First Lite recommendations - Late season mule deer

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Building my clothing for late season mule deer, staying with only first lite for prostaff reasons, what should I be packing for late october early november for a 6 day mule deer backpacking hunt in colorado? Never been hunting in the mountains outside of september. Planning on the uncompahgre puffy for an outer jacket layer and then the guide pants but need to fill the underneath layers. thanks

Last edited:

topher89

WKR
Older models of gear but you will get the picture. I usually hunt 3rd and 4th season in Colorado which would be early to mid November

Top:
Llano Long Sleeve Crew
Chama Hoody
Patagonia R1 Quarter Zip (Not First Lite but equivalent to the Halstead or the new Klamath)
Uncompahgre Vest
Uncompahgre Hoody

Bottom
Alleghany Bottms
Corrugate Guides
Gaiters

The vest and the quarter zip fleece are optional depending on weather. I may leave both in the truck or take one or the other. All this gets packed but may not make it into my pack for the hike in

I would highly recommend you take a look at the sawtooth - its a great jacket with warmth in the right spots. Also the Klamath would be a great choice as well.

mcseal2

WKR
Aerowool Wilikin
Sawtooth
Ucompaghre hoody
Catalyst (if you want a softshell)
Vapor

BOTTOM
Aerowool boxers
Aerowool 200 base layer
Ucompaghre puffy pants
Catalyst pant
Boundary pant

EXTRA
Cap of your choice
Wind River Baklava
Scree and Grizzly gloves
Mountain Athlete cold weather socks wear one, take a spare
gaiters

I use a mix of companies in my layering system including First Lite. I love the Aerowool next to skin. This is about as close to my layering system as I can get with all FL products. I'd have all this in the truck with me and would make a final decision on leaving any of it behind at the last place I could get a weather report. I may or may not pack the raingear or softshell depending on expected weather. Sometimes I'd rather take a lightweight Go Lite Poncho tarp, or a larger sil-nylon tarp and skip a rain suit. The rain shell is a good wind barrier though and I'm not sure how wind proof the Catalyst is. I use a 15oz Sitka Mountain jacket as my softshell a lot that is a great wind barrier and I'm not sure what FL has that replaces that. I use Kuiu glassing mittens a lot and like having warm, steady hands glassing. I would pack the warm FL gloves for that reason. The FL ones I'm sure are more durable, but they weigh twice as much. I like being able to pick products that work for me from multiple companies.