First Gear List - What should I drop/add, etc?

Mike7

WKR
Oh, and I agree with the water bladders. For day hunts, 3 L is more than enough typically (as long as you are not up packing an elk all night on a dry ridge, after running out of your 3 Liters at the end of a day hunting). But for multi-day trips with questionable distance to water, I take my clean water bag filled with 3-4 Liters, and will also sometimes fill my dirty 3L bag with attached Sawyer filter. I may be on a dry ridge hunting most of the time and don't want to leave.

It is not a matter of survival in N. Idaho usually, but more one of convenience. Water may be just 1-2 miles away in the bottom of a steep brushy canyon...and it may take the elk only 15-20 minutes to get there, but it is going to take a lot longer for you or I, and really suck to have to hike straight down from that area where you are seeing elk during the day.

The water purification setup is overkill. I would only bring 1 filtration system and tablets. You already have a back up with a pot and fire to boil water if the rest fails. The med kit is good but I would scrap the quick clot and add imodium as was previously mentioned. Add a 3-4 inch wide ACE wrap . Clothing I would add another pair of primary socks and 1 pair of sock liners to aid in blister prevention . A camo balaclava or face paint I would also add.

OP
NorthCountry
How is it overkill? Perhaps you didnt read it correctly - one filter is for winter, the other for the rest of the seasons. I'll go ahead and bring an extra 3L bladder. I will also be bringing an extra pair of socks and underwear. Seems like a consensus on dropping the quick clot and adding Imodium. Your guys advice is very helpful, thanks!

NorthCountry, You are correct. I didn't read the note that you had about 1 filter for summer and 1 for winter. Knowing that I would agree that it looks like a good season specific system .