First Gear List - What should I drop/add, etc?

Alrighty folks, for the past couple weeks I've been compiling different items to create a comfortable, functional, semi-light gear list aimed to make a joyful hunting/backpacking trip. (This list is meant to incorporate all 4 seasons.)

Let me know what you would drop/add or switch for a reasonably higher quality item.

Pack
Kifaru EMR 2 with a Duplex frame and XTL lid - 130.8 oz

Sleep System
Kifaru Sawtooth w/liner - 90 oz
Kifaru 12" medium oval stove - 33.5 oz
Enlightened Equipment 10 degree quilt - 22.94 oz
Integral Designs Bugaboo II bivy - 26.16 oz
Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm - 20 oz
Thermarest RidgeRest SOlite - 19 oz
ExPed Pillow UL - 1.9 oz

Cooking System
Kifaru 12" medium oval stove - refer above
Sea to Summit Ti Spork - .42 oz
MSR Titan Kettle - 4.2 oz
MSR Titan Cup - 1.9 oz
Whatever food I have - dependent on trip

Clothing (If you have weights that I'm missing, let me know!)
FL Red Desert Boxers - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
FL Allegheny Bottoms - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
FL Llano QZ quarter zip - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
FL Chama QZ Midweight - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
Kuiu Attack Pants - 18.5 oz
FL Uncompahgre Puffy - 21.5 oz
Kryptek Koldo Rain System (jacket and pant) - 52 oz
FL Brimmed Beanie - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
Sitka Talus glove - 4.8 oz
FL Glove - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
Kifaru Belt - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT
OR CROC gaiters - 10.2 oz
Hanwag Mountain Light GTX boots - 52.8 oz
Darn Tough boot cushion socks - CAN'T FIND WEIGHT

Fire & Water (2 filters due to one for winter and one for summer)
Trioxane Bar - 1.6 oz
Bic lighter - 1.2 oz
Fire Steel 1/4 x 3 in - .53 oz
1 liter bottle - 1.2 oz
Sawyer 3 way inline filter - 2 oz
Platypus Big Zip (3L) - 5.6 oz
Platypus Big Zip (3L backup) - 5.6 oz
MSR Microworks EX - 14.6 oz
Aqua Mira Drops - 3 oz

Illumination
Black Diamond Spot - 3.25 oz
Petzl Tikka 2 (backup) - 2.9 oz

First Aid
Gauze 4x4
Mole skin 4x4 x4
Large Band aids x4
Small Band aids x2
Nonadherent dressing x2
Antibiotic ointment packets x4
Alcohol pads x4
Cotton applicators x2
Nitril Gloves
Needle nose tweezers
Tylenol
Ibuprofen
Vicodin
Benadryl
Sewing kit (needles, thread, buttons)
Safety pins x2
Super Glue
2 ft Duct tape

Toiletries
Toothbrush
Baking Soda
Half Roll of TP
Handi wipes

Misc
Leki Corklite trekking poles - 16.8 oz
Map
Compass
GPS
Zip ties x2
Leatherman Skeletool CX - 5 oz
Kill kit - 21 oz
- 1 Kifaru Medium Pull Out
- 1 TAG BOMB bag set
- 1 Kifaru Meat Bag
- 1 Roll of UL ribbon
- 1 25 ft orange 550 cord
- 1 25 ft green 550 cord
- 2 Latex gloves
- 1 Havalon Piranta Edge

Total weight: 37.22 lbs with the item I know the weight of.

I will crunch the weight of the first aid kit and toiletries after I assemble them, so ultimately I suppose I'm around 55 lbs???

All input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

CJ Ratliff

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. You might want to take a knife, and I would quadruple up on the moleskin. It weighs nothing, and if you need it, not having enough can easily ruin your trip.

Lol! Forgot the knife(s). I added the weight of the Havalon to the Kill Kit, but didn't write it down. I'll also be carrying a Leatherman Skeletool.

Appreciate the reply!

Looks good except for a couple things. I'd drop the FL Labrador unless you absolutely love it. It's a nice piece but weight to warmth is really quite bad. The talus and FL gloves seem redundant unless the FL are liners. Me personally I would take another pair of socks. I didn't see a base layer unless you plan on running the chama all year round, may be a little warm at certain times.

Finally unless you have training or at least some expertise in the medical field ditch the quick clot, in theory they are great in practical use for everyday people they are not especially if it's the old powder and not the sponge.

