First Tent/Sleeping Bag Decision

Allenvdb

FNG
Good afternoon everyone,

I am working on piecing together my first legitimate sleep system for western hunting during September and October. I spent some time at my local REI checking out some bags and tents today and I am looking for a little bit of advice to help make a decision. For my tent I am leaning towards an REI Quarter Dome SL 2, but was also considering a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2. Both tents are around the same weight and floor area size. They seem like they are almost the same tent. If anyone could provide some input to help me decide that would be great.

For my bag I am having a harder time narrowing it down because there are so many different options. In general I run hot when sleeping. I am also 6' 3" and about 210lbs so I will probably need a long bag. The bags I am considering are the REI Radiant 19 (Down), Nemo Forte 20 (Synthetic), and the Kelty Cosmic 20. I figure the 20 degree bags will give me the option for those colder fall days but the flexibility to open the bag up on warmer days. Is a 20 degree bag too warm for someone who sleeps hot generally? This being my first bag I am not sure if I would prefer Down or Synthetic. I plan to use my bag with a Klymit V Insulated Ultralight Pad if that plays into the decision.

I am completely new to most of this so I am open to any suggestions and advice if there is something better I should be considering.

Thanks in advance, Allen.

joestrow

WKR
I’ve had good luck with the Klymit sleeping pads and 0 degree down bag from Costco. A little on the heavy side but I’ve carried it around for 30 miles in 3 days. I’m sure there are better options, but I’d also bet they’d be much more expensive. Best of luck!!!

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
The Kifaru Slick Bag is what I chose. I m 6'1" 225 lb. I hated the restriction of the mummy bags, but the Slick bag eliminate that problem. I primarily do back pack style hunts and the Slick bag is extremely packable, warm and lite weight. I choose the zero degree bag and have used it in CO in September. Cant go wrong with this bag.

With regards to a shelter. I chose the Dan Durston X-Mid 1 man. Absolutely luv this shelter.. Extremely lite weight and packable. Vents well, well made, lots of great features.

OP
A

Allenvdb

FNG
The Kifaru Slick Bag is what I chose. I m 6'1" 225 lb. I hated the restriction of the mummy bags, but the Slick bag eliminate that problem. I primarily do back pack style hunts and the Slick bag is extremely packable, warm and lite weight. I choose the zero degree bag and have used it in CO in September. Cant go wrong with this bag.

With regards to a shelter. I chose the Dan Durston X-Mid 1 man. Absolutely luv this shelter.. Extremely lite weight and packable. Vents well, well made, lots of great features.
Thank you Buck! I will look into both of those before I make my decision.

Ryan_1129

Lil-Rokslider

I have been looking at the Kifaru slick bags and they look legit.I was just curious if I ended up going with the 0 degree or 20 degree and use it in the summer or fall and it’s warmer is it easy enough to unzip and stick your feet out? I didn’t know if makes it hard since the zipper is in the middle and it looks like the zipper runs down a little over half the length of the bag. Just curious any info. Would be great.

ks.snow

FNG
I think it would be hard to stick your leg out of the slick bag, you can for sure vent it easily since it has 3 zippers, but sticking your leg out like a side zip bag isn't as easy with a centre zip. If you get the bag id recommend ordering it without the velcro. I don't care for it and am always worried about it tearing up my merino.

Go with the Ul2 many happy hunters on here with them, and I think resale will be better if for some reason you don't like it.

Idk the price point on that back but I think one of the best weight, rating, price ratio bags out there is the Stone glacier chilkoot.
Black ovis has a Rokslide discount.
Rokslide10

OP
A

Allenvdb

FNG
Thank you for the advice. I do like everything the SG Chillkoot has to offer. This being my first bag however I don't think I want to drop nearly $600 on a bag. Definitely seems like it would be a great addition in the future however.

RCB

WKR
I have the 2-person REI quarter dome. It's a snug fit for 2 but spacious for 1. Light. It works.

As for the sleeping bag, my suggestion is to not overthink it. I've used a Kelty 20-degree from REI for probably about 10 years now. I use it in the summer without a problem, just wear very little and zip down the bag. Also, there is no need to buy a hunting brand sleeping bag. Sleeping is sleeping.

I think the Kelty down bags are awesome for their price. Another decent entry level bag would be the Paria outdoor products stuff. I don’t personally own one of those yet but they are super well reviewed for very low cost. I have their down pillow and I love that thing.

LandYacht

WKR
Here is the conclusion that I have come to: buy the best bag you’d ever want first. That will save you a ton of money in the long run as you won’t have to upgrade and have a bunch of bags laying around that you don’t use.

The shelter seems to be an always evolving want for me. I’ve been set on my LBO for about 7 years now, but I love to refine and switch out different bivies etc. Sometimes I think I want a light tent like the Nemo Hornet, or maybe a different floorless like a big tipi, but I have never wanted a different bag after getting my WM Versalite.

It’s expensive on the front end, but will save you money from upgrading and you won’t be able to do better for a 10 degree bag at 2 pounds with a full length zipper that lets you pretend you have a quilt when it’s a little too warm outside. WM is very conservative in their bag ratings, whereas Kelty is a bit optimistic just to help you with your search.

You’ll hear a lot of “buy once, cry once” and you sleeping bag is definitely one of those items. Don’t overlook a good pad too, they really go in tandem with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I would take into consideration that some brand bags do not live up to their temp ratings. Next you need to figure out how much room you need inside and where you need that room can vary with how you sleep. My best advice is to find used bags at a very good price and try them....if they do not work sell and move on. Find what size bag is best for you. Spending a lot of $ on a great bag that does not allow you enough room to sleep well is not good. Lots of bags on ebay at good price points right now.
I think the Klymit static v is a great pad.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth, I went through the same decision process about 10 years ago. I tried to do it for a reasonable cost, and made a bad decision on my bag. As some have mentioned, here, the bag is not something you want to have to buy again after you discover it is not warm enough in the field. I bought a 23 degree bag thinking that it would be good down to around that temp. Not so. After buying a $250 bag, I had to upgrade, essentially buying it twice. My second bag was a Big Agnes Blackburn SL 0 degree bag and I bought the inflatable insert, which was significantly more expensive, but worth every penny. So, to reiterate a point here, don't buy it twice, and don't trust a bag rating. You can open the bag and hang a leg if you are too hot, or sleep on top of it in the heat of bow season.

With respect to the tent, I got lucky and found a used BA Jack Rabbit SL2 for sale, slightly used. Still have that tent as it works great for what it is. I also have a Kifaru Paratarp with a vestibule and net that I can use if I need to go light. I've hunted in terrible weather with the tent and in moderate weather with the tarp, and have never wanted more (this post is limited to my time hunting alone ... if I had my buddy with me we opt for a sawtooth/stove). So, my advice, if you want it, is to look around for a used tent or tarp and then spend the $$ to get a good bag/pad that you don't need to replace.

OP
A

Allenvdb

FNG
Thank you again everyone for the great advice. I think I am going to hold off on a bag for now and continue looking at some other options before I make a decision. I think I at least need to go try out a few bags for sizing first to determine what I like and don't like as I do not have a lot of experience with them. I will not be needing the gear right away anyways so I have some time. Thanks again, you all have been very helpful!