First Lite 2A and Conservation Stances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

WKR
I have a few pieces of First Lite’s Merino. I really would like whatever company I buy from to reflect my Values, that being said I realize some of the Country Acts I like have differing view points than I do. I really like the stuff. What concerns me is some of the press of them being Bought by the Chernin Group.
1. Is this a huge Deal?

2. Steve and Meat Eater seem to still be an awesome proponent for hunting.

Thanks In advance

bsnedeker

WKR
Bottom line, if you are buying from any MeatEater brand, you are putting money in the coffers of a rabid anti-2A group/individual.

Other than Steve most of the current ME crew seems like a bunch of lefties to me. Haven't followed them in a couple of years because I was sick of it.

Mmmmm. If you trace the equity ownership of just about any Compnay, you are likely to find that they are owned at least in part by someone who doesn’t share your values. By all means, vote with your dollars as you see fit but if you really dig in you are going to have a hard time buying not only hunting gear, but trucks, clothes, food, etc.

Mmmmm. If you trace the equity ownership of just about any Compnay, you are likely to find that they are owned at least in part by someone who doesn’t share your values. By all means, vote with your dollars as you see fit but if you really dig in you are going to have a hard time buying not only hunting gear, but trucks, clothes, food, etc.

Yep. And before you know it, you'll be spinning your own yarn from sheep you've raised and sheared yourself along with everything else you're going to have to make yourself.

bsnedeker

WKR
Looks like gen 1 of the Origin camo is up for pre-order. I might pull the trigger on some of the wool. I think we know where a former Navy Seal stands on 2A.
Agreed! As much as some like to pretend it's impossible to find companies that align with your beliefs we all know the reality is that in the hunting space we do have options. Might not be the case with everything, but if I have the option I'm going with a USA Made product from a company that believes in freedom.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
Looks like gen 1 of the Origin camo is up for pre-order. I might pull the trigger on some of the wool. I think we know where a former Navy Seal stands on 2A.
I have zero desire to put a dollar in cam Hanes pocket to help support his expensive glamping elk hunts.

As others have said, look into anything long enough and you’ll probably find something you don’t like

SDHNTR

WKR
Bottom line, if you are buying from any MeatEater brand, you are putting money in the coffers of a rabid anti-2A group/individual.

Other than Steve most of the current ME crew seems like a bunch of lefties to me. Haven't followed them in a couple of years because I was sick of it.
Rabid anti 2a? Give me a break! They hunt, they use guns, you really think the Meateater crew are rabid antis and a bunch of “lefties”? Wow. Just because someone maintains a more moderate viewpoint (frankly, this is exactly what this country needs more of) on a hot button issue, it doesn’t make them a rabid anti or leftist! 2a/gun control is not an all or nothing matter. It’s deeply nuanced. It’s ok for someone to see a little bit of both sides! You don’t need to be afraid of practical thinking moderates and brand them as rabid enemies.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
Rabid anti 2a? Give me a break! They hunt, they use guns, you really think the Meateater crew are rabid antis and a bunch of “lefties”? Wow. Just because someone maintains a more moderate viewpoint (frankly, this is exactly what this country needs more of) on a hot button issue, it doesn’t make them a rabid anti or leftist! 2a/gun control is not an all or nothing matter. It’s deeply nuanced. It’s ok for someone to see a little bit of both sides! You don’t need to be afraid of practical thinking moderates and brand them as rabid enemies.
I said nothing of the sort. Chernin is rabidly anti-2A. I said the rest of the ME crew "seems like a bunch of lefties to me", which is my opinion. But the anti-2a comment was directed at Chernin group....which owns ME, which is where you money is going when you spend money with them.

ianpadron

WKR
Using the word "nuance" while defending the ME crew was a nice touch.

Yoder

WKR
I have zero desire to put a dollar in cam Hanes pocket to help support his expensive glamping elk hunts.

As others have said, look into anything long enough and you’ll probably find something you don’t like
I would much rather give it to a company that uses Chinese slaves and charges $600 for a jacket and uses a catchy American name to pimp out their goods (Sitka, First Lite, Vortex) . It's not about Cam Haines, it's about the hundreds of Americans Origin employs. I don't get the Cam hate either. Hard working, successful guy that busted his ass and earned everything he has. True American dream story. Same with Jocko and Pete Roberts. I know they hunt private ranches but they own up to it and you would too if you had the cash. Cam has killed a ton of animals on public land by himself. I don't think he has anything to prove.

SDHNTR

WKR
I would much rather give it to a company that uses Chinese slaves and charges $600 for a jacket and uses a catchy American name to pimp out their goods (Sitka, First Lite, Vortex) . It's not about Cam Haines, it's about the hundreds of Americans Origin employs. I don't get the Cam hate either. Hard working, successful guy that busted his ass and earned everything he has. True American dream story. Same with Jocko and Pete Roberts. I know they hunt private ranches but they own up to it and you would too if you had the cash. Cam has killed a ton of animals on public land by himself. I don't think he has anything to prove.
Someone who has achieved the “true American Dream” as you put it, is not one who achieved fame as a result of self promotion.

A true American dream is achieved by founding a successful business that produces goods and services that create value for society. JMHO. Can Hanes creates value for Cam Hanes.

Yoder

WKR
Someone who has achieved the “true American Dream” as you put it, is not one who achieved fame as a result of self promotion.

A true American dream is achieved by founding a successful business that produces goods and services that create value for society. JMHO. Can Hanes creates value for Cam Hanes.
My idea of the American dream is coming from nothing, working hard, making a good living and providing for your family. He's famous only because he's successful and inspiring. If he sucked at hunting, was fat and sat on the couch all day nobody would care. He managed to make a living doing the one thing he loves more than anything. If that's not the American dream, I don't know what is.

TheTone

WKR
I can agree with some of that, but Cam still pushes the hardcore backcountry badass narrative and yet I don’t think he has killed an elk without someone holding his hand in over a decade. His job is self promotion to keep his gravy train rolling

I think it’s great what Pete is trying to do with origin, I just don’t get peoples love of Cam

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
The fact that they run articles on their website complaining about how white hunting is tells me enough about the type of people they are.

The Chernin Group is not a political movement.

They are investors. They invest in places they see a chance for higher than average returns per dollar investment.

If a hunting equipment company isn't pro hunting enough for you, I don't know what to say.

If you buy anything from any publicly owned company, you're giving money to "rabidly anti hunting/2a" people.

This is cancel culture gone crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.