Looking for Colorado elk advice.

jonjon

FNG
Hi all. Im new to the site. Im an archer normally. I'm planning a trip to Colorado elk hunting. The semi guided hunt I found says up to 500yrds. I'm thinking 30 378. Any suggestions on rifle or guide? Thanks in advance.

mt100gr.

WKR
Hi all. Im new to the site. Im an archer normally. I'm planning a trip to Colorado elk hunting. The semi guided hunt I found says up to 500yrds. I'm thinking 30 378. Any suggestions on rifle or guide? Thanks in advance.
Welcome!

How much have you shot a 30-378?

OP
J

jonjon

FNG
Welcome!

How much have you shot a 30-378?
I have not. I'm in northern Michigan. 300 win mag is enough for anything around here. Im worried it's not enough. It's also a good excuse to get a new gun. Have you shot one?

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of lesser calibers will get it done on elk inside 500 yards. The question is which rifle/caliber do you really want and can use this hunt to justify to the wife you NEED it for this trip!

mt100gr.

WKR
I have not. I'm in northern Michigan. 300 win mag is enough for anything around here. Im worried it's not enough. It's also a good excuse to get a new gun. Have you shot one?
There's a ton of information on this site in the Firearms forum on smaller, very capable cartridges. Spend as much time as you can soaking that up.

There isn't a deer in Michigan or an elk in CO that couldn't be killed with the smallest legal centerfire rifle...even at 500 yards.

If you're expecting to be capable at that range, something that costs between $7 and $9 per shot isn't the answer.

P.S. (And this isn't meant to be condescending)

Educate yourself as much as possible BEFORE discussing rifles/cartridges with an outfitter.

def90

WKR

Use whatever rifle/caliber you shoot the best. Any big game cartridge will get you an elk and the average elk shot is probably much closer to 100yd than 500yds.

OP
J

jonjon

FNG
Lots of lesser calibers will get it done on elk inside 500 yards. The question is which rifle/caliber do you really want and can use this hunt to justify to the wife you NEED it for this trip!
She
She's wise to my tricks. Got a 50 beowulf 3 years ago for Ohio shotgun and ended up filling my tag in bow season. I was originally thinking 338 mag. But saw a 30 378 cartridge and was blown away.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have taken four Elk with my .300 win mag. out to 460 yards. Dead where they stood.

OP
J

jonjon

FNG
I have taken four Elk with my .300 win mag. out to 460 yards. Dead where they stood.
Do you hand load? I'm currently running 165 spbt. It's very accurate. I was a little concerned it wasn't going to be enough. I appreciate your input. Elk is on my bucket list. Been twice for archery season,skunked both times. Congrats on the success!

Hnthrdr

WKR
The game regs say .243 and up is legal to take elk with in Co. .300 win is more than adequate. Just practice, practice, practice

atmat

WKR
I use a 6creed for my elk gun. A ton of guys here use 223 for theirs.

You do not need giant calibers. Elk die as easy as most animals.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Do you hand load? I'm currently running 165 spbt. It's very accurate. I was a little concerned it wasn't going to be enough. I appreciate your input. Elk is on my bucket list. Been twice for archery season,skunked both times. Congrats on the success!
Factory, Barnes VOR-TX 180gr. TTSX.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Man I dipped my toes with the 6.5cm this year, now I really want a 6cm! Not much for rifle hunting elk but it did a bang up job on a big ole mule deer buck

fwafwow

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide! As was mentioned above, there is lots of info here (including quite a few debates) about caliber and bullet selection. It would be time well spent to do some searching and reading. That will give you a much broader view of your choices, as opposed to limited to those who reply to this thread.