First Lite help

Cb750

FNG
Why did it take me so long to join this forum?? Wow. This thread is basically my inner thoughts over what piece I am going to add this year.

Does anyone choose Sitka over Kuiu for outerwear/insulation or foul weather?

I'm just beginning to build my hunting kit, and it's obvious most prefer FL for the base layers... but what base layer pieces do yall get? Just a set of the Wick top and bottom, or mid/heavy weight pieces also?

Cb750

FNG
I'm starting out picking stuff up, so take that into consideration when compared to what others may say. I live in southern Ontario so hunts can be from the 70's farenheit for late turkey but more typically 60's and down to the teens. I have the kiln top and am pretty happy with it. I wear it on pretty much every hunt. I am looking at the kiln full length zip off pants this year. I normally prefer not to have too many pieces and am leaning more toward adding a heavy furnace layer before the lighter wick layer. That's just my 2 cents

Perhaps I should add I've got lost of years in the outdoors but am just starting to spend money on non issued gear.

Davem6869

FNG
Just to throw it out there. Check out SKRE gear. Their quality is on point and will pay to ship it back to make sure you get the right size. No one else will do that, I tried Firstlite and liked some of their stuff but made the switch over to SKRE and have not looked back. I own most of their stuff so if you have questions please feel free to reach out. [email protected] and on IG

I have not had an issue with Kuiu sizing yet but I don’t have a ton of clothing from them. I have two pair of attack pants and a pair of tiburon pants and like all of them. I also have some base layers from Kuiu and really like those as well.

From first lite I have socks, underwear and wick short sleeve shirt. I like the sock ok, better than a lot but I have some darn tough socks and like those better. Underwear is great. I like the shirt a lot as well, it is almost identical in my opinion to the Kuiu ultra merino 125 crew which I have and like. I would like to try some more of the FL base layers but I have several from Kuiu and don’t need anything new right now. I did go with the uncompahgre puffy from first lite but have not had a chance to test it out yet, out of the box seems good but that doesn’t mean anything really.

From Sitka I have the jet stream jacket and it is great and very versatile in my opinion. Useable in large range of temperatures due to the wind stopper and vents. It won’t soak thru from early morning dew or very light rain. Vents and breathes ok.

I just go with the best gear I can get in my budget at the time, I check the forums and reviews and best of all people that I know that have personally used it. So many times stuff just gets repeated on these forums and people don’t have any actual experience. I’ve been guilty of it too but I make sure if I’m giving second hand knowledge that I state that very plainly.

Does anyone choose Sitka over Kuiu for outerwear/insulation or foul weather?

I'm just beginning to build my hunting kit, and it's obvious most prefer FL for the base layers... but what base layer pieces do yall get? Just a set of the Wick top and bottom, or mid/heavy weight pieces also?
I don’t know what kind of weather conditions that you are hunting in but I prefer the light-mid base layers for what I do, October in Colorado sitting and glassing and on the move. Sitting in Texas all deer season. I have the Kuiu ultra merino 145, I’m not sure if that is equivalent to the fuse or wick from FL. When it gets warmer during the day I just wear the top as an outer layer shirt. So I guess I prefer the lighter base layers down in the the mid to high teens temperature range. If I was spending much time in anything colder than that I would probably own some heavier base layers, I think.

Superdoo

WKR
I have a 31 inch waist and need about a 35" inseam. FL Corrugates in a medium tall fit me nearly perfect. I wore them out in the 80's last week. Yes, they were warmer than my Eddie Bauer stretch nylon pants. Were they extremely warmer no. They crazy comfortable and the pockets are great.
I ordered a pair of Kuiu Attacks last year on the after season sale. I ordered the closest thing they offer to what I need. They showed up and were super short in the legs, I could barely get the waist buttoned and my thighs were in a vise. I was stunned. Oh, and the fly was about 2 inches long. Really only useful after sitting in cold water for an hour, if you know what I mean. ;)
I emailed customer service asking if this was a fluke and gave them my measurements to see if they could recommend a different size.
Their response 4 days later was, "Just size up."
For expensive pants that cost an additional $10 every time I have to return them because of the Chinese "inches" on the tape measure that their factory workers use , I told them to F off.
A buddy of mine just ordered the Kuiu bino harness. It showed up 3 weeks later only to be the wrong size and have a tear in the side of it!
I know a lot of guys on here have had great luck with them, but I have way too many other places to spend my money.

I have a 31 inch waist and need about a 35" inseam. FL Corrugates in a medium tall fit me nearly perfect. I wore them out in the 80's last week. Yes, they were warmer than my Eddie Bauer stretch nylon pants. Were they extremely warmer no. They crazy comfortable and the pockets are great.
I ordered a pair of Kuiu Attacks last year on the after season sale. I ordered the closest thing they offer to what I need. They showed up and were super short in the legs, I could barely get the waist buttoned and my thighs were in a vise. I was stunned. Oh, and the fly was about 2 inches long. Really only useful after sitting in cold water for an hour, if you know what I mean. ;)
I emailed customer service asking if this was a fluke and gave them my measurements to see if they could recommend a different size.
Their response 4 days later was, "Just size up."
For expensive pants that cost an additional $10 every time I have to return them because of the Chinese "inches" on the tape measure that their factory workers use , I told them to F off.
A buddy of mine just ordered the Kuiu bino harness. It showed up 3 weeks later only to be the wrong size and have a tear in the side of it!
I know a lot of guys on here have had great luck with them, but I have way too many other places to spend my money.

Hmm, you know what’s funny you complaining about a Chinese tape measure and out of curiosity I just looked at all my gear. None of my Kuiu gear is even made in China. Pants made in Ethiopia and Vietnam. Gloves made in Sri Lanka and base layers made in Vietnam. Guess which of my other gear is made in China? All my Sitka and first lite gear.

Now maybe because Kuiu seems like they source their products from multiple places there is some inconsistency but for me that has not been the case Fit has always been good when I ordered the correct size based off of their recommendation and what other people have said if needed to size up or not.

Reactions: j33

Superdoo

WKR
Hmm, you know what’s funny you complaining about a Chinese tape measure and out of curiosity I just looked at all my gear. None of my Kuiu gear is even made in China. Pants made in Ethiopia and Vietnam. Gloves made in Sri Lanka and base layers made in Vietnam. Guess which of my other gear is made in China? All my Sitka and first lite gear.

Now maybe because Kuiu seems like they source their products from multiple places there is some inconsistency but for me that has not been the case Fit has always been good when I ordered the correct size based off of their recommendation and what other people have said if needed to size up or not.

I know that most all apparel companies are not made in the US and I'm fine with that. I do have a problem with their inability to effectively use a tape measure (regardless of where the tape measure is made)!
And you know what I could get past the issue above if their customer service acted like they give a crap about a new customer's first time purchase.

No need to go all fanboy defense because I shared a bad experience. If their stuff works for you great. Keep buying it.

I know that most all apparel companies are not made in the US and I'm fine with that. I do have a problem with their inability to effectively use a tape measure (regardless of where the tape measure is made)!
And you know what I could get past the issue above if their customer service acted like they give a crap about a new customer's first time purchase.

No need to go all fanboy defense because I shared a bad experience. If their stuff works for you great. Keep buying it.
Lol, you’re the one that was trying to bash a company because of where it’s made and they are one of the big ones that aren’t made in China, at least the pieces I have. Which honestly I don’t really care where it is made, I would rather buy IS when I have a choice but when no equivalent choice I don’t look into it too much.

Obviously no fanboy, other wise I wouldn’t own other branded gear and recommend other gear. I own more Kuiu only because I started with them first.

You are not the only person that I have heard similar complaints from on sizing, maybe I’m just lucky but I am very careful when ordering sizes and each company I order from I take my measurements based on the company’s suggestion, look at others suggestions and the companies recommendation on sizing.