Floorless Shelters

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
You bet. The SL5 includes 2 main parts: the flysheet, which is basically a modern teepee with one center pole (I use my trekking poles joined by a piece of tubular webbing and some velcro straps) that is staked out at its 4 corners and 1/2 of the way down each wall to increase the interior space.

Then there is the nest, which has a solid floor and bug net walls and is shaped like a square with one corner cut off to make a vestibule under the flysheet. When using the nest you st it up first and it looks like a bug net teepee, then you put the flysheet over it. With the nest the SL5 is very similar to a traditional tent other than the single pole setup.

muleman

WKR
I've been looking at that exact setup to satisfy the needs of both myself and my wife. However, I am still a little confused about the nest/floor that comes with the tent. I don't have experience with nests so its tough to wrap my head around the details. Can you explain how it works with the SL5? Thanks.

Think of the nest as the inner portion of a two wall tent. The SL-5 nest has a solid floor with mesh sides. The nest is setup first and then the fly is positioned over the nest. The nest can be used stand alone for bug protection only, if the weather is fair. The nest can be setup using the provided pole, linked trekking poles or hung from overhead with cord.

Last edited:
OP
C
You bet. The SL5 includes 2 main parts: the flysheet, which is basically a modern teepee with one center pole (I use my trekking poles joined by a piece of tubular webbing and some velcro straps) that is staked out at its 4 corners and 1/2 of the way down each wall to increase the interior space.

Then there is the nest, which has a solid floor and bug net walls and is shaped like a square with one corner cut off to make a vestibule under the flysheet. When using the nest you st it up first and it looks like a bug net teepee, then you put the flysheet over it. With the nest the SL5 is very similar to a traditional tent other than the single pole setup.
Thanks! That helps a bunch. The floor is a big deal for my wife so having the floorless option for myself would be really nice. Looks like a good setup.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here is my SL5 with a two person nest from Mount Laurel Designs, all guy lines tied on, seam sealed, and 20 stakes.....just under 3.5 pounds all up....none too shabby given the space/weight/and level of protection from the ground and bugs for two people.

On scale:
IMG_0003.jpg

In action 4 days ago:
IMG_0010.jpg

My solo/bivy shelter is an SL3 and with all guy lines tied on, seam sealed, a TI goat bivy, and 12 stakes its 1 pound 15 oz

On scale:
IMG_0004.jpg

In action 2 nights ago:
IMGP1187.jpg