Shelter for New Mexico elk hunt

Gdharmon1

FNG
I have an elk archery hunt in New Mexico coming up and I am having trouble figuring out what shelter to use. It will be my dad and I hunting out of the truck. Good road system, so backpacking isn’t necessary. My dad is scared of scorpions and snakes. Any recommendations for a desert shelter would be appreciated.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
If you're out of the truck, weight shouldn't be an issue so don't spend a ton of money on it. You would be just fine with any big-box outdoor store/REI double wall tent with a mesh top. If rain isn't in the forecast. Leave the fly off in the desert and you'll be set. When car camping I use my Nemo Dagger 2p and would be just fine for that.

NM weather can vary quite a bit based on the location and timing of the hunt. If you've got yourself a muzzleloader or rifle tag in mid-late October that could be quite pleasant if you're tags are in the southern half of the state, but if you're up north, tent camping that time of year can be cold. I helped a few buddies take down some bulls near Chama around Columbus day weekend in 2020. Temps were down in the single digits.

Also, snake and scorpions may be no factor depending on elevation. You typically won't see too many much above 7500'

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought a Gazelle for road camping, used it last January, love the quick set up and tear down, handled weather well and even a snow storm this past turkey season also.

Buddy heater running while awake, I turn it off while sleeping, heard of someone having his vents ice up over night running his, has not been an issue with mine running for a couple hours but really dry conditions.