Floored vs. floorless shelter

ARomeroNM

FNG
Switched to floorless last year. Early September hunt in southern New Mexico, was sleeping in a basic tarp pitched open on one side. Perfect for me. I have to sleep with cool air to sleep well and floored shelters get to hot for me and not enough circulation. Now I have a supertarp and have taken it out once. more room and kicks the wind better cant wait to put it to more use and eventually sourcing an annex and stove for cold temp camping and hunting.

OP
K

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everyone. I have a Coleman Dakota one person tent that I thought about taking. On my scales, it weighed 3.8 lbs with poles and stakes included. I then bought a mountainsmith mountain shelter LT on here for $80 and it gets set up with trekking poles. It weighed 2.1 lbs on my scale with the stakes. Set it up in the back yard and I think that’s the one I’m gunna roll with. Really roomy, could stash my gear inside with me, and it kills 2 birds with 1 stone since it minimizes weight and I don’t have to mess with tent poles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I’ve had ( have both) but after spending time in one with a floor , I will be giving my floor less tents to my sons. In the mountains here in Colorado the floor less arnt to bad. But we hunt in Texas and a few southern states as well. And the “ critters” that get in a e not friendly. Scorpions, snakes, ticks, fleas, countless spiders, bees, wasps of all kinds, snakes of all kinds and sizes. No way will I sleep in floor less tent again. And those that say bugs and stuff get in either way, no way, not even close,as long as you don’t leave the door open. Or maybe have holes in the floor. Plus it’s nice not to have the dust dirt on everything, and being able to sweep it out is great. In my opinion it’s not even close, floor for sure.

Jreinan01

FNG
And the “ critters” that get in a e not friendly. Scorpions, snakes, ticks, fleas, countless spiders, bees, wasps of all kinds, snakes of all kinds and sizes.

I’m not even afraid of snakes but if I wake up to a snake curled up with me...I’m gonna f*¢€ing freak out.

Stalker69

WKR
Oh yea, I had a 7 foot Burmese python as a pet and have caught numerous rattle snakes. Even had one rattler in a terrarium at the house for a period of time. That I caught while hunting and put in my leaf chew pouch. Sealed it and carried it around in my pocket until I got home. But it’s far different waking up in the dark with one crawling on you and you don’t have any clue what kind it is, or if you should move or lay still. Scorpions like to crawl in your bag or shoes or under your pad. Then crawl around on you in the dark also. Yea, it’s a floor for this guy, I just sleep better. And things stay cleaner to.

Vandy321

WKR
I'm going to be trying floorless this year. How important is a ground cloth?

Just cut a piece or two of tyvex sheet, 4x8 or so for your sleeping pad/bag and maybe a little extra room to throw your phone, battery pack, headlamp or anything else you might not want potentially sitting in the mud.

Had pretty wet ground the other day, ran the stove for an hour and it dried it out nicely inside the tent. I carry a 2nd smaller swuare sheet of tyvek for my pack and tossing clothes onto. It weighs almost nothing, I dont see a reason not to pack it.