First Solo Backcountry Hunt - mental suggestions

This year will be my first true solo hunt since my college days, and I'm looking forward to it. I did a week alone about 4 years ago, scouting prior to season, and my buddy joined me once the season started. That week was fantastic! :D Made me remember how much I enjoy just being on my own schedule and not having to check in with, or check on, anyone else. It had been at least 25 years before then that I had that much time to myself and I didn't realize how much I missed it.

It’s easy to want to pack up early when the weathers bad, deer aren’t moving, etc. I think it’s Aron Snyder who says “it only takes 5 minutes to become a hero” and I just repeat that to myself. The hunt can change completely at any time so you just have to stick it out. You’ll regret coming off the mountain early. I’ve done it and wished I stayed that extra day.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an accomplished quitter. I've went home early. I've went to bed early. Several times I've even debated leaving my bow and arrows on a mountainside and never hunting with a bow again. I wanted to quit bad.

One time I even backpacked out the evening of the same day I packed in.

Mostly my quitting was inspired by not seeing any animals I'm hunting, or seeing other hunters where I was prepared to hunt. Having a back up spot has been helpful. And the slow gaining of experience that builds the faith that "No, the deer haven't all left. They haven't all been killed. Aliens didn't swoop in and beam them up. There are still here. They're just hiding."

I like what Mr Denning has said. "Just quit for a day". And I'll make that smaller. Just quit for an hour. Or 30 minutes. Go get some water. Read a book. Take a nap or eat a snack. Go check out the view from that ridge.

What's been oddly inspiring is seeing other guys quit. Seeing them pack out and head to the trailhead makes you realize that you're outlasting the other hunters, and when that buck shows you're the only guy waiting. :)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember hunting seasons are short and we only get so many of them enjoy your time stay positive and stay in the moment...good luck👍

FLAK

WKR
I can only sleep about 7-8 hrs. so if I go to bed when it gets dark
I wake up around 1am. If i'm truck camping I have got up and sat in
the truck and listened to the radio. But that gets old too. Drives me crazy.
Whats even crazier is I'm starting to get drowsy again about right before dawn.
I need to pack in a copy of Lewis and Clark.

jspradley

WKR
I wake up a few times when I'm sleeping outdoors, usually around 11, 2, and 4. I think I just enjoy the feeling of going back to sleep so much my body craves it haha

The mental hurdles of being alone out there shouldn't outweigh your desire to be alone out there. Be prepared and dont let the fear of sleeping alone on the ground, loneliness, NFL scores, or freeze dried food send you back to the truck early.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I work nights and always have a hard time sleeping when I'm backpacked in alone. I always take my earbuds and listen to audio books on my phone. Sometimes I have to sleep with earplugs, otherwise I can't sleep. But that makes me nervous because I can't hear anything of whats going on outside the shelter.

I work nights and always have a hard time sleeping when I'm backpacked in alone. I always take my earbuds and listen to audio books on my phone. Sometimes I have to sleep with earplugs, otherwise I can't sleep. But that makes me nervous because I can't hear anything of whats going on outside the shelter.
I use earplugs to sleep as well. My philosophy is if it isn't currently biting me then it's not a threat. That philosophy may get me eaten one day but I'm ok with the odds.

Man, I have no idea how you guys have trouble sleeping! LOL I sleep better in camp than I do in my own bed at home. Usually because I'm so exhausted after hiking all day. Also because I'm up at 5:00 a.m. to get the day's hike started.

I plan to do more backcountry camping this year, but I have to tell you that my Coleman cot + sleeping pad + pillow from home in my Kodiak Canvas tent is probably the best sleep I'll get all year.

Don't tell my wife. ;)

jspradley

WKR
I have trouble the first few nights I'm camping, benadryl helps a lot with that, after the first few nights its usually smooth sailing

Pay the weight penalty and bring lots of extra coffee /cocoa/snacks or whatever you really enjoy. I love my food, so I use it to keep me going. For example, 'when I get to the top of this ridge, I can have my packaroon' or whatever. Also, if you get stuck on a rainy day in the tent, there's nothing like being able to drink coffee/tea or whatever all day

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people like the IDEA of solo backcountry hunting off their back because of all the glorious stories they read here and elsewhere. Actually being in the woods at night, by yourself, in a tiny tent, eating an unusual diet, with no showers, tired and sore, etc etc for 7-10 days is a different story.

Take all this advice and give it a try. Maybe try it a couple times, but don’t beat yourself up too bad if it doesn’t work out. It’s not for everybody. It’s not for me. My wife wouldn’t let me even if I wanted to do it.

Last edited:
Advice mostly isn't needed. Park your rig, lock it up and start walking. Avoid getting lost or injured. It's not a race or a contest so have a good time.
This in spades. It's not a contest. And because it's not a contest, you don't "lose" when you take time off or quit. Sometimes I think we forget that this is recreation and we get to make the rules.

I guarantee you if I'm hunting solo for 5 days and decide I'm not having any fun, I have no problem with hiking to my truck, driving to town and choking down a burger and a beer and sleeping in a hotel bed and watching TV for a night or two. Because after 2 nights in a hotel, I promise you that tent on the mountain will look pretty fantastic. LOL

I read some of the comments above and thank my lucky stars that I've spent the last 30 years with a woman who supports my desire to go hunting and spend time in the backcountry. I've called her after 10+ days in camp and all she ever says is "I miss you" but I've never heard her ask me to come home early because she knows how much I look forward to that time every year. She watches me plan and train for those hunts all year round and the last thing she wants is to be the reason I cut my hunt short. I am a blessed man for sure.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
For me it comes down to believing that I'm capable of doing it and that the buck im after exists and that I can find him. If I keep telling myself that it's hard to find a reason strong enough to want to quit.