Wading boots for AK float

Versydus

WKR
Heading up to AK on a DIY float hunt. Reading everything I can on here, so BIG thanks to everyone for their insights into gear reviews post hunts.

One thing I haven't found is what wader boots styles does everyone prefer. Rubber sole only, but in a lightweight hiker look or the full on redwing welding boot looking ones??? Got a setup of Simms G4 full stocking foot waders they would be used with.

I plan to pack my Crispi Guides when on our overwatch glassing points and for packing when not in super boggy areas. River has a lot of old slews in areas that are adjacent to decent 100-200' overlooks.

Plan to go 60-80 miles/10-12 days in mid Sept. So they gotta last that long.

Thanks!
e075f3f5d5d12820789d655413f63cf7.jpg
32df9a00448fa440047a2cbd3b14b5b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
Did a 7 day float up there in August and just wore standard wading boots. I have those lightweight Simms ones you listed and they are great also. Since you won’t be doing a ton of walking I’d err on the side of roomy so you can add thick socks if it ends up being colder than forecasted.

hiker270

WKR
I have several pairs of wading boots, Simms, Orvis and Cabelas. I have both the high tops and the hiking boot types. They both have their purpose. The high ones I prefer when in water with a lot of rocks and the hiker type in smoother bottom rivers. The hiker type for me seem a bit more comfortable if wearing them for many hours. Also the Boa type lacing system is handy for easy on and off. Simms boots to me seem to be the most comfortable.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Orvis ultralights. On sale right now. I blew up a pair of the Simms light ones in one summer (although nice and comfy). The Orvis ones are still going strong.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Also the Boa type lacing system is handy for easy on and off.

I am completely off Boa anything, especially wading boots. Those cables fray and break, and are not field repairable unless you have a kit (there are at least three different kits, and they aren't cross compatible). I wouldn't take them on a trip or ever consider buying them again. Just my two cents on the subject.

OP
Versydus

Versydus

WKR
I'm also 100% no boa system. I prefer to be able to replace my laces with 550 cord if needed.

I'll check those out. Good advice so far!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve used the g3 boots for like 5 years now with no issues. If I was buying a new pair, I’d probably get those flyweight ones from simms. My friend had some Patagonia/danner ones this year which seemed pretty sweet.

roymunson

WKR
I used the less expensive Tributarys from Simms and they worked fine. They were a little more blocky and less athletic than I'd have prefered, but we didn't walk a ton in them. My buddy had a set of Orvis boots that were more like a vasque or keen setup. He really like those.

I’d recommend
-Simms Flyweight wading boots: Sized to fit well with a light to mid-weight sock. Do NOT size them to fit a heavy-weight sock ‘for warmth’
-Simms Right Angle Wading Boot Inserts: these really help support your arches, resulting in less foot fatigue.
-Leukotape P 1.5” width (BSN Medical): tape any parts of your feet that are prone to getting blisters…..before you actually have a blister develop. Generally, once the tape has been applied, it’ll stay on for a 10-14 day hunt.
-2 Toms Blister Shield: apply powder to your socks each day. This product prevents blisters by creating a water resistant frictionless barrier that prevents the formation of blisters and heat build up. It also serves as an antiperspirant to keep your feet/socks drier. This product is absolutely amazing!!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Avoid the cable lace system, even the best ones. Too many times I've seen them freeze, fail or break on brand new boots whildst float draggin'. Convenient, yes. Reliable, nope.

I tried nearly all good brands before using SIMMS because of the up front cost. No other boot is gonna last as long as a SIMMS wading boot, this based on 25+ years of client observations. Even new SIMMS boots take a serious beating on a single 60-mile float. SIMMS Just warrantied my wife's pair of Sandstones. Brand new replacements after she ripped out an eyelet on a float drag. I personally get about 3 seasons out my boots before the sole patterns wear down (Sandstones and G3s).

One year I had a new pair of high-top SIMMS and regretted it. We ended the Arolik on the salt water and to reach the airport from our rafts and gear required traversing 1/4-mile of chest high seagrass and sludgy tidal mud. I pushed through the discomfort of a pressure point on my foot and finally reached the strip after a few trips. After months of continued pain it was obvious that I had nerve damage in my foot from not addressing those boots. Long story shorter, 5 years later I still can't wear a high-top boot that rests in that same spot on my lower calf. I had to cut away a huge chunk of the boot material with my pocket knife so it wouldn't touch my "owwee" while in waders. I wore those "cut-away" SIMMS for two more seasons while my nerve healed and only replaced them because the treads were getting thin. I'm back to G3s and won't likely change.

Whichever brand you choose, go with laces AND throw away the laces that come with the boots. Replace those with authentic #550 cord and you'll not be disappointed. Broken factory boot laces on Alaska wading boots is a common occurrence. Float hunting is synonymous with chronic abrasion.

PS edit: I referenced "sandstones" above...should be Freestones. sorry 'bout that

IdahoBeav

WKR
I can't speak for Alaska, but the Patagonia Danner boots are extremely durable and comfortable. In my opinion, they are easily the best available on the market. I like them so much I bought a pair each of the rubber, felt, and aluminum sole models, but that was back before they hiked the prices back up.

OP
Versydus

Versydus

WKR
If this was a poll, Simms is ranking first based on recommendations. Leaning towards the newer G3's and G4 series that Simms has out. Gonna try a set on at the flagship store next time I'm thru Montana for work.

Overall weight on this trip is pretty important as AV gas seems to be on par with the price of gold in backounty AK. Has anyone tried to run just their wading boots with the addition of Goretex socks for when not in waders? That would cut almost 4# outta my kit? Which leads to my second brain storm was to look what was arguably the most durable boot I ever wore during some pretty rigorous training evolutions. Bates Lite hot weather boots. I spent the better part of 3 months in a set of these getting them wet and sandy daily. They drain well, dry fast, ruck well with excessive weight and are durable.

Whats the cons to using these for my wading boots? Height? Possibly damage to the neoprene? There isn't any insulation to absorb water for weight retention. They would realistically dry overnight if we hot tented it. To Larry's comment on laces, these could be used for extra winch line if they were made in longer lengths.
589d509644c6c693c56c12c57feba3b2.jpg

keller

WKR
I used simms tributary waders and boots. They were comfortable to walk in .lightweight and didn't leak. BUT when you take them off in the evening .WET.put them on in the morning and go to your calling spot in the morning sit their in 25 degree weather they freeze and your feet get cold.

I used Simms G3s on my Alaska. Moose/ bear hunt. They were perfect for the bogs ans water crossings while moose hunting. I hiked in them also after tagging out and going up to higher ground for bear. Not a comparable boo to a strict Mtn boot, I.e. my Kennetreks, however they did the job well and saved me from packing extra gear.

Voyageur

WKR
@Theringworm I interpret your above post to mean you wore just your wading boot sans the waders when hunting higher ground? If so, what did you wear for socks...Goretex? Sealskinz? Other?
I would be intereseted in hearinig from others that have used their wading boots without the waders for extended hikes, meat packing, etc. Especially interested in what you wore for socks to compensate for the wading boots' permeability to water.
Thanks.

I wore the G3 waders and the boots the entire time. Keep in mind this was mid to late October. Very cold and wet. No way I would do that earlier in the season with warmer weather. Nor would I do it in steep terrain where The wading boots would let you down.

dtrkyman

WKR
Interesting regarding the BOA system, I have a ridiculous amount of miles on a pair of Korkers with the BOA, the boots are about toast but I keep milking them along as they are still comfortable, never an issue with the BOA.

I have worn the wading boots while wet wading and covered some miles, unless pretty flat I am not packing meat with them.