First time Idaho DIY elk..

Ill be DIY hunting Idaho in September archery. I have no experience hunting Elk. Ive hunted whitetail, hogs, turkey all my life and been on 2 pronghorn hunts. Ive learned how to bugle and cow call over the past several months. Ive put in the research in basemap of the unit Ill be hunting - which I don't think is a very desirable unit, but Ive read some people say it has potential and time being important I had to go with a unit that saves me a few hours drive time.

I honestly do not base success on this hunt on filling a tag this go round. I just want to bust my butt, learn as much as I can and just take in the experience. Next time I will expect more of myself. This time, I just need boots on the ground and get the experience under my belt. I will not have time to scout, looking like 7 days including drive time. Ive read books, done research, watched videos, etc. But its the small intricacies of the hunting on public land that I need guidance on. If anyone feels like answering some very basic questions many take for granted when writing books and making videos Id appreciate it.

I'm not looking for spots, units, etc. I have hunted extensively in the south, and I get that intel is earned. I just need some baseline how to type questions. I'm a USMC combat vet, I'm not afraid of the work. PM me if you don't mind answering some basic level questions overlooked in guides. Thanks.

What makes you want to consider brownlee? Just the talk of good numbers? In anyone's opinion, for 2 newbies who arent afraid to hike and bivy camp, would the sawtooth units be better suited? Seems the success rates are a little better and theres a ton of public land. It's hard to pass up the west side though, hearing the elk herd numbers are so good and all..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sawtooth is below objective and difficult to get a tag. Weiser has good elk numbers and good opportunity for any elk.

I hunted unit 51 last year, and my buddy missed a shot on a damn nice bull that happened to be the only elk we saw the whole two weeks. We also saw a moose, wolverine, and a lot of hunters.

I hunted unit 30A in 2009 and 2010 where we saw very few other people (hunter #s have increased 50% since). I missed a cow with my recurve in 2009 and failed to get a shot in 2010.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Boy.....I could puke after reading all the OTC tags are sold out. I decided this week to wait until I got paid (tomorrow) to then buy my tag. After checking last Friday that over 2,000 were left I figured it was no big deal to wait one more pay check. I'll regret that one for a year good luck out there this year guys, I'm gonna go for a drive, ponder why I'm such a dumb ass

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boy.....I could puke after reading all the OTC tags are sold out. I decided this week to wait until I got paid (tomorrow) to then buy my tag. After checking last Friday that over 2,000 were left I figured it was no big deal to wait one more pay check. I'll regret that one for a year good luck out there this year guys, I'm gonna go for a drive, ponder why I'm such a dumb ass

Sorry man. Hunt deer though—theyre as cool or cooler animals anyway.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Sorry man. Hunt deer though—theyre as cool or cooler animals anyway.
I have a mule deer tag for CA this year so its not a total loss and maybe ill finally kill a bear? Just been day dreaming about being camped out on a ridge in idaho for a few months now, gonna have to regroup and hit deer season hard

I have a mule deer tag for CA this year so its not a total loss and maybe ill finally kill a bear? Just been day dreaming about being camped out on a ridge in idaho for a few months now, gonna have to regroup and hit deer season hard

I picked up a Unit 31 archery elk tag for this September. Gonna be there Sept 19-30. I've done quite a bit of research, and I've narrowed it down to about 11 hunt spots over there. I tried to send you a DM, but since I just created a profile it won't let me. Could you send me a message so I could ask you a few questions about your hunt there?

I picked up a Unit 31 archery elk tag for this September. Gonna be there Sept 19-30. I've done quite a bit of research, and I've narrowed it down to about 11 hunt spots over there. I tried to send you a DM, but since I just created a profile it won't let me. Could you send me a message so I could ask you a few questions about your hunt there?
I’ve hunted that unit 3 out of the last 4 years from out of state. Like everyone says, if you’ve got the time definitely go scout it. First year I hunted it I spent 4 weekends thru the summer driving over from western Washington with a buddy. Learned a lot on those trips and more each year going over. You lucked out getting that tag, I had to settle for a weiser river rifle tag this year. A good starting point is go in middle fork brownlee creek from highway 71. Glass alot.