Mid-Season Whitetail Outerlayer

bigbahksdude

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the short version: I’m trying to find the best outer layer for whitetail hunting that’s out there - specifically for the mid-season temps. I spend most of my time sitting still in my saddle, tree stand, or on the ground in PA and NY.

Long version: After freezing my butt off from early/mid-November to early December last season I’m searching for the best white tail jacket I can afford. I’ve got a good early season kit consisting of FL obsidian pants and a catalyst jacket with good merino base layers. And I’ve got a solid late season UA Primaloft jacket and bib kit that I got for a steal back in 2017. I’ve found that with the right layering my early season stuff can get me through temps in the 50s. But if the wind picks up at all I get chilled out after a few hours. My only move after that is to reach for my late season kit which is too bulky and warm for anything over 20°.

Has anyone found anything to split the difference here? I’ve been looking at FL Solitude, Kuiu Proximty, and Sitka Fanatic. All three are pricey and people seem to have found a way to complain about aspects of each. I read that the FL and Kuiu jackets let in too much wind, and that the Fanatic is overpriced and has a worse layout. Any insights are appreciated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe add a wind blocking layer and see if that bridges the gap. Single piece would the most economical fix too.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I hunt NY and PA.

one of my favorite overall pieces is the Sitka traverse. It is a Sherpa lined top, warm, blocks some wind. I wear mine from 60 to about freezing, especially when I am moving around more on a hunt.

for colder temps, I have a set of FL solitudes I bought a couple of years before they started making them wind resistant. I like them As a stand/blind set up. I stay warm in mine to about 30*. I have to layer them up but have been fairly comfortable in colder temps down to 10-15* but it takes some layers underneath - fleece, puffy, etc - and some hand warmers.

the fanatic gets high marks from just about everyone I know but they are spendy. If I started stand hunting more, I would probably get a set of them.

I recommend a Sitka Stratus Jacket coupled with a Fanatic vest.

You get a wind proof outer shell in the Stratus and then gain the extra warmth of the Fanatic that also has the invaluable hand muff. Once you have the hand muff you will never be able to go without for mid to late season hunting.

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka stratus with a puffy vest or jacket underneath. I’ve used it with the first lite cirrus, uncompadre vest or kelvin lite jacket at different times and temperatures. Super versatile and you can use whatever puffy you already have, camo or not.

OP
bigbahksdude

bigbahksdude

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe add a wind blocking layer and see if that bridges the gap. Single piece would the most economical fix too.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Do you have a wind blocking layer to recommend? I had that thought as well, but can’t find a quiet windproof mid-layer that gets unanimously good reviews! Hence the jacket search.

Madstop14

FNG
I second the Stratus. Get a set that's slightly on the big side and add in a good mid layer. I hunt the same areas and in the same manner as you and the Fanatic set is a little too bulky in my opinion. Its great for sitting in a stand but I have to pack it in. If I'm mobile at all, I reach for the Stratus.

stump06

WKR
I hunt in Ga so the temps are not as bad as what you have but for insulation I find myself grabbing the Kenai jacket from Kuiu a lot. It does not have wind blocking so I usually have a vest or shell if wind is an issue. I have the vellus jacket from Kryptek and its windproof and has a suede type material on the outside. I only wear it in our late season as that's the only time temps are cold enough. The Vellus sounds close to what your are looking for. I got it off camofire as a good discount. If you have a layer to cut the wind and a insulating layer, that makes a huge difference in warmth

TN2shot07

WKR
Stratus/jet stream is a good option with something layered underneath.

I used a Celsius midi and my catalyst all last season. I have a solitude set that never got any use last year after I changed it up.

