First elk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Congrats on the success, 100% agree with you, as long as the animal is standing keep shooting.
How far did you have to walk to get away from people, did you stay out in the woods?
did you have the chance to record your success?

I am happy for you, well done
I actually found him right off the road. I was hike in hunting for 3 days before this and didn’t see anything. This was in a random spot that I’d set a trail camera at and I just walked into the group. Unfortunately, didn’t record it.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I actually found him right off the road. I was hike in hunting for 3 days before this and didn’t see anything. This was in a random spot that I’d set a trail camera at and I just walked into the group. Unfortunately, didn’t record it.
I've said this my whole life and it remains true today - I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

Yeah it was my first time archery elk hunting, first time hunting at all. Went out solo and heard zero elk the whole time, just ran into this small group of cows and this bull.
Too cool! That’s pretty amazing. First of many!

no matter how good of an opportunity it is, new elk hunters generally find a way to mess it up… I know I look back wishing I had some of those encounters back.

I also think hunting solo speeds up the learning curve, it’s all you, and you pick up on the little details better when there are no distractions.

again, well done man, I’m impressed

Savage99

WKR
Yeah it was my first time archery elk hunting, first time hunting at all. Went out solo and heard zero elk the whole time, just ran into this small group of cows and this bull.

You’re done for now! Again congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Too cool! That’s pretty amazing. First of many!

no matter how good of an opportunity it is, new elk hunters generally find a way to mess it up… I know I look back wishing I had some of those encounters back.

I also think hunting solo speeds up the learning curve, it’s all you, and you pick up on the little details better when there are no distractions.

again, well done man, I’m impressed
Thank you so much man! Solo hunting definitely has sped up the learning curve but can be really mentally draining when you’re not seeing any critters. However, I do love the solitude in the woods.

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
I've said this my whole life and it remains true today - I'd rather be lucky than good any day!
I agree. Especially early season on public land when the elk aren’t talking.

LostArra

WKR
Congratulations on a rare feat of taking an elk on the first try. Outstanding!

Solo hunting definitely has sped up the learning curve but can be really mentally draining when you’re not seeing any critters.

That pretty much sums up the challenge of elk hunting. Not conditioning or 100 yard broadhead groups or having the right backpack, It's keeping a positive attitude when the elk aren't cooperating. Keep hunting, not hiking. Well done sir!

Thank you so much man! Solo hunting definitely has sped up the learning curve but can be really mentally draining when you’re not seeing any critters. However, I do love the solitude in the woods.
i think the "secret" to consistently killing elk is a person's ability to stay positive and optimistic no matter what.... almost an irrational optimism.... i think there is a relationship between that and confidence, but it all seems to blend together with time and experience.

when things are slow, stay aware and put things into perspective.... haven't seen an elk in a few days? what else would you rather be doing? we impatiently wait for archery elk season every year, it starts consuming us early summer knowing it's close.... hard to get too down if you remind yourself of that.... it's elk season, you're in the mountains.... that's what we wait for all year!

the situation that unfolded when you killed your bull can happen any time you're in the woods trying... sounds kinda corny but it's a fact. if you stay motivated, stay positive, you will be ready when that little opportunity comes.

if you are all down on yourself because of slow action, that opportunity compounds the frustration because you just blew them out not paying attention.... it always seems almost impossible until that little scenario that plays out almost too easy..... there is ALWAYS that opportunity during the season, but you have to be present, and you have to be ready for it and paying attention..... the rest of it will come with experience.

elk hunting comes down to attitude.... the people who can keep a good attitude regardless of what's happening are the ones killing bulls every year or at least close to it, and when you have a good attitude, you notice the little details and put them into play.... you have momentum going for you right now, so early in your elk hunting career, take advantage of that!

how was the pack out? did you get help or do it all yourself?

i really enjoy these types of stories, i can just imagine the satisfaction you have, it's cool stuff!

I had 4 in the quiver to start off. My first shot was fatal but I wasn't 100% sure since I'm really new, so I sent 3 more since he gave me the opportunity. Probably overkill but it didn't harm any meat and likely put him down faster.

If given the opportunity keep putting your arrows in an animal while alive. Good Job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
i think the "secret" to consistently killing elk is a person's ability to stay positive and optimistic no matter what.... almost an irrational optimism.... i think there is a relationship between that and confidence, but it all seems to blend together with time and experience.

when things are slow, stay aware and put things into perspective.... haven't seen an elk in a few days? what else would you rather be doing? we impatiently wait for archery elk season every year, it starts consuming us early summer knowing it's close.... hard to get too down if you remind yourself of that.... it's elk season, you're in the mountains.... that's what we wait for all year!

the situation that unfolded when you killed your bull can happen any time you're in the woods trying... sounds kinda corny but it's a fact. if you stay motivated, stay positive, you will be ready when that little opportunity comes.

if you are all down on yourself because of slow action, that opportunity compounds the frustration because you just blew them out not paying attention.... it always seems almost impossible until that little scenario that plays out almost too easy..... there is ALWAYS that opportunity during the season, but you have to be present, and you have to be ready for it and paying attention..... the rest of it will come with experience.

elk hunting comes down to attitude.... the people who can keep a good attitude regardless of what's happening are the ones killing bulls every year or at least close to it, and when you have a good attitude, you notice the little details and put them into play.... you have momentum going for you right now, so early in your elk hunting career, take advantage of that!

how was the pack out? did you get help or do it all yourself?

i really enjoy these types of stories, i can just imagine the satisfaction you have, it's cool stuff!
Thank you for all the helpful messages. I 100% agree with the mindset being the absolute most important factor in hunting. I had my non hunter dad and non hunter friend to help me for the field dress and pack out. The dressing was tough because none of us had done it before and swarms of yellow jackets were coming down on the carcass (likely because I killed him in low ish ≈5k ft country) but we were able to get it done after a few hours with no spoilage. The pack out ended up being really pleasant because he was down so close to the road. 2 trips with 3 people.
I really want to go for a Roosevelt in the near future since I’ll be going to school near areas that hold them.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, that’s just outstanding! Way to go! I’m headed out next weekend to scout in WY for cow elk and I’ll have my bow. First time hunting elk and I’m really excited. Figure it’s better to bow hunt than scout with a dumb look on my face! Then headed back in Oct for the rifle season.

Last edited: