy and switched to an OR Helium. My partner uses the OR Alpine. Each has their advantages but I would lean more toward the Alpine.