First Time Elk Hunt For Disabled Hunter - Requesting Insight & Advice

I'm a disabled hunter with a spinal disability going hunting with friends this September for early archery season in Western Colorado. I cannot carry an extremely heavy pack while hunting. My thought was to hand carry my bow then bring along my water bladder. I was planning on eating a pretty big breakfast at camp so I will not need to pack a lot of food for during the day. I take medicine that decreases my appetite. With that said I was going to take a couple of food bars with me. BTW I'm not hunting alone I will be in close contact with the others in my hunting party. I also have a satellite communicator in case of extreme emergencies. I probably should say that I'm a very experienced hunter of multiple species, however this is my first elk hunt and first time hunting in Colorado. I recently spent my honeymoon in the Colorado wilderness in February of this year for 2.5 weeks, but we were 4X4 and hiking mainly. I am trying to pack as light as possible, honestly don't really want to wear a pack if I can get away with it. I was looking at gear such as the Sitka bino harness that straps on your front where I can store necessary accessories etc. etc.

Leaning on you experts for advice. Thanks so much in advanced!

kcm2

WKR
Have you heard of the Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America? You'd probably learn quite a bit from those folks. I would plan on bringing a couple of peanut butter and bacon sandwiches or something as you'll burn a lot of calories hiking. You need a knife, too.

OP
P
Thank you! I really appreciate your insight. I will look that organization up. I’m sure your right about the bacon sandwiches. Yes I forgot to mention I will be bringing a knife.

If day hunting from a truck camp, with good communication to others, you don't need a lot. Water, carry some purification tablets or a straw so you can make drinking water. A light jacket, knife, paracord, an emergency rain poncho can double as an extra layer if needed, high calorie food, whistle, compass, and a way to make a fire in wet conditions. You can put it all in a fanny pack. I also carry an ultralight tarp, it works for putting meat on while working up an animal, can be a shelter in a rain storm or overnight if need be.

I hunt with some older guys that have neck and back problems and they keep stuff at a minimum, and depend on the younger guys to get there in a hurry if they get something. Most important part is keep your head about you, it's big country, something might not seem that far away until you start trying to get there.

Make sure the others you are hunting with are guys you can count on. It will need to be a team.

You could look at the hill people gear kit bag, I have used one a fair amount. I put their bino pouch on the front, can carry a few things in there to free up space.

OP
P
If day hunting from a truck camp, with good communication to others, you don't need a lot. Water, carry some purification tablets or a straw so you can make drinking water. A light jacket, knife, paracord, an emergency rain poncho can double as an extra layer if needed, high calorie food, whistle, compass, and a way to make a fire in wet conditions. You can put it all in a fanny pack. I also carry an ultralight tarp, it works for putting meat on while working up an animal, can be a shelter in a rain storm or overnight if need be.

I hunt with some older guys that have neck and back problems and they keep stuff at a minimum, and depend on the younger guys to get there in a hurry if they get something. Most important part is keep your head about you, it's big country, something might not seem that far away until you start trying to get there.

Make sure the others you are hunting with are guys you can count on. It will need to be a team.

You could look at the hill people gear kit bag, I have used one a fair amount. I put their bino pouch on the front, can carry a few things in there to free up space.