First elk hunt 2021

This will be my first year elk hunting with archery equipment. My question is what type of set up should I go with for 60 lb draw. More specifically arrow weight and broadhead. I’m probably over thinking it but I want to be confident. Best wishes

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
Do you hunt deer with archery equipment? Where are you planning on hunting?

With no real detail, 400+ grain arrow, cut on contact fixed blade broadhead. If you are already shooting something similar, I'd just stay with that as I don't see a reason to change setups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
H
I currently hunt whitetail in the east, I use a 100 gr nap spitfire mechanical. I shoot the Easton axis with a 28” draw. Any recommendations for cut on contact head?this will be archery elk in Colorado

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried enough broadheads to give a good recommendation, but here's what I have used or have in my quiver:

Ironwill 100 grain solids
QAD Exodus 100 grain fulls

I also have Ramcats, but haven't shot them enough to get a good feeling about how they would do on elk, but I suspect they would work well.

My setup is 540grain arrow. Easton Axis with 50 grain insert and 25 grain collar, and 100 grain broadheads. I shoot the same setup at everything I hunt (deer, elk, hog, squirrels), although I typically shoot different broadheads depending on the situation. Granted I'm shooting 70lb with a 30" draw. If your deer setup is shooting good, I'd just trade the expandables for fixed blades and let her rip. Try to have the broadheads hitting consistent beyond your comfort range and enjoy yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have killed I think 8 elk with spitfires, seen over 20 die from them. If they are tuned well from your setup they will probably work fine. I have always shot them at 70#+. At 60# I would be looking at a smaller cutting diameter with a fixed blade for better penetration. What's your draw length? That can have as much or more to do with your energy than your draw weight.

Most important thing is confidence in your setup and knowing where to hit, along with being able to hit where you are aiming.

OP
H
28” draw, I know the spitfires are hard in the deer but I figured they wouldn’t work as well on an elk.

I personally pull a 70# bow with a 565 grain arrow. If you go heavy towards the front of the arrow, you'll deliver enough hitting power as you build up kinetic energy for strong penetration. I'm personally using Victory Xtorsions with 125gr fixed blade grim reaper hades broadheads. I've also got the factory inserts from Victory which I think were around 55gr.

For 2021, I'm switching to the Victory VAP SS arrows and will try to maintain a similar overall arrow weight as I've been getting passthroughs on whitetails. I'm not sold on mechanical broadheads and have confidence in fixed blade. I'll also be switching over to annihilator broadheads for the coming season.

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 415 grain Easton FMJ with 100gr QAD Exodus swept blades. 27" draw at 65lbs. speed is 260fps
killed 3 bulls with this setup

Peteyur

FNG
My advice for elk is make sure it’s a cut on contact point. There are a lot of good mechanicals out there but when you’re standing in front of an Elk of a lifetime do you want to make sure you’re going to go through both sides of them I believe for a better blood trail. There are a lot of good broadheads out there and if you search YouTube I believe there are a lot of good Al Connors testing a lot of different brands. I know lots of people have killed lots of elk with mechanicals but my opinion has always been the more advantages on your side of the fence the better off you are. And with elk a huge hole isn’t near as important as getting penetration into both lungs and possibly out the other side. There is a lot of cavity with an elk to fill up with blood and not leave a very good blood trail.
I have killed more animals with mechanicals then fix heads. And they are my go to Brodhead. But for elk getting through a hide that is thicker and harder than most other animals, a cut on contact is by far the best advantage you can have in my lowly opinion.

87TT

WKR
I shoot a 415 grain Easton FMJ with 100gr QAD Exodus swept blades. 27" draw at 65lbs. speed is 260fps
killed 3 bulls with this setup
Make sure your setup is legal where you hunt. mechanicals and swept blades are illegal in Idaho as well as lighted nocks and sights.

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your setup is legal where you hunt. mechanicals and swept blades are illegal in Idaho as well as lighted nocks and sights.
I hunt in Wyoming and New Mexico, so I'm good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
498 gr with Kudupoints for me. Probably going to bump it up tp 510 next year as I'a changing inserts.

Scoot

WKR
First elk I shot was with a spitfire. Great deer head, mediocre (at best) head for elk. Their hide is tougher/thicker, their bones are way bigger, everything about them is a lot tougher than a deer. I recommend a minimum of 400 grains total arrow/head (closer to 500 is better) and a fixed, cut on contact head. Tons of great options, many mentioned above.

nphunter

WKR
I would keep your current arrows and get a good fixed COC. Magnus, Kudu, Solid, IW, Day 6. Depends on what you want to spend. The Magnus heads have probably killed 10-1 more animal than the rest and are great quality heads. Some of the more expensive heads like IW, Valkyrie, Day 6, and Solids are not necessary at all and unless you just have money to blow I would use the money to pay for more fuel or another night on the road hunting.
The new kudu with bleeders would be a great choice for elk IMO, you're probably shooting about a 425gr arrow with a 100gr head.

OP
H
I appreciate all the advice, I’ll have to weigh everything out to see where I’m at and go from there. Does anyone use a weighted insert and if so which brand? Thanks again