Florida Fishing Trip

7Bartman

WKR
Just got back from there. Can't go wrong with patch reef fishing. Lots of good eating fish and plenty of action. I like the boats out of Robbie's better than Bud N'Mary's. Grab a kayak out of Robbie's and check out the backwater with your own rod. Plenty of nice snook and snapper in the those mangrove tunnels.
I like the Lazy Lobster and the Pilot House in Key Largo for dinner.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
IMAG2484.jpg
Sunrise

Started the first leg of the trip. Got in last night. Staying in Jensen Beach.

Picking up my cousins tomorrow and headed to the Keys for the weekend. Then coming back here with my uncle for a few days before meeting the wife and kids in Orlando.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
IMAG2488.jpg
Calmer today.

A flock of pelicans was gliding along just above the surface. A dolphin full breached right under the lead bird just to mess with them. Funny stuff.

IMAG2486~2.jpg

Happy St. Patrick's day.

If you have some spare time drive to Big Pine key and check out the tiny deer. Get gas before leaving Miami, all the gas stations in the keys are crap and crowded. I suck at fishing but I’m pretty good at beer drinking on a boat if you need pointers with that.
The bottle bass are always biting... ;)

OP
DenverCountryBoy
IMAG2490.jpg
We went out on our charter Friday. We were at the dock early and left at first light.

IMAG2491.jpg

Catching bait was combat fishing with a dozen other boats.

After we had bait, we went out to a deeper reef and the first mate started chumming up fish. The blue parrots moved on to the chum first before the yellowtail snapper started pushing up. We cast out into the snapper and started hooking up.

IMAG2496.jpg

The four of us took turns reeling them in until the bucket of oat-fish-sand chum was exhausted. We ended up with 31 yellowtail in the cooler.

We pulled anchor and were moving from the reef to a wreck when the captain spotted a sailfish. The first mate threw a ballyhoo too eat and immediately got hit. He handed the rod to my cousin.

IMAG2510.jpg

It put up a good 20 minute fight, jumping and tail walking. At one point a second sailfish jumped at the same time as the hooked sail.

IMAG2513.jpg

He worked it to the boat. The crew stuck it with a tag and cut it free.

We moved on to the wreck, looking for Mutton snapper or Amber Jack to add to the cooler. We didn't get either; instead landing grouper and Red Snapper, both of which are out of season.

It was a really good day. IMAG2524.jpg

IMAG2539~3.jpg

Central FL Native here, do yourself the favor and get a steak at Linda's La Cantina in Orlando. A spot only known to long time residents, I almost feel bad advising a tourist to visit.

I have some buddies who tear em up inshore around Daytona, PM me for contact info they'll get you on the bull reds.

View attachment 393164
We went out on our charter Friday. We were at the dock early and left at first light.

View attachment 393180

Catching bait was combat fishing with a dozen other boats.

After we had bait, we went out to a deeper reef and the first mate started chumming up fish. The blue parrots moved on to the chum first before the yellowtail snapper started pushing up. We cast out into the snapper and started hooking up.

View attachment 393187

The four of us took turns reeling them in until the bucket of oat-fish-sand chum was exhausted. We ended up with 31 yellowtail in the cooler.

We pulled anchor and were moving from the reef to a wreck when the captain spotted a sailfish. The first mate threw a ballyhoo too eat and immediately got hit. He handed the rod to my cousin.

View attachment 393191

It put up a good 20 minute fight, jumping and tail walking. At one point a second sailfish jumped at the same time as the hooked sail.

View attachment 393193

He worked it to the boat. The crew stuck it with a tag and cut it free.

We moved on to the wreck, looking for Mutton snapper or Amber Jack to add to the cooler. We didn't get either; instead landing grouper and Red Snapper, both of which are out of season.

It was a really good day. View attachment 393206

View attachment 393207
Nice work. I'd say you got a pretty legit south FL experience there

OP
DenverCountryBoy
The trip was good. Not a ton of fishing during the family portion, but that's OK.

The rocket launch was pushed back so we didn't get to see that.

The kids loved the ocean. Lots of swimming in the waves.

fwafwow

WKR
I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks. Any tips, pointers, or local places to eat/check out are appreciated.

We're going down to Islamorada. Staying at Bud'n'Mary's marina for three nights. We have a full day charter booked for one day. Will fish from a bridge or shore the next day. Then head up to Miami to drop off my cousins.

After that, I'll have a few days to kill with my uncle. We have a place to crash near West Palm / Boynton Beach.

Then I'll meet the wife and kids in Orlando and say adios to my uncle as he heads back home.

We'll have two nights in Orlando and we are taking the kids, 8 and 6, to Disney the day after they arrive.

Then we are headed to Daytona / Ormond Beach for five nights.

It looks like a rocket launch is scheduled on our last full day.

Thoughts on watching the launch from Playalinda Beach?

Anyplaces we shouldn't miss?

Tips for DIY fishing in the Keys, Boynton, or Daytona?
Stop for a meal at Alabama Jack’s on the way to Key Largo