Fixed Power Scopes

Considering a fixed power for my 22 creed. Looking at the SWFA 10X. Bad idea? Shots on game would/ could be from point blank (not likely) to the bullets velocity threshold which would be about 850-900 yards.

Are the 10x as reliable as the 6x?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Considering a fixed power for my 22 creed. Looking at the SWFA 10X. Bad idea? Shots on game would/ could be from point blank (not likely) to the bullets velocity threshold which would be about 850-900 yards.

Are the 10x as reliable as the 6x?

The 10x and 6x are the same in reliability. The 10x is certainly usable at closer ranges, and the 6x is usable at longer ranges.

If the majority of my game shots were 600’ish yards and under, I would choose the 6x. If the major my game shots were 400 yards and farther, the 10x.

I've used a 12x for the past 4 years on my primary hunting rifle. It was only a disadvantage one time, and overall I never think much about the magnification one way or the other. It's sort of nice sometimes not to mess with it. The 10x is probably much better overall for most hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

xsn10s

WKR
I got rid of the 12x Milquad when I used it to hunt sagerats in taller grass. The FOV was just a tad too narrow. I now have a 10X and though the FOV is slightly better I feel that it is still too narrow. For big game a 6X might be the best of the bunch, depending on your range limitations.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
10x is fine. I appreciate the extra magnification. (all of my big game rifles have mag over 20) My main coyote rifle had a 10X and my muzzleloader had a 10X. now that scope sits on my long range 22lr. I use that same 22lr to shoot rabbits and squirrels in the 10-25 yard range. Just takes practice.

Lawnboi

WKR
Target acquisition is a skill most don’t even think about. With enough practice I’d have no issues carrying a fixed 10 power scope.

The swfa fixed 10 isn’t a bad scope. I swap it around on my gopher gun.

nobody

WKR
I have two 10's and two 12's in my arsenal. My feeling is that 10 and 12x binos aren't that big of a deal for quick glances up close when needed. They're not optimal, but totally useable. They're more critical of recoil control, but once I learned to control recoil effectively and improve my body positioning and mechanics, I learned to appreciate the higher mag for watching splash and trace at longer ranges.

My next investment is a couple of 6x models, but I won't be getting rid of my 10's and 12's. My feeling is much what Form mentioned above. The 6x is probably a better coast-to-coast do-it-all optic, but there's units and areas where the extra x's are nice, as long as you are practiced up.

As @Lawnboi mentioned above, target acquisition is a learned skill, and I would never put a new or inexperienced shooter behind a 10x or 12x SWFA and send them on a hunt. But if they've spent some time mock-shouldering their rifle and have shot a fair amount and have solid mechanics and have dry fired a fair amount, I see no reason why a person couldn't. My 12x went with me on Colorado 3rd season last year (big open winter grounds, sagebrush flats, potential for a 4 figure distance kill shot) and it wasn't a detriment to my 350 yard one shot kill on my buck out there. But again, I've shot A LOT with it.

A guy can shoot much much much further than he thinks with a fixed 6x, and he can shoot much much much closer than he would think with a fixed 10 or 12x. It's all about practice, confidence, and mechanics. Learn your system, whatever it may be, use it, become proficient, and then get off the computer and go start killing stuff.

OP
Jake Leibke
Thanks for all the input. Thinking I’ll try a 10x and see how I like it. I have a 6x on my 223, only had it a few weeks so haven’t done a lot of shooting with it but so far feel like Mayne 6-700 is what that magnification is good for. Think the 10x will be good a bit further out and still useable closer if needed.

Firth

FNG
I have a 10x on a Kimber Montana that has been rebarreled as a 22-250 ai. It's been great for me so far. I like the fixed 6x out as far as I will probably ever shoot big game, but for smaller targets (e.g., ground squirrels) I like the extra magnification. The extra magnification hasn't bit me on a close in target yet.

OP
Jake Leibke
Decided to order a 10x SWFA. Seems like it’ll be a good fit. If not I’ll toss it on a 22 or something.

KenLee

WKR
I'd only use a fixed 10x for a hunting scope as a last resort. Heck, I don't like using a scope for hunting with a low end of magnification over 4x.
I do have a 10x SWFA that I sometimes put on "new to me" rifles to check groupings. Then I decide how much to spend on a hunting scope for that rifle, or determine that rifle isn't going back in a safe belonging to me.
I also think the reticle center of the SWFA is a little thin for shots in low light.

xsn10s

WKR
Decided to order a 10x SWFA. Seems like it’ll be a good fit. If not I’ll toss it on a 22 or something.

I missed the part where you already have a 6X. If you're going to use it on your 22 CM for yote at 800-900 yards I think you'll be happy. Mine is fine for that and I have no trouble finding yotes out to 1200 yards. The only time I wish for a variable or something with larger FOV is when the terrain all looks the same and the target is small. I've even hit a sage rat at 10 yards, blurry but doable. I have mine on a 260 AI and the longest coldbore hit while hunting was a 659 yard badger.

OP
Jake Leibke
Ordered the 10X and got it mounted up in the UM rings. Got a chance to shoot a little this morning. Basically zeroed the scope and took a few shots at 375, 515 and 725 yards. I think it’ll fit really well for my intended use. Cows knocked over my farther targets but even at my 925 yard target, which was down but was checking out the fence posts, seemed like it work well.

fwafwow

WKR
Ordered the 10X and got it mounted up in the UM rings. Got a chance to shoot a little this morning. Basically zeroed the scope and took a few shots at 375, 515 and 725 yards. I think it’ll fit really well for my intended use. Cows knocked over my farther targets but even at my 925 yard target, which was down but was checking out the fence posts, seemed like it work well.

How is the 10x working out for you, especially in comparison to the 6x?

danwolf

FNG
How did you decide on the HD over the “regular” 10x?

HD has better glass.

I’ve mostly used this 10x for new rifles to sight in and see if I’m going to keep the rifle or not. It’s still sitting on my 300 WSM I used it to kill a caribou in Alaska, it worked just fine, but if I were to hunt more often with it I want a variable power scope or a 6x fixed.

OP
Jake Leibke
How is the 10x working out for you, especially in comparison to the 6x?

Just got back from a hunting trip.

10x is working good for me. The kid Had to make a close up finishing shot on 1 deer and had to use the focus ring. I’ve shot 3 deer with it, 150,206 and 625 yards.

I have the 6x on a 223. The kids have shot 3 deer with it but I have not used it on a critter, only steel and paper. They did not complain.

The reticle 10x has a small diamond at the full mil mark and a line at the 1/2 mil marks and the 6x I have just has longer and shorter lines marking the same. I do like the diamond more I think.

I wouldn’t hesitate buying another 10x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa