First post for CO backpack hunter

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings from southern Colorado my fellow hunters and outdoor enthusiast. It's finally time I add to, instead of just receiving, on this very helpful of forums. My wife and I have lived in Pueblo now for 23 years after moving down form Fairbanks, Alaska in 2000. My six years in Alaska were full of constant fishing and hunting and anything else outdoors. While there I was blessed to have drawn a cow moose tag for the Tanana Flats area where there were estimated two moose per square mile so it was a successful hunt for sure with an added bonus of grouse and duck hunting too.

Unfortunately, I only started elk hunting in Colorado last year with a likeminded friend and was successful with a small cow elk on opening day. She was sure good eating and my wife loved it too. I also harvested a spike mule deer buck last year which is very tasty, at least to me. This year I drew the same tags but was unsuccessful, mainly due to dealing with a herniated disc in my L-5 disc which limited hunting time. I was very thankful though for spending three days solo elk hunting instead of the five days as planned. My back started feeling a "twinge" early one morning at 12:45 am, which means spasms coming soon, so I called it quits early. I loved the time out on the mountain as it refreshed me, especially hiking up past timberline around 11,700 feet and looking back over the valley below. My hunting partner who moved out of state, drew a different tag on the other side of the mountain and shot a really nice cow elk so we spent a couple days processing it at our house which is always entertaining and rewarding.

I wanted to say I have gained a lot of info on what to do, what not to do and how to do it from reading the forums for two years now. I am a backpack hunter because of where we hunt and how it gets me away from 95% of the hunters. I'll enjoy posting and replying and will continue to learn and evolve as I go. I just had surgery last week so now I am looking forward to recovery and starting back up with my full on training again in late February as it will keep me healthier too as I age. Hope to contribute something helpful here.

SonnyDay

WKR
Good luck with your recovery from surgery. Let us know how that goes? And don’t do what I did and push too early into heavy training before you’re fully recovered!

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you SonnyDay, that's the challenge for sure, patience and waiting for the recovery to have it's full effect. Looks like I'll be spending more time learning from Rokslide strengthening my knowledge for now.