I agree with Tips on the Labrador sweater. Weight to warmth isn't very good. I have one and really like it but in 4 years it has not come close to making it into my pack. Maybe pick up another base layer and use the chama as your second layer. I've never been comfortable with the zippered shirts as my first layer.

i would add some imodium and pepto or something similar
plus

more duct tape
2 zip ties
a half oz of liquid soap

when you add the rifle and ammo it will be interesting to know the final weight when actually put on a scale. i dont trust advertised weights.

Pretty solid list......

I'd pack a stove during early season. The wood burning stove takes a lot of prep and energy gathering wood and cooking with which is fine during the late season when days are short with plenty of down time. In early Sept though that is just a PITA when the days are long and the nights are short.

I'd throw in whiskey but that's just me :)

I appreciate the advice guys!

The FL gloves are liners for the Talus when its nippy out. As for the Quik Clot, I do have training in the medical field (EMT), but if it still doesn't serve any purpose, I can toss it. I'll take out the Labrador and maybe add a FL Llano base layer?

More duct tape always is good, and you can't go wrong with soap and zip ties :). My rifle set up is a semi custom Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 06.

Whiskey.... check ;-).

rifle hunt

add a zip loc with a piece of cloth that has been soaked in oil and a 3 foot piece of weed eater line. wipe down the rifle each evening and you can cut off a piece of cloth to push through if you need to clean or push out dirt. i tape the muzzle but still .............

i hear it aint fun to be cutting small sticks to fit the bore and push out obstructions.

IMO, you are light for winter and WAY heavy for summer. About right for fall and spring. I'm guessing that after you add food, water and weapon to your weight that it's up about 65lbs. That's doable, but right on the edge for me personally. I notice a HUGE difference between climbing mountains with 50lbs vs 65lbs. Something I noticed is why do you need three ways to clean water? I carry just a Sawyer and I've never had a problem. Also, 2L isn't enough water sometimes. I usually always end up filling up a 32oz Gatorade bottle as well. I would consider 2-2L bladders. What would you do if one of them sprung a leak? One last thing, if you NEED a stove then I imagine that you are probably going to want snow shoes as well?

What's the reason for two pads and a bivy when you are toting the Sawtooth ? Probably could drop the liner also for most trips. I'm suggesting one pad with good insulation .

I also suggest a cooking stove and more moleskin. Like was said earlier , it takes a lot of effort to feed a stove. More water especially if you are going somewhere you haven't been and know where your water is coming from.

Ray, good idea on the 'bore snake', I'll remember that one.

Desertcj, I guess what I'm trying to accomplish with this list is an all around gear list for a first time backpacker/backpack hunter. For clarification, I wouldn't necessarily take all of what's on the list - but I wouldn't be taking (purchasing) more. If that makes sense? As for the two filters, I put in parentheses next to the section title that one would be for summer (Sawyer) and the other for winter (MSR). I forgot to put on the list my Nalgene bottle, would you advice I still bring more water storage capabilities? Regarding the stove, I suppose I don't NEED it, but I'm not shooting for a UL list, I'd like some element of comfort :). But no, it won't be coming with me all 4 seasons, just when it reaches around 40's I suppose? I'll take a Reactor when the stove gets to be cumbersome, and doesn't make sense to haul.

Shrek, the bivy adds no protection from conductive heat loss, right? With that being said, I have read it standard practice to use a cell pad underneath your inflatable pad for full R value of the inflatable, as well as a degree of protection. The bivy just acts as a shell, no?

More mole skin, check! :)

Like I said before guys, this list is more an initial purchase where I won't necessarily use everything on it every trip, but I won't need to bring anything thats not on it. Maybe I'm just weird, lol....

Thanks guys, sure does help!

OK, so this is a shopping list not a packing list. Your pack weight and equipment needs are going to vary significantly from summer to winter. You won't need a wood stove in 40 degree weather if you have decent clothing. Most of the time I don't even put up my tarp in the summer. Personally I don't think a stove is needed until you get into the mid 20's. High 20's is still doable just a little uncomfortable with the proper clothing. Water- Yes, I plan on packing two 3L bladders in the future as well as a Nalgene or Gatorade bottle. Just because you can carry that much water doesn't mean you have to if you know that you can re-fill before you run out. I've come close to running out with just one 3L and the bottle and it sucks. Especially if you don't know how much farther before you find more water.

My XL First Lite Puffy weighs 1lb 5.5oz on my Martha Stewart kitchen scale...this is one item that is in my pack for every trip regardless of season, like a lot of people here, I've pretty much ditched my soft shell.

