Float tube fishing

ozyclint

WKR
Anyone use a float tube for packing into areas not accessible with a canoe or kayak?

There are places I fish that can only be reached on foot and I have often thought a packable float tube would be good.

What tubes are people using for this?

What wader setup do you need for cold water?

Austink47

WKR
I have a goplus. Not the best, but they work and are about as cheap as you can get into one. I prefer fly fishing with a 10ft rod over fishing with conventional gear out of the tube. I just find it more conducive given how low in the water you are sitting and the fact that you are always moving. Setting a hook with a TX rig is hard to do in a tube. It is easy to get cold if you are not kicking around a bunch. I only have breathable waders and make it work, just layer accordingly when it is cold and bring a thermos of hot coffee. It is a fun and very effective way to fish small water.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I have only packed in for day trips - I did that with a meat hauler frame and just strapped the old-style belly tube to that; already inflated. Not really recommended for a camping situation but it worked. Breathable waders for sure - if cold the Prana Zions just stay on under the waders.
I have since upgraded tubes to one much better suite to packing and reinflating. There used to be a Creek Company tube that was super light for packing - inflatable seat, thin bladders etc. Considered it but went heavier duty.
The bigger thing I see is dealing with inflating it and fins [I will only ever use dive fins]. For inflation, consider looking for a valve system that accepts a schrader adaptor [standard bicycle pump] and then look into the small compressed air tools for biking - just make sure to try it at the house to see how many or how fast it fills before blowing out the bladders.
Agree with the 10-foot flyrod rec above....but niners work too.

Okhotnik

WKR
I use an older caddis for longer hikes. I deflate and bring a k pump. In hot summer light weight long pants and force fins. I bring breathable waders if colder with candles like Chacos. I like external Frame back packs and lash deflated tube to out side and use hiking poles. I prefer 10ft 4 weight weight too. Im a big fan of just slowly kicking and trolling with red and black micro leeches and a clear intermediate line. I carry and extra spool wit floating line for hatches. dont forget a patch kit. I do wear a co2 inflatable life jacket

I got one specifically for packing into high mountain lakes. Check out wilderness lite float tubes. For cold water waders you have two options. Either some insulated waders or non insulated with pants/long John’s underneath. Non insulated with long John’s is going to be less weight.

Rich M

WKR
I was using a round float tube to retrieve ducks in beaver bogs. After getting water down the back for the "20th" time, stopped doing that.

Get one air chambers on each side that keeps your wader top/edge out of the water.

For cold water, bring warm sox, long johns to stay warm.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I use an older caddis for longer hikes. I deflate and bring a k pump. In hot summer light weight long pants and force fins. I bring breathable waders if colder with candles like Chacos. I like external Frame back packs and lash deflated tube to out side and use hiking poles. I prefer 10ft 4 weight weight too. Im a big fan of just slowly kicking and trolling with red and black micro leeches and a clear intermediate line. I carry and extra spool wit floating line for hatches. dont forget a patch kit. I do wear a co2 inflatable life jacket
^^ this. I used to take an extra rod rather than an extra spool. The convenience outweighed the extra weight.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an pretty lightweight Outcast something-or-other and have used it plenty in years past to backpack up to random high altitude lakes and fly fish for cutthroat. But my experience has been that fishing out of a float tube kind of sucks. Slow air leaks, cold water, awkward to maneuver with fins, fighting winds at altitude, very unideal position for casting from, etc. Unless the lake really doesn't have any opportunities from fishing from shore or drops off too quickly to wade out a ways, I generally don't even think about bringing the float tube anymore.