When was your first year hunting OTC Elk in Colorado?

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Last year. Had previously only hunted ID,UT and NM. Drew a second archery NM tag this year but I’m going back to OTC Colorado again as well. Didn’t see many elk last year and it kinda made me mad. Gonna go suffer through it again and see if I learned anything last year.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
2016, still kicks my ass. I must be going about it the wrong way. Usually comes down to the 1 to 3 opportunities per year. Gets crazier every year, first year hiked almost 70 miles and didn't see another soul, no I find dudes camping right next to me 5-8 miles in!

KsRancher

WKR
I had heard my dad talk about how he would love to elk hunting since I remember as a little kid. Even though it's pretty cheap to go to Colorado elk we couldn't afford it when I was a kid. By 2012 both dad and I were doing fairly decent financially. So called him up one day in late winter and said "don't plan anything for the first part of September, we are going to Colorado elk hunting". Never seen an elk, but man we got hooked. Backpacked 5 miles into a Wilderness area with 75lb packs full of crap we didn't need.

feanor

WKR
2017. Went with a friend, but it was his vacation. I found that out the hard way and changed my plan of attack the next year.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Every year that I haven’t drawn a limited entry tag somewhere since 2017.

I’ve only hunted otc rifle but I did have a muzzleloader tag in an otc archery unit a couple years ago. Never again, what a zoo!!! Maybe it was the unit but it sure seemed more crowded than any rifle season I’ve hunted.