Firstlite Fleece vs Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody

I'm in the market for a new mid layer. I currently layer with a lightweight merino piece, followed by the firstlite chama hoody, then a puffy or rain jacket. Early season is usually just the merino base then the chama over that. I have durability concerns about the chama hoody and want to replace this piece with a fleece/synthetic type layer. I've been looking at the new Firstlite Klamath hoody and the Sitka Heavyweight hoody and I'm leaning toward the Sitka due to their fantastic warrany/customer service. Are these two pieces basically the same thing? Do they serve similar purposes? What is the warmth to weight ratio like for them? Is one more durable then the other? Do they cut the wind pretty good? What's the breathability like when actively moving/hiking? I usually run a little on the colder side. Any information or opinions would be appreciated.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm in the market for a new mid layer. I currently layer with a lightweight merino piece, followed by the firstlite chama hoody, then a puffy or rain jacket. Early season is usually just the merino base then the chama over that. I have durability concerns about the chama hoody and want to replace this piece with a fleece/synthetic type layer. I've been looking at the new Firstlite Klamath hoody and the Sitka Heavyweight hoody and I'm leaning toward the Sitka due to their fantastic warrany/customer service. Are these two pieces basically the same thing? Do they serve similar purposes? What is the warmth to weight ratio like for them? Is one more durable then the other? Do they cut the wind pretty good? What's the breathability like when actively moving/hiking? I usually run a little on the colder side. Any information or opinions would be appreciated.

I personally have had both and I personally like the Sitka heavy weight hoody. I tore my first Lite chama hoody within 2 days of being in the woods. Granted that was my outer layer that day. It is soft don't get me wrong, but the durability of the heavy weight I have found to be better. I'm sure others will say different, but I now have one in a solid to wear daily during winter the subalpine, and open country for the different hunting seasons in Colorado. I haven't seen/ heard anything about the Klamath yet so I cant compare those. I know the core heavy weight is a good outer layer for early mornings during archery season. It is a great mid/base layer for late season rifle.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Core heavyweight and I don't really like the hood on it. I don't like the hoods that zip clear up to my nose most of the time, the "wings" it leaves flapping when I have the hood up but not zipped all the way up annoy me. I bought a Sitka Fanatic hoody I like better. It's a shade warmer but very similar to the Core. The Fanatic has some funky mittens built into the sleeves but they aren't really in the way when they aren't used. Anyway it might be another one to look at. The hood on it fits similar to the hood on the Chama.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have the Sitka, but I have the halstead tech fleece, I believe it is basically same same as the Kalamath but without the hood. It’s super durable I have worn it busting brush here in NW Oregon and haven’t had any problems with it. Is I wouldn’t want to do it all the time going through blackberries and scotch broom. But it blocks the wind well, is warm enough for me (especially when coupled with the Chama) and packs down pretty well. I have it in Pine and will be for sure buying the Kalamath as well because I love the Halstead so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wore the heavy weight hoody a lot last year. A lot of sub zero temps and it was fantastic!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

snowplow

WKR
I know you didn't ask, but I would highly recommend the kuiu pellet on 240. I haven't had the core heavyweight or the Klamath but I have had a fanatic hoody and this is way better in my opinion. It's considerably warmer than the fanatic and completely cuts the wind which The Fanatic did not. Just another option for you.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I didnt like the fit on the halstead. Took me about an hour to know it wouldnt work for me.
My coreheavy weight hoody goes on every hunt i go on. If i am whitetail hunting i swap it with the fanatic hoody. Both are excellent peices. Layer well and the move with you. The also hold there own as an outer layer. I have the core heavyweight in all three patterns colors. Wish they would do another solid color.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
KUIU reigns supreme in terms of fleece in my experience. That fancy NuYarn or Karubishi (whatever) shit is the real deal.

I've had a variety of pieces from each company. I know many guys will disagree with me but I do think that Sitka and kuiu are in a league of their own overall and First Lite really does not compare, especially in terms of durability.

Back on track:

The Peloton stuff from KUIU is the most impressive fabric I've ever used. The first time I washed my Peloton 200 hoodie, the thing was dry coming out of the washer after the spin cycle. They dry so fast it's not even funny. Their pieces are significantly lighter than Sitka as well.

I would strongly recommend you take a look at the Peloton 200 and 240 in addition to the core heavyweight from Sitka.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
MuleDeerMike
Thanks for the info guys. I'm also throwing the new Sitka Apex into consideration now. It seems to weigh substantially more than the hw core hoody and Klamath though, but I like the built in zip kangaroo pocket.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm also throwing the new Sitka Apex into consideration now. It seems to weigh substantially more than the hw core hoody and Klamath though, but I like the built in zip kangaroo pocket.

the sitka apex is more like the kuiu merino hoodie and first lite merino hoodie. not as warm as a fleece like the kuiu peloton or sitka heavyweight. i called them bc on the website it said 22 oz when it came out but its more around 15 iirc. id use that as a lightweight second layer over a light weight base layer or run it as a base layer alone. it shold be more durable than the FL merino and Kuiu merino hoodies bc its a merino/synthetic blend. the only thats putting me off from trying one is the price.