First Timer 3rd Rifle Colorado

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I will be hunting OTC third rifle. Plan on leaving Texas on the 9th, hopefully getting some scouting in before the 11th.

I have spent a good amount of time hiking around the mountains in our area, but this will be the first time we hunt. We have access to a house in the area. So looking at doing day excursions. If we get into some good activity, may consider doing an overnighter.

Looking for some general guidance to help on this adventure and improve our odds. What can we expect weather wise as well? Appreciate any helpful advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
It’s dry so far this year. We had a wave of snow but it’s mostly melted off. If we don’t get some significant snow by 3rd R, I wouldn’t count on a migration -you’ll have to go find where they are holed up.

OP
smacha538

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
Weather? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Mid November last year was….

View attachment 617653
Have fun, at least you have a house. I have a cow tag for 3rd

Holy moly. Good luck as well. Had family at the house recently, and reported not much, if any snow. Pretty mild. But I well know it could change at the drop of a hat.

OP
smacha538

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
It’s dry so far this year. We had a wave of snow but it’s mostly melted off. If we don’t get some significant snow by 3rd R, I wouldn’t count on a migration -you’ll have to go find where they are holed up.

That would mean up high?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Hunted Colorado 3rd rifle 4 years ago. Hiked up 2 miles from the Maripose trailhead and camped. Went a couple days early to scout. Was 50 to 60 degrees for the first 3 days then snowed for 5 days straight. I think there was 18 inches of snow and 17 degrees at night. Had the exact tent in one of these pics. Be ready for anything.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
That would mean up high?

It means wherever they are hanging out. Elk in CO range from below 5K to above 12K this time of year unless significant snow moves them down toward the winter range, which hasn't happened yet. I live at 8600 and there are lots of elk living below us, with herds above us starting to move down after 1st rifle season. Supposed to have some snow this weekend, and likely more by 3rd. Maybe a LOT. Study the migration routes on the CPW interactive map. That's usually a good starting point that late in the year.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Snow really helps a lot. If you bump them pull your rifle up anyway. They tend to stop and turn to see what they’re running from. Do yourself a favor and keep your scope on the lowest power while walking. If you need to make a quick shot you will have trouble finding the elk in your scope if it’s set to count the rings of Saturn

Deerkilr

FNG
Last year in 3rd we had 4 days straight with lows in negative temps and single digits highs. Two years before that there were no Elk because there wasn't enough snow. There's no predicting the weather up there.

Headed to the valley on the 9th, will wave passing by lol.
I'll be heading North on the 8th to get home to pack up! Planning on heading to CO the morning of the 9th.

RO1459

FNG
I will also be up there in North Colorado for the third season. This will be my 44th year of hunting third season up there. As others have said, you can expect any type of weather at any time. In 2013 on opening morning, we left camp early with a temperature of 42 degrees. That afternoon, we had 10" on the ground. By Tuesday, we had several feet and had to leave. So be prepared for cold and/or warm temps.

But most of all, have a great trip and hunt.

I will also be up there in North Colorado for the third season. This will be my 44th year of hunting third season up there. As others have said, you can expect any type of weather at any time. In 2013 on opening morning, we left camp early with a temperature of 42 degrees. That afternoon, we had 10" on the ground. By Tuesday, we had several feet and had to leave. So be prepared for cold and/or warm temps.

But most of all, have a great trip and hunt.
-9 this morning and 8" of snow on the ground right now. Pack for anything!

Writing from Southern Colorado. We got a cold front this am and it is feeling like winter suddenly. I would definitely plan on winter conditions, but of course your unit will make a big difference. OTC units are crowded especially the first day or two of the season. Do your best to go to the nasty areas other people dont and be patient to wait for weekend warriors to clear out.