Pizza Guy

FNG
I also hunt NY. The Fanatic is too warm and bulky for the conditions you described. If you don't have a vest I would definitely get one. Some have mentioned one paired with the Stratus, that's a great option. You have so much more freedom of movement with a vest on. For the jackets you mentioned, I have both the Solitude(the older version) and the Proximity. The Solitude is a bigger fit than the Proximity in the same size. I like the Proximity more for bow hunting as it's lighter and more streamlined. I also have the Wind Pro Fleece from Kuiu. I too have read complaints about them not being wind resistant here but in my experience they have been fantastic. Most of time last mid-season I would just wear a base layer, a Wind Pro Fleece, and Kenai vest. My Proximity will fit over these if needed. There's a lot of good vests but the Kenai is super packable and compacts down to nothing in my pack. I addition to having treestands already in place, I also do the hang and hunts.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Dmbjr

FNG
Here’s the short version: I’m trying to find the best outer layer for whitetail hunting that’s out there - specifically for the mid-season temps. I spend most of my time sitting still in my saddle, tree stand, or on the ground in PA and NY.

Long version: After freezing my butt off from early/mid-November to early December last season I’m searching for the best white tail jacket I can afford. I’ve got a good early season kit consisting of FL obsidian pants and a catalyst jacket with good merino base layers. And I’ve got a solid late season UA Primaloft jacket and bib kit that I got for a steal back in 2017. I’ve found that with the right layering my early season stuff can get me through temps in the 50s. But if the wind picks up at all I get chilled out after a few hours. My only move after that is to reach for my late season kit which is too bulky and warm for anything over 20°.

Has anyone found anything to split the difference here? I’ve been looking at FL Solitude, Kuiu Proximty, and Sitka Fanatic. All three are pricey and people seem to have found a way to complain about aspects of each. I read that the FL and Kuiu jackets let in too much wind, and that the Fanatic is overpriced and has a worse layout. Any insights are appreciated.
Is the stand master parka still made. If so I loved mine.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
Came here to recommend the stratus or fanatic as well, get a size larger to put a puffy or thick layer underneath the stratus. I saddle hunt in MN. I usually break out the fanatic jacket at 25ish degrees, but that's because I'm too lazy to layer under my stratus.

Edit: I've had a lot of different FL jackets, and they haven't dialed in their windproof technology yet, even in the Sanctuary 2.0.

If I was buying fresh and didn't have any other pieces, I would get the Code of Silence Zone7 versa hoody and bibs. No insulation, but made with wool and Berber fleece so it's definitely warm and holds heat. It's fully windproof. I bought one and currently have it up for sale. Would be the best mid season, reasonably priced pieces available. You could get the jacket and bibs for the price of one stratus piece.

R_burg

WKR
I also hunt NY. The Fanatic is too warm and bulky for the conditions you described. If you don't have a vest I would definitely get one. Some have mentioned one paired with the Stratus, that's a great option. You have so much more freedom of movement with a vest on. For the jackets you mentioned, I have both the Solitude(the older version) and the Proximity. The Solitude is a bigger fit than the Proximity in the same size. I like the Proximity more for bow hunting as it's lighter and more streamlined. I also have the Wind Pro Fleece from Kuiu. I too have read complaints about them not being wind resistant here but in my experience they have been fantastic. Most of time last mid-season I would just wear a base layer, a Wind Pro Fleece, and Kenai vest. My Proximity will fit over these if needed. There's a lot of good vests but the Kenai is super packable and compacts down to nothing in my pack. I addition to having treestands already in place, I also do the hang and hunts.

This. You will be roasting in a Fanatic IMO. I've used one once.

I use a quiet wind resistant layer plus mid layers for this type of hunting. It works great. I have been doing this for probably 15 years, and I go home to bowhunt NY almost every year, and occasionally hunt MN or WI as well.

I bought a Jetstream but I don't like it. Stratus is even bulkier, so def a no go from me. I bought a Mountain Jacket to try this year (older version, I dont want a hood when bowhunting). Should work well, I used something like this for years, it just wasn't a hunting brand.

This type of layering system is the best IMO. Versatility is the name of the game. It could be 10 or it could be 55 during the best time to be in the woods sitting in a treestand. Use a wind resistant camo outer layer of your choice and layer based on the temp. Puffy over a mid layer + base layer when its really cold. Light base layer and light mid when its warm. Base layer + midweight shirt/fleece or an active midlayer when its in that middle zone. A midweight synthetic that is made to mimic down should also be great for 20 - 40, depending what else you layer.

Last edited: