First Lite or Stone Glacier base layer/long johns?

Vernon

FNG
I read Jake Potter's review and it's awesome and has me leaning towards Stone Glacier, HOWEVER, prior to his review the majority consensus was FL base layer was the way to go. So just curious on any more up to date opinions/suggestions.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Stone Glacier makes great products. But to me, Aerowool is still the better choice. It's a 65/35 blend of Merino/Nylon. It will dry faster and be more durable. The only exception to that is if you are hunting in mostly hot weather where pure Merino really shines.

Aerowool is also the only blend that hasn't' caught the funk on extended hunts. I only bring one baselayer for one day or ten, choose wisely. :)

K_pem

WKR
I would say it depends on what pants your running and what base layer you're referring to. For me, I always rock the FL aerowool as next to skin no matter what, its the best i have ever had hands on. I wear a tee or LS and boxers (either brief or thigh length depending on season) and then layer my SG helio bottoms over them (i suppose if it was really cold, i would roll with my aerowool 3/4 length bottoms under). Now the caveat is that i am wearing SG pants with the full length zips, thats really why i choose to wear SG helio bottoms, so that i can take advantage of the zipper vent system all the way down to skin level.

That being said, I have not tried the SG Chinook layers and im really in no hurry to as the aerowool is hard to beat.

If i weren't wearing SG pants, I would probably choose a aerowool wick boxer and the Kuiu Peloton 97 zip off bottoms as they're amazingly warm for the weight. Unless there was a high unlikely hood of my zipping them off, then id probably go Fuse bottoms.

Hope that didn't make this more confusing for you.

Never owned SG but had Kuiu from when he first opened but switched all my base layers to FL the wool is unreal comfy and the aerosol is m fav comfy and breathes

I picked up the new chinook merino hoody with the 1/2 zip. Compared to my first lite wick layers, its not as comfy. But it feels better next to skin then any Kuiu, black ovis, or Sitka wool I’ve tried in the past. I’d rank it as followed.

1. FL
2. SG
3. Kuiu

Now FL just needs to add a quarter or half zip to their wick hoodie and they will have all my money.

Drenalin

WKR
For me, First Lite has the softer feel against skin but I prefer the 170g weight of the SG. Minus33 feels better than either one of them and also offers 170g (as well as some 145g stuff).

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I picked up the new chinook merino hoody with the 1/2 zip. Compared to my first lite wick layers, its not as comfy. But it feels better next to skin then any Kuiu, black ovis, or Sitka wool I’ve tried in the past. I’d rank it as followed.

1. FL
2. SG
3. Kuiu

Now FL just needs to add a quarter or half zip to their wick hoodie and they will have all my money.

I have used all of these and came to the same conclusion. I really liked the SG merino - but for me, the stretch and softness of the FL wick stuff was top notch - I like being able to push my sleeves up a lot and couldn’t really do that easily with the chinook top. I would rank the SG chinook stuff above the older aerowool line, before they redid it though.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the FL or SG merino.

jd1006

WKR
I have pieces of most, I have to manage stink and it seems the higher % of merino is what matters the most, up to a point.

I just got a pair of the SG boxers, so I’ll reserve making bold claims until I have used them a lot. For a higher % of merino (considerably higher than FL) they are soft and comfortable. I’m curious how durability is, but the heavier weight should help. That said, the heavier weight is going to absorb more moisture and not dry as fast. So, if I’m in a warmer weather environment, I’m using the Sitka Lightweight Merino boxers. Nothing has come close to those, for me.

FL Merino tops are very comfortable, but that lower % of merino is what I can’t deal with due to the stink, so I’m usually in Kuiu’s Nuyarn. Also, FL doesn’t have a zip on their lightweight hoody which is a complete non-start for me.

I have pieces of most, I have to manage stink and it seems the higher % of merino is what matters the most, up to a point.

I just got a pair of the SG boxers, so I’ll reserve making bold claims until I have used them a lot. For a higher % of merino (considerably higher than FL) they are soft and comfortable. I’m curious how durability is, but the heavier weight should help. That said, the heavier weight is going to absorb more moisture and not dry as fast. So, if I’m in a warmer weather environment, I’m using the Sitka Lightweight Merino boxers. Nothing has come close to those, for me.

FL Merino tops are very comfortable, but that lower % of merino is what I can’t deal with due to the stink, so I’m usually in Kuiu’s Nuyarn. Also, FL doesn’t have a zip on their lightweight hoody which is a complete non-start for me.
Agreed on the need for a 1/4 zip on the FL wick. It’s kinda dumb they didn’t think of that.

Kitten

FNG
I do a lot of hiking in the first lite wick long sleeve and even when it gets wet, it holds my body heat well. Same with the kiln long sleeve, but sometime I get too hot in that one. In the summer, i'll set it up in the sun after it gets soaked through with sweat, and it dries fast. I don't have any experience with the SG lineup, but have loved the first lite stuff. Would like to try their long johns. The reviews of the briefs have a lot of comments about riding up and that has me worried about trying those. I don't know if you care, but the first lite shirts also get pilled very easy and fast. I haven't been bothered by it.

Lobo525

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have used all of these and came to the same conclusion. I really liked the SG merino - but for me, the stretch and softness of the FL wick stuff was top notch - I like being able to push my sleeves up a lot and couldn’t really do that easily with the chinook top. I would rank the SG chinook stuff above the older aerowool line, before they redid it though.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the FL or SG merino.

I'm looking to get the FL wick hoody or the SG Chinook hoody as a hot/dry weather (80⁰+ F) baselayer. In your experience is the 170 GSM of the Chinook too heavy for the warmer weather, compared to something lighter like the Wick? or is the difference in weight negligible in the heat?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm looking to get the FL wick hoody or the SG Chinook hoody as a hot/dry weather (80⁰+ F) baselayer. In your experience is the 170 GSM of the Chinook too heavy for the warmer weather, compared to something lighter like the Wick? or is the difference in weight negligible in the heat?

They are really close in terms of thickness….I would not call the chinook too heavy for warm weather, although the meshed cut sides of the wick do help with airflow. I would agree the difference in weight is negligible. I found the wick to be a little better for me in warmer weather.

jd1006

WKR
I’d disagree with the love for FL baselayers. The blend they use on the lightweight stuff isn’t durable nor does it outperform. I think the Kiln and Furnace are great layers for what they are intended.

I’m a huge fan of the Merino6 blend SG is using. I’ve had the boxers now for about 3 months and I have used them a lot, hiked quite a bit. They dry fast enough, but they are still merino so they won’t dry faster than poly. They are the sweet spot for me and still look brand new. I’ve found that I notice stink when the merino % dips below 80. SG is a 90/10, Sitka uses an 85/15. 100% merino isn’t durable. Kuiu’s nuyarn is 92ish.

j33

WKR
I’d disagree with the love for FL baselayers. The blend they use on the lightweight stuff isn’t durable nor does it outperform. I think the Kiln and Furnace are great layers for what they are intended.

I’m a huge fan of the Merino6 blend SG is using. I’ve had the boxers now for about 3 months and I have used them a lot, hiked quite a bit. They dry fast enough, but they are still merino so they won’t dry faster than poly. They are the sweet spot for me and still look brand new. I’ve found that I notice stink when the merino % dips below 80. SG is a 90/10, Sitka uses an 85/15. 100% merino isn’t durable. Kuiu’s nuyarn is 92ish.

I’ve found my Kuiu 125 merino shirt (85% Merino) stinks quicker than my First Lite Wick shirt. Wick seems to dry faster than the Kuiu.

Kuiu also stretches over a few days and isn’t as soft, never would I buy Kuiu merino again. Black Ovis is cheaper and just as good and even doesn’t stretch as quick, seems more durable too.

No experience with SG.

Not to throw a wrench in here - but are you looking for pure Merino or mixed @Vernon ?
I've been really happy with my BlackOvis Merino as well. I'd love to get some of the new SG gear and wanted to try FL and Kuiu but as I was on a budget I started with BlackOvis off Camofire. Have been really impressed with it - using it for Alaska Spring Blackbear, once on October Sheep, several September Moose and Winter Caribou. I'll get more use out of it this year hopefully as I'm planning more days in the field in 2022 then previous years (hit an anniversary at work so got another week of PTO!).
I've heard great things about FL but have a couple concerns and like some of the other brands better. I have heard they are all great though. Let us know what you decide and try out!

Twodog

FNG
I have multiple sets of the first lite, aerowool boxers, fuse bottoms and tops, kiln bottoms and tops. worn all for multiple days and never got the nasty dick and onions funky smell. same with all the first lite socks I own.