First Elk Hunt - OTC Rifle

AOK144

FNG
Hey everyone, I've been reading all sorts of great information on here for the last year or so while trying to plan for my first elk hunt. A major thanks to everyone who's comments have helped me thus far!

A friend and I are planning on doing the 3rd rifle season this year in Colorado as a DIY public land hunt. We plan to backpack hunt and sleep wherever we end up each night rather than having a camp to return to. Obviously if we can't get on the elk, we are willing to move to a different spot but time will tell on that.

I have been looking at seasonal ranges, migration routes, all the statistics of the different GMUs and have some ideas as to where to go but I'm leaning towards Unit 13. My concern is that there is too much private land (potental for not enough public land to check out if elk aren't around) and the elk will move towards there due to hunting pressure. Is this a safe assumption which causes the success rate to become somewhat "artificially inflated" as it does not represent public land rates?

If that's the case, which GMUs are best suited for our intended hunting strategy?

Also, the lower region of the unit that has the public land is at an elevation of 7-8000 feet. For early November is this a good elevation to consider?

Thanks!

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on backpacking in Colorado in November be aware it can get really cold at night, make sure your sleeping bag is up to the task. Most guys will be in a wall tent with a wood burning stove!

Out of all the units west of I-25 in CO, 13 is probably in the top 3 for most private land (89.5%). If there aren't elk in the BLM there, you'll be out of options unless you want to drive throughout the unit hitting the small STL's.

The weather in November is very unpredictable and I think it would be wise for you to choose a unit with some higher ground as well as low elevation stuff. If there aren't any heavy snowstorms by 3rd season, the elk will not migrate down. Also, if you plan on backpacking in during 3rd season, be prepared for some very long, cold nights.

OP
A

AOK144

FNG
That pretty much sums up my concerns. I'll start researching some of the other units I was eyeing up and check back after I do some better research.

As for the cold weather, I've camped in -10°F a few times and have much better gear since then. I'd like to think I'm ready for whatever mother nature throws my way temperature wise ... I'm assuming a tarp or even bivy setup (to stay light) wouldn't cut it with the wind chill? Tent for sure?

OP
A

AOK144

FNG
Missed elktaco's post. I don't think I'll have the ability to do a stoved tent but I can definitely bust out ye ol tent to cut the wind

brsnow

WKR
Make sure you have a 4 season tent and snowshoes. Really double check your survival kit/first aid. Can be really nasty, I have hunted 4th season for quite some time.

441 definitely looks like a better option than 13. I've never been to the area but it looks like you would have the ability to look at some different elevations if necessary.

If you are serious about packing in, a 4 season tent is pretty crucial and a stove would also be on the top of my list. It is pretty tough to stay out there when you are freezing. All of your water will likely freeze and you will need to be constantly melting snow for drinking/cooking water. If you're prepared for it definitely give it a shot, but make sure to bring truck camping stuff as well. You never know, there was no snow on the ground in November a couple years ago and was definitely warm enough to backpack, but last year it snowed so much during first season I had to car camp. Just be prepared for everything

rickerb24

FNG
Go for an area with a little more public land and make sure your gear is up to par to keep you comfortable and out hunting longer

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
The worst thing is water management. Ive hunted december in wyoming and mid november in Montana and both times it was a struggle to keep water liquid. We even had a tipi tent with a stove.

I would hesitate to go deep into the backcountry without knowing there is a running stream to get liquid water daily.

Hey guys so I have a similar question. I'm going on my first elk hunt next year in November (first week). What sleeping bag do you recommend? I currently have a 20 degree bag and I know that won't be enough. I was looking into the Marmot Wind River -10 bag. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? Would you recommend getting a bag with a lower temperature rating or is -10 good enough?

https://www.marmot.com/wind-river--10-sleeping-bag---long-38140.html

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Hey guys so I have a similar question. I'm going on my first elk hunt next year in November (first week). What sleeping bag do you recommend? I currently have a 20 degree bag and I know that won't be enough. I was looking into the Marmot Wind River -10 bag. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? Would you recommend getting a bag with a lower temperature rating or is -10 good enough?

https://www.marmot.com/wind-river--10-sleeping-bag---long-38140.html

What kind of hunt are you doing? That's a pretty heavy bag for a backpack hunt. I'd look for a zero degree bag with 800+ FP. Check out the Lithium zero if you want Marmot.

What kind of hunt are you doing? That's a pretty heavy bag for a backpack hunt. I'd look for a zero degree bag with 800+ FP. Check out the Lithium zero if you want Marmot.
It's going to be a backcountry hunt. I plan on hiking in about 5 miles and setting up camp hunting from there. I would love get a bag like that, but it's just so damn expensive. Any other bag suggestions? I'm not committed to any brand. Thanks!

If you plan on hiking 5 miles deep in November, you better have the warmest bag you can afford. I would rather have a 5lb bag thats rated to -10 than a 3lb bag rated to 0. November nights in the CO mountains are very long and cold.

That was my thinking too. I'd rather get the warmest bag so I can get a good night sleep than have something lightweight and be shivering (been there before). I think I'd rather take the extra weight.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
That was my thinking too. I'd rather get the warmest bag so I can get a good night sleep than have something lightweight and be shivering (been there before). I think I'd rather take the extra weight.

Every ounce counts on a backpack hunt. If it goes below zero, wear an extra layer or take along a silk liner for a little added warmth. The Lithium was just on sale in the mid-$300s. Buy the best you can afford the first go around, even if that means saving a little longer.

Phaseolus

WKR
Hey everyone, I've been reading all sorts of great information on here for the last year or so while trying to plan for my first elk hunt. A major thanks to everyone who's comments have helped me thus far!

A friend and I are planning on doing the 3rd rifle season this year in Colorado as a DIY public land hunt. We plan to backpack hunt and sleep wherever we end up each night rather than having a camp to return to. Obviously if we can't get on the elk, we are willing to move to a different spot but time will tell on that.

I have been looking at seasonal ranges, migration routes, all the statistics of the different GMUs and have some ideas as to where to go but I'm leaning towards Unit 13. My concern is that there is too much private land (potental for not enough public land to check out if elk aren't around) and the elk will move towards there due to hunting pressure. Is this a safe assumption which causes the success rate to become somewhat "artificially inflated" as it does not represent public land rates?

If that's the case, which GMUs are best suited for our intended hunting strategy?

Also, the lower region of the unit that has the public land is at an elevation of 7-8000 feet. For early November is this a good elevation to consider?

Thanks!

If you don’t already have a bunch of backcountry winter backpacking experience you might consider camping at your vehicle and hunting on foot from there. November backcountry is not the place to try it for the first time.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
No experience here. Can one person reasonably pack out an elk 5 miles one way doing it solo?

ChrisAU

WKR
No experience here. Can one person reasonably pack out an elk 5 miles one way doing it solo?

Took 4 of us two trips in good-great physical shape to get mine 5.6 miles to the truck one way with camp over 2 days. After spending a day (and two trips) getting him the 2 miles from killsite to camp. We all wanted to die. We gained 2300 ft of elevation on the heavy leg of each trip top the truck in about a 2 miles span. Snowing, muddy, slippery, steep ground from roughly 9200 feet to 11500 feet, so lower oxygen levels at that altitude. So IMO, no. Any inexperienced person just picking a spot on google maps and going in steep and deep is either going to hurt themselves packing one out or lose a lot of meat or both.

5 miles on flat ground with 2-3 days to make it happen? Maybe.