Essentially, yeah, a shopping list :).

I'll take your advice on the stove, and save it till the 20 degree weather. So a cooking stove will suffice for the rest of the three seasons? As for the water, so you take an extra bladder, just not filled until you need it? There's a lot of water here! But probably a wise decision when trekking unknown territory. Again, I appreciate the help, desertcj. Anything else I should drop or add?

Ill add that weight to the list, Mtnboy.

Thanks

Essentially, yeah, a shopping list :).

I'll take your advice on the stove, and save it till the 20 degree weather. So a cooking stove will suffice for the rest of the three seasons? As for the water, so you take an extra bladder, just not filled until you need it? There's a lot of water here! But probably a wise decision when trekking unknown territory. Again, I appreciate the help, desertcj. Anything else I should drop or add?

Ill add that weight to the list, Mtnboy.

Thanks

Yes on the empty bladder and yes on the cooking stove. I use an MSR whisper lite international and I have used it to warm up my hands or feet in the past. You will find that most guys here prefer the fuel cartridge stoves due to size and weight. There is a time and place for both IMO. I like being able to burn gas, diesel or white gas and I doubt that my 20oz fuel bottle takes up more room than 4 fuel canisters. 20oz of fuel is enough for about 10 days for me. I am going down to the 11oz canister to shed some weight.

A quality pad will provide all the insulation you need and a few extra ounces of down beats the heck out of 27 ounces of bivy sack. Keep the patch kit with you for the pad it weighs an ounce maybe. I have a Sawtooth and conditions would have to be severe for condensation to become an issue. The sides are steep so much of it runs down the side as it builds up. This fall on the evening of the opener it was upper thirties and pouring rain at 7900' for four or five hours and I had a handful of small drops on my bag and exactly two hit my face that I was awake for. If there were others they weren't enough to wake me. When it pick a spot to set up the tent I get down and feel the area I intend the pad to go and remove anything I think might damage the pad and if I can't remove it I move on or cover it. I used pine needles to cover small pointy gravel in one location just to be sure. Also , bivy sacks can have their own condensation problems. I've camped in the CDA NF and you don't have to look hard to find a campsite with thick grass or pine litter to place your pad on. Look at an exped pad and add a snozzle bag to blow it up and ditch the pillow. Stuff you puffy , rain gear , and the clothes you take off into the snozzle bag or the dry sack you should have your Quilt or bag in and you have your pillow.

Oh , I'd bet you are not that cold of a sleeper but and owner of crappy sleeping bags. I thought I was a cold sleeper until I bought my WM Kodiak. I bought more bag by far due to my experiences with crappy sleeping bags . I'm going to buy a 25º rated WM bag so I don't roast again next fall. I didn't have a great experience with the EE Quilt but it may have been that it was an early synthetic model. Some people I have confidence in are reporting that they love their down Quilts so my experience may have been an aberration.

My experience is different with the air pads. I live up here near you and have had one pop on me before in the middle of the night from rocks or huckleberry bush bases) when I didn't carry my foam pad, and it is a pain in the ass to patch an air pad at night when you are cold and sitting on frosty ground. I almost always carry a shorty thermarest ridge rest which usually goes under my air pad from head to hips, for extra protection of the air pad and safety more than R value (although I have noticed the foam pad placed on top of my air pad when camping on snow does seem to help with warmth). I carry this foam pad on the outside of my pack in my Grabit also, so I can easily slide it out to sit on, anytime I want to sit on cold or wet ground for a while, while hunting/glassing/etc. I will still go without a foam pad in the summer while backpacking, but not from mid-Sept on in the high country.

I don't carry a stove for 3 days or less trips, but nothing beats a canister stove that I have seen for quick easy meal cooking in the dark when you are cold and tired after hiking all day. It takes less than 15-30 seconds to get going, and you have hot water in a few minutes later. One small canister fits in my light weight titanium pot and lasts me cooking 1-2 x's per day longer than I ever get a chance to hunt (i.e. 7-10 days). My stove is cheap and not the most effecient apparently, but very dependable and effiecient enough (a pocket rocket that I have seen on sale new for $25 this holiday season). A small canister weighs 8 oz I think and the larger ones weigh 13 oz I think. I only take the larger one if two of us are going out hunting for an extended trip. My Ti pot and stove weigh less than 5 oz I think (I use a homemade foil type lid from those disposable roasting pans and that weighs nothing).

Back