fixed 10x and spotting own shots

Blaw

WKR
another noob question for you guys. I just got my first fixed power scope. You all sold me on the 6x swfa...man i love it.
I am in canada so the only opportunity to buy these is when they come up second hand as swfa is not shipping here anytime soon.

I have an 11lb 300wm with muzzle brake that will be my dedicated hunting rifle. I am just getting into the long range stuff but will also encounter shots around 100 yards. I hunt mostly in the foothills of the rockies..so picture large rolling hills, trees, cut blocks. some open hillsides, but also treed areas.

Right now I have really been concentrating on fundamentals of rifle shooting as I have been more of an archery guy. so mostly shooting the 22 right now.

a 10x has come up on the used market here. I am debating getting it for my 300wm and keeping the 6x on my 22. my only concern is spotting my own shots at ranges from 150-200 yards as I solo hunt 99% of the time.

in your experience is that possible or a no go? or would you even care?

real life experience would be best thanks!

my shots would be off of some sort of support. standing or laying down backpack, trekking poles etc. I have never shot and would never shoot just free standing

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If your body position is correct, generally yes. You will lose more shots at closer ranges than with a 6x of course.

What stock are you using as that has a pretty significant affect as well?

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
If your body position is correct, generally yes. You will lose more shots at closer ranges than with a 6x of course.

What stock are you using as that has a pretty significant affect as well?
Hey Form! couldn't ask for a better opinion!
It would be the boyds pro varmint, I would be putting a kydex cheek rest on it for proper alignment with scope (don't have stock yet)
from pics it looks like it is similar to the mcmillan A5 in shape and size (although heavier I believe)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That stock is designed decently.

You should be ok being braked if your body position is straight and neutral.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d put the 10x on the 22, it’s perfect from 50 to 400 on my 22. You can still reach out there with a 6x on the 300wm.

264win

WKR
10x fixed is really not ideal for the hunting you describe. You will have a hard time spotting your own shots at 100-200 yds, also smaller field of view. Use the 6x or get a variable with a low end of 2-3x and you will be much better off

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a 10X SWFA on a 22 and it has worked well on the range. However, the center crosshair is very fine and it wouldn’t work well in hunting situations for me. Also, I think you would have to have a really, really good brake and faultless form to spot your hits with a 300 WM at 100-200 yards with a 10X scope.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
There’s also a 3-9 on the classifieds
I am in Canada, apparently your laws dont like ppl shipping optics up here because there so crazy dangerous and all......If I only had to worry about the Canadian border guys they would probably want to check it out, ask how my day was, give me a tim hortons coffee and tell me to have a great day lol

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I do have a Bushnell LRHS selling for 900 here.......but the 10x is about 500-600 with rings/lvl/scope caps

annnnnnd no one is working do to covid so I am trying to be financially responsible while not being responsible at the same time :)

BuckSnort

WKR
Have you stretched out the 6x yet? You may be really surprised how capable that scope is out to 600-800 yards...

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
Have you stretched out the 6x yet? You may be really surprised how capable that scope is out to 600-800 yards...
I haven't actually, just threw it on the 300wm today, Ill be giving her a spin here within the week :)
just looking through it at some hills behind my place I figure 400 would be max for it. 800 seems damn far

BuckSnort

WKR
I haven't actually, just threw it on the 300wm today, Ill be giving her a spin here within the week :)
just looking through it at some hills behind my place I figure 400 would be max for it. 800 seems damn far

You are going to be pleased.. As long as you input good info 400-600 is fairly easy with that scope. And 800 will surprise you.. My wife and I just got into twisting turrets last year and started out with the SWFA 6x... Both of us were ringing a 12" gong at 860 the first trip out after zero'ing and tall target testing..