First Elk Hunt - general questions about CO GMU 62

Cody_W

WKR
There are designated ATV trails. If you hunt any wilderness area they’ll be stuck on the roads. People done seem to get too far off trails. Whole lot of people hunt the area. I’ve enever been and it isn’t just packed full of people. Just have to find where the elk end up getting pushed. Archery season hits the area super hard right before first season so it’s a crap shoot. Didn’t see a bull one last year.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
There are designated ATV trails. If you hunt any wilderness area they’ll be stuck on the roads. People done seem to get too far off trails. Whole lot of people hunt the area. I’ve enever been and it isn’t just packed full of people. Just have to find where the elk end up getting pushed. Archery season hits the area super hard right before first season so it’s a crap shoot. Didn’t see a bull one last year.
What season did you hunt last year?

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at Dominguez Wilderness but i thought i read somewhere that it was more Mule Deer down there than elk. Maybe not though. Just been trying to find potential water sources and bedding that are far enough off trail that the ATV hunters wont venture.

Cody_W

WKR
Last year I hunted second. 2020 I hunted 1st season. I’ve been told by the local game warden that Dominguez is pretty arid and doesn’t hold a lot of animals

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It looks like a pumpkin patch on the divide road! Find the deepest nastiest Canyon and get after it is the best way to kill anything in there! I have seen some studs be pulled out of that unit though!

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like a pumpkin patch on the divide road! Find the deepest nastiest Canyon and get after it is the best way to kill anything in there! I have seen some studs be pulled out of that unit though!
sounds like a plan. That’s what I’ve been trying to scout on OnX. You think I should stay in the NF or is the BLM out there a viable option. The BLM looks like some real nasty canyon stuff but also really dry. Can’t decide if it’s too low in elevation or if the elk may be hiding there

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
sounds like a plan. That’s what I’ve been trying to scout on OnX. You think I should stay in the NF or is the BLM out there a viable option. The BLM looks like some real nasty canyon stuff but also really dry. Can’t decide if it’s too low in elevation or if the elk may be hiding there
You should be able to find elk in both! A few less people in the BLM because it is a little further away from the divide road!