First Western Hunt

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I'm from Western Pennsylvania and looking to possibly try hunting out west next fall. Because I'm not going to have money this spring for applications and the possibility that I may get a job and not be able to go, I'd like to narrow it down to over the counter that I can buy over the summer or in the early fall. As of right now, I'm kinda leaning towards mule deer. So far, it looks like Idaho, Colorado, and Arizona all have OTC mule deer tags. Looking for any general advice for which state/tag to choose. I'm not opposed to other species as well, like antelope (don't think there's any OTC tags), elk (thought it might be easier to pack out a smaller animal), and black bear. Money will be an issue because I'm going to be fresh out of college so keep price in mind. Time of year doesn't really matter because I'll probably be a substitute teacher and should be able to get time off. And I have all the gear to go (Remington 700 30-06 or Ruger Scout 308, Sitka gear, Kenetreks, Alps frame pack). So all I really need is the tag and gas money.

I'd love to get up in the high country after a mule deer, as I'm more interested in goats and sheep than anything, but won't have the money yet or time to put in for an unlimited MT sheep tag. I figure this will be the prettiest country. Leaning towards Idaho near the Sawtooths somewhere, but Colorado would be a tad closer for me. Would love to hunt the Beartooths in Montana because I've been backpacking there before and it could be possible scouting trip for future unlimited sheep trips but don't think there's any OTC tags there except possibly bear.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

jolemons

WKR
Everyone will have different opinion. Pick a region that interests you and has OTC opportunity and go. That's the only way to learn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There are no OTC deer tags in Co but some are easy to get. Every year easy. Good luck

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Nebraska is OTC for mule deer, and there are some draws you can get in on with zero points that are pretty good in other states, thats what I done last year and had great success

Just do your research and weigh your options. Nebraska and South Dakota have OTC Mulie tags. Arizona has probably more public land but farther to drive, and completely different terrain. I have been struggling with this exact thing for a year or two now, just trying to get the time to do it. But Nebraska, South Dakota or Arizona would be where i would concentrate.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I was kinda thinking about Nebraska, but I'd really like to get up into some higher country just for the experience. It's definitely something to consider though. I have been through South Dakota several times and it would be pretty cool to hunt there. Luckily I have lots of time to figure it out, so I'll keep researching.

CJF

WKR
If you are looking for high country experience for a low cost, get a Colorado Bear tag. You won't hunt in the Rockies for cheaper as a non-resident.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for high country experience for a low cost, get a Colorado Bear tag. You won't hunt in the Rockies for cheaper as a non-resident.

Thanks! Bear is definitely looking like one of the best options for the money. I've never really had the desire to shoot a bear, but if I could find a big old one I'd be happy to take it. Montana also has a OTC bear tag for 350 and I know a guy there who would likely help me out as far as where to go and possibly even tag along. I'll look into Colorado a little more though!

tntrker

WKR
It's best to look where you think you might want to go and buy whatever points you can each year, because trust me, after going on one you'll be hooked and kicking yourself for not knowing/buying points in previous years.

rayporter

WKR
save and buy as much now as you can. we went to Canada fishing right out of high school on bologna sandwiches and tater chips. slept in the truck topper and swam in a lake for a bath. then ate fish for a week; cost not much more than gas.

you can shower at a truck stop and eat micro wave food that you boil in water on your camp stove to have a hot meal. out first elk hunt in Colorado went about like that all the way from eastern ohio.

Colby.20

FNG
I’m in the same boat you are! Seems like a bear tag is looking more considerable for a first western experience as due to being non resident and cost for tags as well as easily getting otc as it seems.

Have you had any success in your research? I’m located in WV