Stone Glacier Sky Solus 1P Double Review ***Updated 2/22/23***

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Over the course of this winter, I’ll be putting the Stone Glacier Sky Solus 1P tent through its paces. Stone Glacier graciously offered this bomber 1 person tent up for a winter review.

I’ll primarily be using this tent for overnight predator hunting trips. However, I did get to knock the shiny off of it on a recent trip into PWS.

My initial impressions of this tent is that it has a very compact footprint and highly modular. It can be pitched in a multitude of configurations and even pitched with the fly left attached to the body as an option.

***Update 2/22/23*** @HuntWyld just finished his review of the Sky Solus 1P.
Stone Glacier Sky Solus 1P Tent Review

And check out my final review.

All the specs can be found below:

We got into the cove fairly late in the evening and I didn’t do a great job of staking the tent out. My laziness had me assuming I’d wake up with a condensation/frost nightmare which amazingly didn’t come to fruition. I did not use the footprint and still woke up with a dry floor which was quite shocking given the conditions.

4b9d1d0ea5dee72b36e856ccf38568e9.jpg

Maybe not the handiest opening for high rain environments but I was able to sit in my sleeping bag while I heated water and ate breakfast in the morning. The side openings to access the vestibules take a minute to get used to but there’s loads of room for one person and their gear. All the junk in this picture was inside the tent with me and room to spare. Aubrey and I will likely use this tent as a two person shelter in the future.

efd7f1d3ad6d6e80f943bd52772fdee4.jpg

If you have questions or input, feel free to chime in

Last edited by a moderator:
I was dead set on a Hilleberg niak, then I stumbled across this tent. Interested to see the review on it.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Continuing to push this little bomb shelter through the winter. In a perfect scenario I would have had several tents used simultaneously for a direct comparison with equal conditions but this is the least frost I’ve ever seen inside a tent used in these types of temperatures.

d810722375f6681a59d257a5af5b09b1.jpg

I’m 6’2” and the tent works better if I sleep diagonally due to its internal length. While it seemed odd at first, it didn’t bother me after using it that way. Used here with a Sea to Summit insulated pad and a Marmot CWM -40* bag I slept very comfortably with winds nearing 30mph and temps well below zero.

cd77ccdc931a86e6ec4e302fd6e0b441.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you missing having a front vestibule? I know the sides are supposed to hold a lot but just curious
Short answer, yes.

In wet climates I’m reluctant to say this tent would work well. Putting muddy boots through the side openings or leaving them inside the foot of the tent is a no go for me.

Longer answer, no.

In cold/dry climates my boots being dirty isn’t a concern. I really like the side openings but I’d prefer them to be zippered or a zipperless system like a SO tent. The drawstring setup takes some getting used to. I can sit up in this tent pretty easily which I love. Cooking out the front door while still sitting in my bag is a real treat

The tiny footprint and ability to collapse a side vestibule to get close to a wall is very handy for a few places I roam.

sr80

WKR
Short answer, yes.

In wet climates I’m reluctant to say this tent would work well. Putting muddy boots through the side openings or leaving them inside the foot of the tent is a no go for me.

Longer answer, no.

In cold/dry climates my boots being dirty isn’t a concern. I really like the side openings but I’d prefer them to be zippered or a zipperless system like a SO tent. The drawstring setup takes some getting used to. I can sit up in this tent pretty easily which I love. Cooking out the front door while still sitting in my bag is a real treat

The tiny footprint and ability to collapse a side vestibule to get close to a wall is very handy for a few places I roam.
yeah i kinda thought the same. Having to transfer everything from the front door and through the side kind of looks like it could make a mess of the inside of the tent, ei muddy boots. Its also nice to open the tent and cook in a vestibule , and if weather isn't good to keep the vesti closed. I don't imagine a guy would want to cook in the side vestibules hey?

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah i kinda thought the same. Having to transfer everything from the front door and through the side kind of looks like it could make a mess of the inside of the tent, ei muddy boots. Its also nice to open the tent and cook in a vestibule , and if weather isn't good to keep the vesti closed. I don't imagine a guy would want to cook in the side vestibules hey?
Sorry just now seeing this. I suppose a person could try to cook in the side vesti but I don’t believe I’d try it personally. Not a lot of extra oxygen volume in this little shelter and no real way to vent the sides from inside the tent.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best way I describe this tent is that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea but for the right situation, I don’t believe you’ll be able to beat it.

