Flat Lander on his First Elk Hunt, picture heavy.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Relocated from North Dakota to Post Falls last spring. Unfortunately last fall was too busy with work so I have to wait until this year to chase Elk.

Completely new experience for me. I had done some whitetail hunting, both archery and rifle, but I was primarily a upland bird guy.
Figured I better embrace the Inland Northwest and all it has to offer.

After speaking with some friends and doing some e-scouting I picked a spot in the Silver Valley (Unit 4) which is about 50 miles from my house. I made 4 trips during August to put some boots on the ground and learn as much about the area as I could. It was like finding a needle in a haystack, but to find Elk and pinpoint some bedding and feeding areas.

Fast forward to Opener. I had three people joining me. My Cousin and my Uncle both from MN, and a non hunting buddy was going to tag along. We set up Camp on 9-8 and hit the trail not long after lunch. We hit the first area I had picked and covered some ground........found some sign, but nothing super fresh. Regardless nothing was talking. Covered about 8 miles with a lot of steep and thick cover.

My 72 year old uncle. No slowing him down.

DSC_0017-L.jpg

My Cousin Brian mid climb grind.

DSC_0018-L.jpg

DSC_0044-L.jpg

Day 2 was much the same........a lot of walking and calling, but very little talking. We did have one bull answer us mid morning, but after a couple backs and forths he shut down and it was to big a gap to cross.

DSC_0096-L.jpg

Mid morning Brian and I decided to go for a walk about back to camp......think it was about 3 miles as the crow flies. Ended up being about 9 miles on the ground, and some really unrelenting stuff. Found great sign, but boot tracks as well. Even miles from anywhere we were not alone.

PSX_20180910_094041-L.jpg

PSX_20180910_094115-L.jpg

The evening of day two was quiet as well. We did see a spike on the road after dark on the way back to camp. We arked the spot and planned on checking that area in the morning.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Day three started early.....we were about an hour drive from camp where we has spotted the spike. After all the miles the two days prior...and some sore feet it was tough to get out of a warm sleeping back at 4:45am.

Not all smiles.

20180912_054536-L.jpg

It was much the same....except this time we did find fresh sign. Found a murky wallow, fresh tracks and droppings, just no Elk.

20180910_071656-L.jpg

20180910_135333-L.jpg

Brian did find a Grouse though.....

18784-L.jpg

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Day 4 I took the day off. We signed my youngest boy up for a intro to Archery Class and he also has soccer practice. Lynn and Scott tagged along.

20180911_163341-L.jpg

20180911_172416-L.jpg

We resupplied and met Brian back at camp after dark. He had covered some ground above where we had been hunting and cut some fresh Wolf tracks.

18807-L.jpg

After he saw those he relocated 5 miles west and was able to get a bull to talk to him at dusk.......so the plan was to go after him in the AM.

To be cont.

Love the pictures! I am going next week in 4. Wife will be with on the weekend, then will be solo. I will have up to 9 days, not sure if I'll be able to grind it out.

Love the pictures! I am going next week in 4. Wife will be with on the weekend, then will be solo. I will have up to 9 days, not sure if I'll be able to grind it out.

Not with that attitude! Jk.. just get a daily process with little downtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not with that attitude! Jk.. just get a daily process with little downtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to be realistic! I have done a ton of dawn to dusk hikes solo and a couple hunts, but not overnight solo. But I will only be a little over 2 hrs from home, so it will be easy to head back during the day and get a warm shower and home cooked meal if I feel like it during the week.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
We had a pretty good system. Seems like we always got back to camp around 8ish or so.

One guy would start cooking supper, and the rest would prep what ever we needed for the next day. Sandwiches, snacks, water. Garbage out of packs. Add or delete clothing, etc.

Eat supper, drink a couple beers and discuss the next days plan. In bed by 10. Alarm would go off around 4pm and start all over.

PSX_20180910_102431-L.jpg

20180908_210517-L.jpg