The old bibler style tents have stood the test of time for a reason. They’re absolutely bomber and you can nearly get them pitched on the tailgate of your truck. This is a bibler “platinum edition”.

Thanks for the great review. I was really interested in this tent. After running a cimmaron and stove, it just was not for me not being able to sit up was the main complaint and I hated setting the stove up so I usually did not run it. Not being able to cook in this one really stinks, are you able to cook in the larger Skyscraper 2person?

RCB

WKR
In case it wasn’t already mentioned, wanted to point out that a lot of stone glacier tents seem to be mostly rebrandings of Slingfin tents. This one looks a lot to me like the Slingfin Hotbox though I’m sure there are some differences. https://www.slingfin.com/collections/all-tents/products/hotbox

Nothing wrong with that, and I don’t mean it as a criticism. And hey, this is apparently going for $100 less than the hotbox. Just pointing it out so folks know that there are very similar options in case they have difficulty finding one or the other, etc

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to it. Would you agree, a taller guy might be suited for a longer tent than the SG? This tent has been a potential for me, but I’m a taller guy and use a 6’6” bag

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to it. Would you agree, a taller guy might be suited for a longer tent than the SG? This tent has been a potential for me, but I’m a taller guy and use a 6’6” bag

Not the tent for you. No question about it in my mind. I spoke with Kurt about length since he’s a little taller than me but even at 6’2” I have to sleep diagonally or I’ll hit. I think that’s part of the reason he lists it as a 1 man whereas Slingfin list it as a 2 man.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s an interesting setup that is pretty dang light with a huge amount of useable space. Apologies for the indoor setup but it’s still very much winter up here and I’ve been using it as a true double wall. Once spring bear hits this is how I’ll use the tent until the bugs show up.

-bathtub floor
-poles
-rainfly
-8 stakes
Total Weight: 2lbs 11oz

1b297f423f8e59f045ab2825662f1ba3.jpg

822f2a2a321320d4a1316175a4d04f94.jpg

414dad731a2bab2921c78413c5fc7a7c.jpg

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
Not the tent for you. No question about it in my mind. I spoke with Kurt about length since he’s a little taller than me but even at 6’2” I have to sleep diagonally or I’ll hit. I think that’s part of the reason he lists it as a 1 man whereas Slingfin list it as a 2 man.
I appreciate the feedback. Makes my decision a bit easier now. Thank you!

HuntWyld

WKR
Here’s an interesting setup that is pretty dang light with a huge amount of useable space. Apologies for the indoor setup but it’s still very much winter up here and I’ve been using it as a true double wall. Once spring bear hits this is how I’ll use the tent until the bugs show up.

-bathtub floor
-poles
-rainfly
-8 stakes
Total Weight: 2lbs 11oz

1b297f423f8e59f045ab2825662f1ba3.jpg

822f2a2a321320d4a1316175a4d04f94.jpg

414dad731a2bab2921c78413c5fc7a7c.jpg
This is exactly what I was wanting to test out for early season, I was figuring about 3lbs but that’s utilizing the web truss but with just the clips like what you have in the photo looks like it comes out even lighter. Seems like a good option.

I appreciate the feedback. Makes my decision a bit easier now. Thank you!

I’ll second that, even at 6ft I inevitably end up with my foot box up against the tent wall.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is exactly what I was wanting to test out for early season, I was figuring about 3lbs but that’s utilizing the web truss but with just the clips like what you have in the photo looks like it comes out even lighter. Seems like a good option.
It’s a little slow to pitch in this fashion compared to using the truss and leaving the fly attached which is my only real complaint pitched this minimally. The weight savings and volume gained is pretty hard to argue with though. Plus it packs down to almost nothing, roughly Nalgene bottle size with just floor and fly.

HuntWyld

WKR
It’s a little slow to pitch in this fashion compared to using the truss and leaving the fly attached which is my only real complaint pitched this minimally. The weight savings and volume gained is pretty hard to argue with though. Plus it packs down to almost nothing, roughly Nalgene bottle size with just floor and fly.
Can you leave the web truss/fly/tub all connected then just slide the poles in the same way you can with the full tent setup?